Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Has 8-Bit Guy ever done some chud social media posting or something? Like, I totally get that vibe from him too, but I've also never seen specific evidence of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I suspected that's where things were coming from, and will continue to watch Off-kilter Texasman deep clean VIC-20s.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I picked up a Chromebook about a year ago and my mind is still blown that there are now laptops that can be used on your lap.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

2600 Space Invaders has a bunch of fun co-op modes, Asteroids plays better than the arcade original, and Dragster is still great if you and a friend are both very drunk.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And if your TV doesn't have any sort of tuner built in, you can plug the console into something that does have a tuner like an old VCR and then hook that up to the TV.

For consoles like the 2600 that put out RF over a single cable with an RCA connector on the end, you want an adapter like this. https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-2-Pack-F-Type-Adapter-Commodore/dp/B06XSL31B3/

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

What's the explanation for why so many of those ran on batteries by default? Was it really as simple as screwing people into buying more things separately? Were AC adapters expensive things back then?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Back then, they would have used linear power supplies with relatively bulky and expensive transformer.

Thanks, that makes sense and now I'm probably going to spend all night reading about how power supplies work.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have memories of shoving in a random mix of whatever AAs, Cs, an Ds were available (usually the dogshit grade non-alkaline "heavy duty" type that died in 5 minutes) and shimming as needed with aluminum foil. Then upgrading to "rechargeable" batteries that would lose 80% of their charge from sitting on a shelf for a day.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

He also did that Polybius game for PSVR and I think has a VR game in development now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hello, I am the weirdo that actually paid the registration fees for Scorched Earth and mIRC.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Anyone that types "send" instead of "put" is a horrible monster.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Probably kind of :filez: but gently caress it. WinWorld is a great resource for OS installers and clean disk images of ancient apps.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I despise Bluetooth audio (even when it finally works the latency drives me up the wall), but I still prefer not having a 3.5mm jack. I can deal with not being able to use headphones with my phone at all if it means better waterproofing.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My current phone is a Nexus 5X and I wish it didn't have a headphone jack. About once a month it gets so packed full of crud that it thinks headphones are connected when they aren't and I have to swab it out to get sound again.

I guess I could plug it with hot glue or something.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Dec 20, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Right now I've got electrical tape over it but if that doesn't hold up I'll order one of those ducks.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

SubNat posted:

Oh, I thought you were actually being serious before.
Egg on my face I guess.

I'm being completely serious. My phone rides in my front left pocket so it gets all sorts of pocket fluff and junk in it, sometimes even getting the charger to make a good connection is a challenge.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You're all going to be so jealous when I post pics of my still working 5X in this thread in 2040.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I did a format+reinstall last night to switch from 7 to 10. Even on a completely fresh install I was able to just punch in the Windows 7 key I bought in 2009 and it activated fine. It seems like any vaguely valid key is good enough for them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Fool posted:

Retail key or OEM key? Because there is a big difference.

I really don't remember, it was whatever was cheapest on Newegg at the time. Probably OEM, maybe not.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Booourns posted:

I remember that certain CRT monitors would make the most awful high pitched noise when they were showing mostly yellow/red as well

Every now and then I get nostalgic enough to hook up my SNES to a CRT TV and then that noise makes me shut it off after 20 minutes. Being able to hear those frequencies made it hell to go anywhere with a bunch of TVs during the 90s.

On the other hand, I guess it's sort of cool I can still hear that in my old age.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's only coming from your headphones/speakers, make sure your computer isn't set to play back audio from the line-in. I run the audio from game consoles into my line-in and if I forget to mute it when I'm done I get screamed at when I scroll.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bloopsy posted:

Was the SNES version of Doom the one that didn't have a soundtrack?

The SNES version is notable for having one of least lovely renditions of the soundtrack on console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-smObIC_g

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Meanwhile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gEkNVq1ct0&t=8s

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When I played Doom for the first time shortly after launch, it was on a PC with a Roland SC-55 hooked up so that's what I will always remember Doom sounding like. The current GZDoom default sound is close enough that I don't feel the need to change it, and that's great.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I can't find the video that has it, but I think you're thinking of Rediffusion.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Why do YouTube videos automatically embed for some users but not others? It's been years and I need answers.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

oohhboy posted:

If you use right click paste it doesn't.

Just tested this and can confirm, but LOL what the hell.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My first PC had the control key above left shift. :coffee:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Digital watches and A/V components with as much text on them as can possibly fit are extremely my jam.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Plinkey posted:

I got an apex or some other generic dvd player brand like that in 2001ish because it had region free VCD built in.

...not that i ever downloaded any movies

Also had an Apex. There was some weird secret button combo you could hit on the remote and it would bring up a menu where you could enable playback of different kinds of VideoCD and also change the region code of the player as often as you wanted. It could even do a decent job of displaying PAL DVDs on my NTSC television.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

boar guy posted:

and then once a week a clerk dumped that bin into the dumpster out back

According to a friend that worked at Staples at the time, it was exactly this. They received a big Flexplay cardboard display with a slot in the top for dropping in used discs, but no instructions at all on what to actually do with it. A few months later when they stopped carrying Flexplay stuff and the bin was half full, the whole display and all the discs went in the dumpster.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It sounds like you had one of the "Quiet" Unicomps and yeah those have no reason to exist.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Horace posted:

I've heard it said the problem stems from the Model M having a higher power draw than these adaptors expect, but I don't know how true that is.

This tracks because every time I found an adapter that seemed to work well with my '91 it'd blow itself up in about three months.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Must be in someone's private collection, the joysticks haven't been gnawed off by a toddler and swallowed.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My last employer blocked all of Something Afwful except for the forums. So I couldn't look at the front page or buy an avatar at work, but posting on the forums was fine.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Has anybody made a degauss simulator?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

he just started talking about how he wants to gently caress and cum in a gun

Link?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

r u ready to WALK posted:

At least techmoan is pure as the driven snow

Techmoan is a white supremacist, based on a set of political viewpoints I just completely made up myself and then projected onto him.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

blatman posted:

if LGR is bad please nobody tell me ever thanks

LGR/8-Bit Guy/Techmoan is a nazi is a perpetual cycle and last time it flared up it was because LGR was willing to do a review on Ion Fury and everyone played Internet telephone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Moo the cow posted:

Somebody post the video where he and his friends walk around his town, open-carrying rifles and pistols to 'educate the public about gun rights'.

If this really happened, I will reverse my opinion of him. I'm a full blown insane gun nut but I want zero association with weridos that open carry for performative reasons.