Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wait no, they were IIGSes, not IIcs. Still pretty great though.

e: good times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0N9bSR-zJs

holy poo poo Rastan looked really good for a game from 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iVu2GqrQJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5X4eHmOtiM

The music from Zany Golf is embedded in my brain forever :shepicide:

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Imagined posted:

Don't play dumb. Every zone in FFXIV is divided into 5-to-a-dozen separate areas with a loading screen between them. Even if they're quick loading screens, they're there. This was coming from my being used to WoW where you can go across an entire continent seamlessly.

that's a pretty big exaggeration, none of the zones have anywhere near a dozen separate areas, and the borders aren't really every twenty feet or whatever. They're pretty sizeable zones, and the expansion zones are much larger. Doesn't WoW have miles and miles of featureless empty areas anyway?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until you complained about mountains and walls being impassible borders and now I just think you're quoting from the official forums

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I did not even understand this until like a decade later, but the IIGS/Macintosh dichotomy was why I started to dislike Steve Jobs. He seemingly stopped caring (if he ever really did) about how amazingly fun Apple II computers were as a gaming platform, and the IIGS was totally boss but I barely even knew it existed at the time and then suddenly the next thing I know it is a given that if you want to play games you need a Windows machine and then it was all over and as a result I never wanted another Apple product after ~1992.

Also I swear if any of you bring up WINE I will cry and tell my parents you are being mean. Maybe the issue is largely moot now, but I am not talking about now. I am talking about how the IIGS was awesome and should have been Apple's future :(

Using IIGSes in school for several years was my first and only exposure to Macs for the longest time, and I remember the first time I was at someone's house and they had a Mac running OS5 or 6 and I was just like "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

Seeing the games on that thing was so depressing, based on the IIGS it never even occurred to me that Macs weren't every bit as good for gaming as PCs

I mean compare that Rastan video to ActRaiser, which came out the same year on the SNES, a completely dedicated gaming console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUYTLQxJqCk

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Nov 2, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A+ post/av combo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo Getright still exists http://www.headlightsw.com/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

We still do, applications are a subset of programs that the user directly interacts with to complete a task. Word is an application, bind is a program.

:stuffs u in a locker:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I traded in all my NES/SNES/N64 games to get an original Xbox. At the time it was great because I modded it and had all those games on the drive anyway, but nowadays I miss my haul :(

Also it turns out I had at least 1 game that today would sell on eBay for enough to buy me an Xbone Elite (Snow Brothers NES, complete in box) soooooo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Millenials ruined garage sales. Used to find so many old video games and computer equipment and random poo poo like shoeboxes full of old Magic: The Gathering cards, but nowadays good luck finding anything even remotely fun if you get there after 9:05AM

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

there's a guy at this flea market in Vermont we've been going to since I was a kid who has a whole stall of retro games. He's been there as long as I can remember and I'm almost 100% sure he's selling NES/SNES/Genesis games for more than he was selling them 15-20 years ago :haw:

Casimir Radon posted:

I've never found anything worthwhile at a garage sale. I've found it's just easier to treat myself to Ebay once in a while.

I never really hit the motherlode but I've picked up a few guitars on the cheap (mostly broken stuff that the early birds dismissed because it's not instantly-flippable), some other musical gear like effects pedals and such, some really awesome CDs, and the occasional retro PC thingy. When I was a kid, though, there'd be 8/16-bit consoles and games all over the place at garage sales.

eBay suffers from the exact same thing, honestly. It's really hard to find deals on certain things, because everyone knows what everything is worth, etc. Like I definitely get sweet deals on random poo poo on eBay all the time, but as far as like old music gear or video games and such go, it's next to impossible to get anything cheaper than whatever arbitrary price is set on half-decent NES platformers and such

Like, $250+ for a cart-only copy of Snow Brothers? game was fun but it wasn't that fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

$10K for Metal Slug X for NeoGeo MVS.

There's a pretty big difference between a throwaway NES game and an actual arcade board for an iconic version of an iconic game series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

...yes?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

do you really think 20-somethings are waking up at 6am to clear out garage sales?

I seent it (couple garage sales on my street this year and the road was flooded with cars by 8:30) and have had multiple occasions where I was looking at whatever cruft is left and the homeowner told me a variation on "well we had a bunch of Nintendo games/guitars/etc. but they were gone in like the firsy half hour"

If you doubt the annoying tenacity of millenials with the retro itch, walk into a thrift store/Goodwill and observe how everyone there is either over 70 or under 30.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember playing an SNES arcade cabinet as a kid. I can't remember what games were available except for Mario World and Actraiser. IIRC the games played normally except for a countdown timer in the corner that would make you put in another quarter when it ran out. Instead of an arcade joystick it had 2 comically oversized SNES controllers on stalks, almost like the old retail demo kiosks. Anyone else remember those?

e: I guess it was the Nintendo Super System? On mobile so I'm too lazy to save/upload an image but if you Google it you'll see what I meant. I swear the controllers were shaped like oversized SNES controllers and not those weird designs the cabinets on Google Images show.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Nov 12, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I still have 2 of these in working condition in a drawer somewhere.

Yes, those are e-ink keys. They were awesome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Holy poo poo, that was the best feature phone ever and you're the only person that I've ever seen who remembers it. I kept mine well into the smartphone era because it worked so well. The e-ink keys were great and you could text like a motherfucker with it. Too bad someone doesn't redo it with modern LTE and Android.

Edit: the double-angle hinge was amazing, it worked perfectly and was anvil-solid through years of abuse. Whoever designed it should be engineering bridges or something.

Yeah I could definitely type way faster on that thing than I could on a smartphone keyboard. I loved that drat phone. I posted a couple of Motorola Droids that had really awesome solid keyboards earlier in the thread, but the Alias 2 was my favorite of all time I think.

Some indie smartphone company was working on a phone with an e-ink display on the back; not sure if it ever took off though. Also Pebble had those e-ink smartwatches which were supposed to be pretty sweet, but :lol: they're a dead company now

I also definitely remember an issue of either GQ or Wired that had an e-ink cover.

e-ink is a cool idea and it's a shame it's only really used in Kindles

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think Pebble ever used e‐ink, just low‐power LCDs that they cleverly up‐branded.

Think of the LCD in a ’90s wristwatch. It’s always on, yet the watch runs for a decade on a CR2032. Using a pixel grid instead of seven segments per digit uses a little more power, but not enough to matter in a smart watch.

e: Okay, so that’s what they did with the original, but the Pebble Time did use real e‐paper.

e2: gently caress that, they just doubled down on the misinformation. Pebble Time used LCD after all. Part number is LPM014T262C.

E‐Ink is a trademark. “E‐paper” is not, and Pebble took full advantage of that. :argh:

Looks like you're right, though according to the definitions, E-Ink is a specific type of E-Paper.

Also the Alias 2 used actual E-Ink :smug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I miss my Palm Pixi. Clicky keyboard, wireless charging, multitasking, cloud-based data sync, all that in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qwhrw45bM

Man I remember people lining up outside the Sprint store for those on release day, iPhone/Apple Store style.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

And they were right to do so - webos is much better than ios and every ios-ifying android update. I miss gingerbread and hardware keyboards :colbert:

I miss hardware keyboards but my only experience with Gingerbread was on older tablets and God I hated that poo poo

e: speaking of tablets I contend that there was not, nor will ever be, a better tablet than the 2013 Nexus 7. Haven't found a stock, cruft/bloatware/overlay-free tablet as thin, sharp and responsive as that one and as long as the XDA forums keeps pumping out unofficial software updates for it, I don't think I'll ever upgrade it.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've posted it before and I'll post it again

gaze upon your physical-keyboard-smartphone god-king, the Droid 4:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

azurite posted:

:goonsay: There are CD-Rs which are silver on the label side and blue on the read side.

There are also CD-Rs which are virtually identical on both sides

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

"It's not just a copy it's a crime"
*steals IP from Paramount/CBS*

Also, who sells pirated stuff? Aside from that guy in the video, if someone has something, they usually just say "you can copy it off my hard drive."

Pirated DVDs are (or at least were) a huge thing in lower-middle class urban areas. 10 years ago you couldn't have a meal at a restaurant in Newark without at least one person walking in with a backpack and going around to all the tables selling VCDs of popular movies and/or terrible cams of movies currently in theaters.

e: also http://www.nickselby.com/2013/08/25/software-pirates-rule-in-russia/

quote:

In Russia, however, the piracy rates are a stunning 91 percent for business applications and 93 percent for entertainment software, according to Eric Schwartz, counsel to the International Intellectual Property Association, a Washington, D.C.-based organization that lobbies internationally on behalf of the copyright industry.

The dealers, who operate in stalls and kiosks around major transportation hubs or in full-scale markets usually 15 minutes from the city center, offer an enormous range of titles, usually bundled in a form their manufacturers would never dream of.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jan 4, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Off-the-street knockoff watched are poo poo, I've never gotten one that lasted more than a month or even kept decent time while it did last.

I do know there's an entire industry around making watches that look like really expensive watches, but AFAIK they're much more on the level as far as "we are not claiming this is a real Rolex, just a cheap but decent one that happens to look exactly like a Rolex."

Handbags I dunno. I was in China in 2010 and most of the poo poo I bought is still around today: both pairs of "Ray-Ban" eyeglasses (combined cost with eye exam and prescription lenses was like $50 total), the "North Face" backpack, the "CCM" hockey jersey, etc.

Even the knockoff Nintendo DS Lite I got there still works flawlessly, reads both actual games and the flash cart I also got there like a champ. Really it's just the watches that were crap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Even though the horse has not only died but been butchered, sold and eaten we can still beat it some more!

TBQH their last one actually looked like a sweet phone (the Priv) - literally just a solid Android phone with a slide-out BB keyboard:

axolotl farmer posted:

The article is timestamped 2013, and they were selling bootleg Windows98 and NT4 in Russia? :psyduck:

At least 1 of the Chinese manufacturers we contract with are still using Win2k and at least 3 of them are using WinXP SP1 so it's not that far of a stretch

Hell, one of our engineers has a separate Win98 SE PC in the lab because that's the last version of Windows that will run the ancient PCB CAD software he uses and he refuses to learn the new programs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

At least it's not AZERTY

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like that Nuon didn't even try to mask their N64 controller knockoff

the Logitech controller for it was pretty :krad: for its time tho

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Data Graham posted:

no concept of null

:what:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't remember what it was called but Logitech had some sort of webTV-ish thing, and it wasn't too long ago either.

e: found it http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/logitechrevue

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also i just googled the Dreamcast broadband adapter and really wish I hadn't sold mine for about a fiver a decade ago.

:same: but for the Gamecube one

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trunko posted:

Guys I think radium saying he banned someone for logging in with webtv was a joke. Sorta like his "where are the trees" stuff in the forum code

he actually banned them though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Suit coats are full of little oddities like decorative pockets and the lower front button, which seems to exist solely for the purpose of being taught never to use it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Computer viking posted:

I've never quite understood the suit button thing - it's the same look you get if the pillowcase is too small for the pillow. I still leave it open (since the cut makes closing it look weird - and marks you as clueless). It seems like an artifact of suit design suddenly freezing more than it being the best possible choice - there seems to be a lot of weirdness in formal men's clothes up to it suddenly stopping at the suit.

The story goes that King Edward VII was too fat to button the bottom one and nobody wanted to say anything so everyone started doing it. It's not that far-fetched of a story but it makes me wonder why 1-button jackets haven't caught on.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

At least "unbutton your jacket when seated, always" is pretty common sense although I have seen at least 2 people forget and pop the button right off their jackets :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My dad correctly thought overpaying for a TI was stupid so for high school Analysis/Calculus I used a Casio graphing calculator. It had a color screen and a better refresh rate (aka it was better for games) and I had no less than 3 people offer to trade their TI-89/84+ Special Titanium or Whatever Edition for my $40 POS.

my dad also collects HP Voyager calculators and is legitimately good at using RPN tho so I'm glad I didn't follow all his advice

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Feb 12, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fuuuuuuck shut up about Linux already you nerds

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

Metro/Modern UI, plus a second set of applications which work in it, so for example I have two calculator applications.

Whatever code is downloading advertisements and inserting them into the Start Menu.

Drivers which allow software to do whatever the hell it wants to my PC in the name of enforcing copy protection.

The bit that uses 100% CPU to "optimize" .NET assemblies (or something) occasionally.

Internet Explorer.

I realize that ReactOS is going to get a lot bigger if they add a reasonable number of necessary features to it, but I don't think many people think the stuff listed above is actually necessary.

All of these things except the driver thing are fixable in about 5 minutes on Win10. Edge (IE10) isn't even that bad, it's actually replaced Waterfox as my backup browser when a site doesn't like Chrome.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

As someone that just got hosed out of $250 via kickstarter, gently caress crowdfunding things that actually look complicated and hard to achieve.

Never again will I back anything of any value.

Are you that guy who backed an erotic novel for >$200 and didn't get a refund when it failed, even after the creator explicitly told people he lost interest in the project and would gladly be providing refunds?

(I swear this happened in the Thermidor Kickstarter thread in Games very recently)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gromit posted:

drat it. I should have asked if this ran Windows when I flew it. We could have installed an FPS and had a crazy old time.
That's not to say I didn't have an amazing time as it was.

lol silly aussies that's not what a helicopter looks like

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nowadays I just use the PCMCIA slot on my laptop to hold my chewing gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I worked at an electronics recycling/reclamation facility for a bit in college and those stupid Toughbooks always seemed like they were every bit as fragile and damage-prone as a regular laptop except 3 times the weight