Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Had a 300 baud modem hooked up to our Commodore 64 to dial up local BBS servers. Had one of these bad boys, too:

And a third-party fan which sat on top of it to keep it from literally melting down.

that pic doesn't do it justice, those things were like 18" front to back and weighed 15 pounds

did you have a disk-nothcher so you could use both sides of the disk? good times

Hot Cosby has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Denim Dude posted:

my first modem. 28kbps us robotics external. i fondly remember waiting like 5 minutes for a poorly photoshopped picture of cindy crawford sitting on a huge dong.

When I upgraded from internal 2400 to 14.4k I wanted an external usr sportster so bad, an extra box! with blinky lights! I had to settle for an internal sportster though, the external costed way more.

What did you all use for terminal emulator/bbses? I started with procomm then telemate, then I tried to like communique, then along came terminate, it owned, 8k zmodem nigga. (all these were the dos versions, i did try procomm for win31 at one point but it sucked even worse than the dos ver)

Also I've seen several people mention downloading nudie-lady gifs and watching them dl line by line, did any of the terminal emulators do that natively? I can't remember, I do remember at one point I had a tsr that would detect incoming gif data and would display it line by line as it dl'ed.

Anyone else ever be on the phone with a friend and be all like "ok you type ata, I'll type atd and we hang up the phones"? warezing 90s style.