Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dang, I miss CRTs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did the 32x have any killer games?

No.

Apr 7, 2003

snorch posted:

On a train through Italy:

Never Change a Running System.

Mama mia!

Apr 7, 2003

Some European countries had cityphone networks, IIRC Germany had the "Handyphone" network that only worked in the city you lived in.

AMPS (analogue) cellular networks had a range of about five miles on a handheld, much longer on a car phone. Of course in 1988 you weren't going to have AMPS cells in the middle of nowhere because the customer base wasn't there.

AMPS was low frequency and penetrated buildings pretty well.

Apr 7, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What was the power draw on those old machines? I get the impression newer chips use less power but I don’t know if it’s significant.

An entire Dell slimline desktop 386 had an 85w PSU.

Apr 7, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's literal magic. A strip of metal that's one length is a capacitor, increase the length a little bit, now it's an inductor.

It's pretty wild to think about electricity in general and how we've harnessed it to do poo poo that would have been seen as witchcraft all in a little under two centuries.

Apr 7, 2003

Bargearse posted:

I'd have considered dual CRT monitors myself, but at the time I had a DEC 21 inch CRT I'd found at an electronic junk shop for ten bucks. I don't think my desk could have taken the weight of a second one.

I had some spare money I didn't actually earn back in 2001 and I was dumb enough to drop it on a gaming PC including a 21" Samsung Syncmaster monster of a monitor, the one with the blue-colored arc on the top of the monitor. Thing would heat my room pretty decently by itself. Kept it until 2007 or so.

Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people don't have credit cards.

lol

Apr 7, 2003

It's cool that Comcast has completely rebranded to Xfinity and left their lovely old toxic name behind but still engage in the same lovely business practices.

Apr 7, 2003

Verizon isn't cheap and they can be absolute hell to work with, but at least you get what you're paying for.

Apr 7, 2003

lobsterminator posted:

I'm primarily an Amiga fan these days. I had it as a kid, but it was mostly just a game machine. It's been fun learning how advanced the OS was.

It's fun to think about how short the heyday of these systems were as an adult. I had the same I5-3570K system 2012-2019, which was about two years longer than the Amiga's commercial relevance. Or the C-64's, for that matter.

Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some companies use computre for actual work.

Gross

Apr 7, 2003

2008 seems very late for something like that. I'd be surprised if they sold many.

Apr 7, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I sat up nights with my blanket over my head and a flashlight and a catalog lusting over a CompuAdd 386/33

If I miss anything from that era, it's all the bizarre computer brands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0l_QLuThOE

DTK DATA

Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

The Pro was never really marketed to consumers, and few OEM server manufacturers used it either. They seem to mostly turn up in very expensive dual-processor machines in my experience.

Unfortunately a lot of Pentium Pros got melted down years ago by gold recyclers thanks to some dumb urban myth that each chip contains an entire ounce of gold.

I'm old enough to remember when they were new and they were popular in flight sim circles due to Falcon 3.0

if you were a Real Gamer circa 1992 you had the Thrustmaster HOTAS rig and rudder pedals, and a Pentium Pro 133mhz for that framerate boost. Only $4-5k in 1992 dollars.

Apr 7, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

TVs still have coax for hooking up antennas, but as flavor.flv noted above, newer TVs won't know what to do with an analog signal over it.

There were digital-to-analog coax in, coax out converters a while back to accommodate SDTV owners with antennas after the digital switchover but I can't find any new ones for sale now.

Apr 7, 2003

Useful enough, I also realized that I got the conversion backwards. oh well

Apr 7, 2003

You Am I posted:

I haven't given the case a clean up, kinda like its marks and scratches. I'll remove the auction lot sticker from the top of it.

I really love the 80s-ness of the Apple store that sold it back in the late 80s/early 90s.

That Avante logo is the most 1988 thing I've ever seen.

Apr 7, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think these things are basically a game of telephone at this point, written by people who are basing their aesthetics of other CRT emulators and videos of terminals, rather than a real terminal.

I've spent a lot of time on a VT220 and I've used plenty of other text terminals. They're not that distorted. None of them had this absurdly persistent phosphor. None of them had that odd line progressing slowly down the screen... that's something you see in videos of CRTs, and while I'm not sure I think it's basically an aliasing effect due to the framerate of the video camera vs. the refresh rate of the screen.

The only monitor I've ever seen with that sort of phosphorous persistence was the base pack-in for the Epson QX10, which came out in 1983.

Apr 7, 2003

Armacham posted:

I finally got fiber to my house last week. $70 a month forever. When I called to cancel the cable, cox tried to say "oh we can also lower your price to $70 and we are going to be bringing out fiber in your area soon"
:fuckoff:

Most cable networks have been at least partially fiber since the early '00s, the feds gave out a lot of money to get that rolled out.

Apr 7, 2003

Gravid Topiary posted:

QDP 100 is standing behind you right now

i don't need another z-80 or s-100 computer in my life (they're boring) but man you could do so many lines of good peruvian flake off that solid walnut case while you're waiting for your fart app to compile

For $21,970.66 in 2023 dollars the case had better be solid walnut

Apr 7, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

One of my neighbors somehow had dozens of IBM 5150s in his trash and I took no note of it at the time because it was like 1996.

There used to be a big pinball and arcade game expo here that got permanently canceled moving forward - it could only exist in that space of time when those old arcade machines went from being boat anchors anyone could grab off a curb to being hoarded collectors items. The machines they used to bring in were being bought up by private collectors and they could no longer continue to fill the event space with machines. Pretty sad.

Apr 7, 2003

Data Graham posted:

That 90s product photo style where the physical objects appear to be floating obliquely in space sure were a vibe

That's more a late eighties thing, in the nineties everything was just tilted up and to the left

Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

There is also a small town in northern Germany called Rom, which I know about from that time a British pensioner decided to drive to Rome and then blindly followed his satnav as it took him a thousand kilometres in the wrong direction. When he got to Rom he crashed into the welcome sign.

Amazing

Apr 7, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

one of those repro SE/30 boards you can get these days.

That's wild and I figure it's people who never had to actually use SE/30s buying them

Apr 7, 2003

The corrosion on the SE logic board steel bits is pretty impressive, did someone store it in a sauna?

Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it normal to end your messages with heil Hitler, best regards in the ham world? Or is it just these guys.

Yes, Ham Radio guys are mostly old racists

Apr 7, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You think about 69ing with Hitler?

You don't?

Apr 7, 2003

The Sausages posted:

meanwhile my local library used physical cards for everything right up until the 2000s.

Card catalog memory unlocked, for some reason my brain just assumed that we all wandered around libraries looking for books until you posted this

Apr 7, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Goodwill can still have interesting stuff if they do a good job curating a handpicked section, but this is highly variable depending on the store.

Goodwill's good poo poo (of any type; clothes, books, furniture, electronics) ends up being saved for their bidding website and the stores only have trash nowadays. You may get lucky but it's very unlikely anymore.

Apr 7, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKNQCnNxZLg

I like how this guy goes into a different era and medium than most retrocomputing channels, digging up how to's and software that I would have assumed long lost by now.

That phone was nearly contemporaneous with a Motorola music phone, the Motorola SLVR L7

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_slvr_l7-1053.php

I bought one of these because it was the 'iTunes phone" and I figured out I could load 50 songs on it and ended up giving up on that and spending my time trying to browse WAP wikipedia instead. What a piece of poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

snorch posted:

Minicomputers, in the museum section

What's the thing above the main panel?

Apr 7, 2003

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Speaking of dismantling tech, it's not a relic yet, but Samsung will be discontinuing support for the Gear S3 Frontier with newer phones. Didn't stop me from replacing the battery though.

Looks like a real piece of poo poo, OP

Apr 7, 2003

What's up with the current cassette revival? They sound like poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

This kid is a giant loser dork

Apr 7, 2003

In the mid-eighties you could open respectable magazines like Compute! and see ads for software that facilitated piracy. What a time!

]

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a Realistic LD player from 1992. Unfortunately, when I put in a disc, it kicks it back out or says "no disc".

Any ideas?

doesn't sound very realistic

Apr 7, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

He must have found one of the last thrift stores that haven't caught on to bump the price of literally everything by 100%+.

The stores finally caught on that people can make lots of money from things in the stores. And not just electronics. Kitchen gadgets, some old/rare DVDs VHS, and unknown brand name clothing that now has a group dedicated just to that brand.

Even the non-chain stores are doing the same thing in rural-as-hell towns.

It's a waste of time going to Goodwill anymore because all the good poo poo ends up on their auction site - https://shopgoodwill.com/home

For a while people were raiding Burlington locations on Tuesday for good poo poo to arbitrage and apparently they got wise to that too

Apr 7, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Who were PIP TVs even for

degenerate sports gamblers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

When your computer doesn't control your camcorder