Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lowen SoDium posted:

Tip of the Day:

Your ex-coworker has kept at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I graduated over 10 years ago and I can still rattle off my 9-digit student ID number. I don't even remember what we used it for besides registering for classes but by god it still leaps to mind.

I graduated five years ago and same. Though we did use ours for a lot of stuff, some lecturers posted grades semi-publically but identified by ID# only, you had to write your ID# on every god drat exam paper which adds up, etc.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I have a small, very vague ancient tech question that I'm not sure where exactly to ask. So, here goes.

I have a really old, cheapo poo poo stereo set that was bought originally by my parents sometime when I was a pre-teen (I'm late 30's now), and I have been using it as my computer speakers because I'm a cheap SOB who never got around to replacing it. Anyway, it's been having some issues with growing frequency lately, and I was sort of curious what specifically is dying here. The speakers sometimes start making a sort of crackling, staticy noise, and it's kind of irritating if I want to watch teevee or something and actually make out what people are saying.

The back of the set has these dingy, tiny roundish holes, with mechanical locking systems on them, where the (extremely flimsy-looking) speaker cables are just shoved in. I figured out when the problem was starting that the sound artefact disappears if I unlock the speaker plug things, clean the (open wiring) cable ends a bit, and replace them in the sockets. The speaker cables themselves are just drilled into the wooden speaker boxes, so I can't go poking around at that end without some serious dedication. I have not brought any new electrical devices to my place for a long-rear end time, so I'm still guessing something is wrong with the machine itself. Should I try, uh, deskinning the cables for a couple cm and cut the tips, since the ends look very frayed? I can try to provide pictures later if none of this makes sense.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Not even near the top of the list of awful things about war, but relevant to this thread I think, a retro computer museum in Ukraine likely has been destroyed.

quote:

Russia's War In Ukraine Results In Bombing of Retro Computer Museum

The Club 8-Bit museum in Mariupol housed over a 120 retro computing devices, including some old-school Apple and Atari hardware, along with Soviet-era computers.

Earlier this week, the owner of the Club 8-Bit museum in Mariupol, Ukraine, reported the news on a Facebook page. “That's it, the Mariupol computer museum is no longer there,” wrote Dmitry Cherepanov.

On Facebook, Cherepanov told PCMag: "I only have information that the museum area was bombed." He evacuated from the city on March 15th.

[...]

Cherepanov had spent over 15 years collecting the hardware, which also included an Apple IIc computer, Compaq Portable III, an Atari 400, and many Soviet-era computers from the 1980s and 1990s. “In total, more than 500 exhibits of the IT sphere from the 1950s to the early 2000s” were located at the museum, according to Club 8-Bit’s website.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

How the hell can you people remember cd keys I couldn't even memorize the noclip code from doom

IDDQD IDKFA DNKROZ

I also remember my student ID number even though I haven't needed it for quite a few years.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The top right book...Shelf? Nook? Also contains, among others, Asimov's Naked Sun, Clarke's Childhood's End and Bradbury's Illustrated Man. And a bunch of books which I'm assuming are popular space science stuff. This is a good nostalgia image :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I can hear everything happening in that avatar every time I see it. A+, wonderful tech relic

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think I'd like a book printed on plastic, even though Babylon 5 does feature a lot of cool alien documents on transparent plastic foils.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We'd probably be better off in many ways by first trying to recycle the literal islands of plastic waste polluting the oceans and killing countless wildlife. But :capitalism:, so maybe your tree oil plastic start-up will make billions!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I think if we cut down all the trees and use big machines to grind them to dust and use other machines to force out the oil... ?

Saruman, your plans will end poorly for you :ohno:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Props for the E-rotic tape, that sure was an era!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mario teaches cargo cult typing

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Trabant posted:

^ right down to the incessant hiss-buzz in the background!

Mikko 3:16 says I just nokia'd your rear end?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

How about pirating music on old pictures of people's skeletons?

Gizmodo posted:

Exposed, developed, and then discarded, X-ray film sheets were consistent with the target. The celluloid plates coated with light-sensitive emulsion on one or both sides were thick and durable enough to scratch grooves of dance music, popular songs, speeches by politicians, and pretty much everything that came from radio speakers. Then the thick radiographs were cut into discs of 23-25 centimeters in diameter, sometimes with uneven brims, and given labels and holes in the middle. These 78 rpm, normal furrow (i.e. non-LP) discs contain about two to three minutes of voice or music recordings, says Hajdú.

So that is how the first X-ray records were born in the studios of the Hungarian Radio, and as Hajdú emphasises, today we see them as extremely exciting pieces of art which can be viewed as recycling and early multi-media works.

[...]The history of the X-ray records did not end with the Second World War, though. In the 50s, very similar records appeared in the Soviet Union, illegally disseminating the most popular recordings of banned western music among the young people of the isolated country.

Of course x-ray film as an imaging technique is also a tech relic these days :corsair:, but I'm sure there's fights over image fidelity among radiographers of all generations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: Carefully Curated > Tech Relics: it smells of what I'm hoping is just urine

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What problem is this thing solving?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's pretty cool, though as noted above, you'd think speech-to-text these days would be a better alternative. But back then? Nifty.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Depends on what you are doing - there are enough technical tasks where you're either typing things speech to text doesn't handle at all (programming being an obvious example), or using a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

If I had just one hand, and someone at work had the bright idea to replace one of those keyboards with a microphone and software solution, I'd be looking into what sort of aids and accommodations would make it easier for a one-armed man to murder someone.

Fair enough!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

FYI because you seem clueless: COMPUTERS loving SUCK.

Imagine hating women this much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I guess the lemming is riding the rainbow (:catdrugs:), but it looks more like they're falling :ohdear: