Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy loving poo poo Radiskull and Devil Doll I remember those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've loved Porcupine Tree for so long and I never realized that the song Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth is both about, and uses a clip from, that video

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Germstore posted:

I made it all the way through FF7 PC, but it was definitely a second class experience. I remember it took me a lot of work to get the FMVs to work.

FMVs worked ok, but I remember some of the Gold Saucer games being sped up to the point of being unplayable (including the motorcycle chase scene at the beginning, IIRC the whole sequence was over in like 10 seconds when I played it). Also the MIDI conversions of the soundtrack were pretty bad; at least when I got a better sound card the MIDI instrumentation was a lot better. FFVIII was way more egregious in that regard, the music sounded like total rear end and almost ruined what was otherwise a great soundtrack for me.

On the other hand the PC port of VIII came with that little Chocobo minigame that was originally released for the JP-only "memory card with a screen" (like the Dreamcast VMU). It was a fun little time-waster and could snag you some really good items for the actual game. Really helped out when I did my low-level runs of the game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayne curr posted:

It blew me away how some parts of the game where just a single level section copy+pasted over and over and over :psyduck:

That level where you first encounter the Flood (the Library?) was really loving egregious in that regard. All the old reviews are like "oooh spooky new enemies in cool open-yet-claustrophobic spaces" but really it was just "dark hallway section with lovely suiciding enemies coming at you from every angle" 50 times in a row

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Remember Norton Change Disk?

2-pane navigation/file editing, mouse support...poo poo was glorious. My dad had it installed on every computer we had growing up, and I remember being really confused when I'd go on my friends/school computers and "ncd" would give me the good ol' "bad command or file name"

2-pane navigation still rules and Xplorer^2 is like the first program I re-install on every computer

VVVVVVVVV I think ncd was actually released with Norton Utilities originally, but IIRC NU and NC were pretty similar overall (I think NU was rolled into NC?)

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Feb 9, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Kins posted:

Oh, if we're going down that route...

reported for :filez:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

remember when memes were still called image macros?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My dad has a steadily growing collection of these because I keep finding them at garage sales and poo poo for a couple of bucks and buying them for him

I don't even know how to use RPN, he loving loves that poo poo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

Upgraded my vid card this weekend which got me thinking about their physical growth. I believe first dedicated card I recall was a VooDoo2. I tend to buy a mid level PC, then upgrade the video card after 4 years which gives me another 2 or 3 of good use out of it so I've upgraded quite a few cards since that VooDoo and every one has gotten a little thicker but this latest card was double the length of my old card. It fit, but I had to reroute cables as it stretches from the back of the tower to almost touching the drive bay housing.

My motherboard died last month and I didn't feel like replacing my processor at the same time so I picked up the only in-store mobo for my outdated i5 (socket 1155) processor for like $40.

It's so small that the fans/heat sink assembly on my 970GTX blocks 2 of the 4 SATA ports on the board. Oh well, I don't need a functional CD drive anyway!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mostly I use it to burn CDs since my car is old and only has a CD player in it.

The Mobo I got is a good example of "get what you pay for," the 4 SATA ports are only SATA II so it nerfs my SSD pretty hard. I'll probably end up buying a $20 PCI-E SATA III card for my HD and connecting the CD drive to the freed up SATA II port.

Hopefully that PCI card will do the trick, apparently there's only a 16x PCI3 (occupied by my graphics card) and a 1x PCI2 slot, so I'm not sure if the PCI2 connection will bottleneck the SSD regardless of it it's SATA II or III...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mechanism Eight posted:

That awkward period in the early 2000s where manufacturers had to suddenly deal with balooning thermal load really was wild. Suddenly it was all copper heatsinks, delta fans, blower coolers, phase change... :allears:

Teenage me lusted after an AMD with one of these badboys

You just had to ensure it was firmly mounted to the board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39D4529FM4

First I thought the AMD chips were blowing out at like 39.0C

Then I realized it was 390C and :psyduck:

Did AMD chips just have zero thermal protection back then? It seems like the Intel chips kept it pretty cool (under 40C) even without the heatsink.

I think my i5 will shut itself off if it hits ike 95C...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

Funny because this was a 960GTX. Absolutely dwarfed my old card.

The packaging and marketing stuff has gotten absurd too. Every port with a dust plug, rubber protector on the socket pins (or whatever that term is), came with a massive movie-style poster, and instead of a sticker it came with a little painted metal badge and yes I did stick it on my case.

To be fair, the dust plugs are useful and the socket protector is a great idea considering even a small scratch on those pins can seriously compromise the functionality of the card. Thankfully Intel CPUs have the pins on the motherboard end nowadays, but somehow the mobo pins are even more fragile than the CPU pins used to be.

Also yeah the poster was dumb but Intel's little stickers are ingrained in me from my youth so you bet your rear end I put that little metal badge on my tower next to the Core i5, Samsung SSD and HyperX memory stickers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

How do you do a complete reformat with no optical drive?

Boot from a thumbdrive. I had to do that on an old Netbook for a work emergency last week. Got Win7 and Lubuntu dual-booted entirely from USB.

Oh! Fun fact I learned the hard way, though - MSI's "Fast Boot" utility really just disables a bunch of BIOS-level poo poo, including USB support. It's also a Windows program, so if you gently caress up your installation and have Fast Boot enabled...honestly I dunno how you'd get around that. Maybe reset the BIOS?

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Mar 15, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pretty sure The Hobbit is garbage at any framerate.

:agreed:

I've never even seen the 3rd one because the first 2 were so bad. Generic as gently caress action movies with Middle-Earth overlays. And I think the LotR movies were friggin awesome so my bar is set pretty low. del Toro leaving was the worst thing that happened to those movies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pastis posted:

Me-- I'm the guy. Your friend's dad is supercool. All the Porcupine Tree mixes are incredible. I will never give up my SACD/DVD-A collection.

I wouldn't have the audio gear to appreciate it but any sound engineer that Steven Wilson trusts must be a master of the craft so IMO this is pretty cool

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think I was using Pidgin in the last gasps of my IM days. Multi-client integration was pretty nice for the few international friends I had who used ICQ or MSN instead of AIM.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IIRC a bunch of botters were doing things like submitting enough points for 3 Xbox 360s, i.e. greedy fatwallet assholes not realizing that MS would obviously not send out 3 Xbox360s to 1 person when it would take like a month of human input to earn enough points for 1 system. I might be wrong on the actual prize, but yeah, if you submit claims for 5 copies of Vista Ultimate, obviously you're gaming the system.

The same type of people who buy 5 of a TV that's mispriced from $1000 to $100 and then rant and rage when Best Buy doesn't honor it (despite the fact that any online retailer worth a drat has wording in their ToS that says they don't have to honor those kinds of pricing errors).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I knew someone who had 19216811 as their ICQ number

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I saw one of those cars on the road the other day. Didn't that thing basically kill off Plymouth for good? The thing looks like the front axle will just fall off if you nudge it with your foot.

What is your av from?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Germstore posted:

I remember when gmail was introduced and it was like 1.8 gigs of storage and everyone was like :aaa:. Took me a while to get an invite but I have FirstnameLastname@gmail.com which people seem to find vaguely surprising despite the fact that both names are pretty uncommon and as far as I can tell there's only two other people with my name with any kind of web presence.

As far as I've ever been able to find, my first/last name combination is entirely unique. Anybody with a combination that remotely resembles mine spells it totally differently. I still had to add 85 to my firstname.lastname to get the gmail address, and I joined back when you needed an invite for it. Never understood how that happened.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mercury is actually Ford's economy brand, Lincoln is their luxury brand. I forget what the Mercury version is but the Ford Crown Vic and the Lincoln Continental are very obviously all the same frame. Same with the Mountaineer/Explorer/Aviator and the Expedition/Navigator.

The fun thing is strictly-national brands. I don't know if any exist anymore in European countries (except for multi-national brands that just don't really exist in the US like Peugeot) but China has like 5+ brands that only exist in that country.

I distinctly remember one of the Chinese brand logos being literally the Star Trek Federation logo. Also the taxis were all VW Santanas which I think is the Euro name for the Passat?

e: I think the Nissan Pulsar was sold in the US as the Sentra and later the Versa, could be wrong though.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Mar 23, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when 90s cars rejected the boxy electric shaver look of the 80s in favor of more organic lines?

Like the frog-eyed 99 Ford Taurus? :classiclol:

I stopped liking Volvo's design when they did this. The early 90's boxy Volvos are far superior to both the mid-late 90's "Boxy with slight curves" and the modern "this looks like basically every other car on the market" look

computer parts posted:

Infiniti exists in the US, though they're not that common.

Really? Around here (NJ, NYC suburbs) I see 'em all the time. Lexus and Infiniti are the definition of "I want people to know I have money, but not that much money" car.

Also, around here at least, Maserati seems to be usurping BMW as the noveau riche douchenozzle car of choice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maseratis are showing up more because Maserati dropped their prices and started releasing more affordable (but still high enough that the filthy poors can't afford it) models.

"noveau riche" is absolutely a dedicated market share: it's the home of the Porsche Cayenna and Panamera, the BMW 3 and 5 series, Mercedes C class, etc. Not to mention all the luxury crossovers tailor-made for the soccer mom who doesn't want to look like A Poor in a minivan.

Also I thought the Infiniti G35 was a rebranded Nissan Skyline and not a 350Z? I never knew why they didn't stick with the Skyline name - it sounds cool and also has a ton of immediate brand recognition among weeaboos and anybody who's ever seen Tokyo Drift. (Not to be confused with the Skyline GT-R of course)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

theultimo posted:

Nope, it's a luxury 350z

The skyline is just a Nissan GT-R

Yeah they rebranded the Skyline GT-R as just the GT-R a few years ago.

According to Wikipedia though the G35 is in fact a Skyline. The 350Z and the Skyline are built on the same platform but the actual G35 is the same car that's known as the Skyline V35 outside the US.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mad Monk posted:

No idea, it's got the same engine as the 350z so that's where I got my idea from. I forgotten all about the skyline. Now I guess their normal model cars are Sentra, Altima, and Maxima?

They've still got the Versa and the 370Z being sold stateside as well.

I'm still sad they killed off the Xterra for the Rogue though, the Xterra was way more iconic (and is one of those cars that you never see in bad shape, I see tons of older Xterras on the road and they're always in excellent shape.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why don't car manufacturers run taxi companies? (:smugmrgw:)

They don't but they devote millions of dollars to nailing taxi exclusivity contracts:

http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/taxi-of-tomorrow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

feedmegin posted:

They're still pretty much standard in Europe, so someone's definitely making them!

You can definitely still get hatchbacks in the US. Buddy of mine just bought a 2016 Subaru WRX hatchy, and I know the Civic at least still comes in a hatchback version.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

theultimo posted:

And yet no hot hatches really, other then GTI

As far as I can see a hot hatch is just a hatchback with performance specs, in which case the Focus RS, Civic SI and WRX STI all fit that bill

Plus whatever that performance model of the Fiat 500 is called

e: also anything I didn't mention on this list:

http://www.revvedmag.com/features/editorials-opinions/hottest-hot-hatches-top-10-most-tunable-2016-hatchbacks/

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Mar 24, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't get a 2016. A lot of people are pissed that Subaru hasn't made a wrx this generation

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/wrx/models-specs.html ?

I might be wrong about the hatchback part but it's definitely a 2016 WRX

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

theultimo posted:

E: yeah no hatchback

Yeah, as both me and Gutbomb literally just concluded.

Doesn't change the fact that there are a bunch of other hot hatches currently being produced.

e: not to mention 2015/2016 were the first years they didn't do a hatchback WRX and there's been a lot of backlash so clearly the market still exists

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hatchbackdatassup

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This tired shtick comes up time and time again

Sorry that after 98 pages people start talking about other poo poo I guess? Should we close the thread now?

Regardless of the actual topic this thread is full of people having civil and fun discussions on a variety of subjects which already puts it above like 95% of the threads in GBS as far as content

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

i guess i never understood what was so massively important and differentiating about how the trunk lid worked

I agree completely, I was just responding to someone who said they don't make that body style anymore. I personally think hatchbacks are ugly.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What was with people who thought you actually had to type a question into AskJeeves?

IIRC they marketed it pretty hard as just that. This was back in the dawn of reliable search engines so I feel like there was probably a significant number of people who searched like that anyway.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We've already had this discussion and established he was wrong

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DexDrive was awesome. 2 different Final Fantasy Tactics save editors for FFT Dexdrive saves existed (and still exist!)

http://www.m-l.org/~greerga/fftnet/fftastic/main.html
http://www.m-l.org/~greerga/fftnet/fftedit/

DexDrive was what gave me the entire-summer-wasting idea of doing a Xenogears playthrough and keeping a save file for literally every save point in the game. Dunno what I was thinking back then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nierbo posted:

That looks sweet actually..

How about the pocket station

I don't think this ever made it to the US. The Dreamcast VMUs were basically the same thing, though. Also, the PC version of Final Fantasy 8 came with a little desktop app that was the Pocket Station game from the Japanese PS1 release. It was neat, would get you some good poo poo for the actual game.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

woah I remember renting tactics and begging pops to buy a memory card. We came straight off NES and the "save your game" thing was a completely alien concept.

E: this post

I first had to buy a memory card for my N64 for Legend of the Mystical Ninja (totally worth it). I got one of those combo memory card/rumble pack things and it was a harsh lesson in 3rd-party accessories (gently caress you Mad Catz)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

:lol: at that boomerang-shaped N64 controller

Google the PS3 controller prototype for extra laffs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

lol you can still buy these goddamned things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005T3S8/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?qid=1459951941&sr=8-17&pi=AC_SX132_SY191_QL65&keywords=digital+organizer

also appearantly you can still buy NIB Palm devices? Which is kind of incredible actually

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007...6kAL&ref=plSrch

I directly attribute games on my Palm III/Vx/Tungsten to my drop-off in academic success starting around sophomore year of high school.

Also Treos were the best because they were basically smartphones before smartphones were a thing (and so none of my college professors realized I could access the internet from my phone). Also the Treo keyboards were way easier to type on than the Blackberry keyboards :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Humphreys posted:

I had an MP3 player (Pine D'Music 32MB) that used a parallel interface to transfer songs. The bundled program woudl copy any folder. So I used it like a USB stick for my University work.

I used to do this with my Creative MP3 players by zipping the folders I needed, renaming the file from .zip to .mp3 and loading it up. Kind of a clunky method but worth it to use my 40gb player as storage back when like a 4gb USB drive cost over $100.