Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SwissCM posted:

VR has been used professionally for decades.

Yeah, by a beyond infinitesimal subsector of professionals out there. The new wave of VR is not going to change anything. No artist is stumped by viewing a "3D" image on a 2D screen. There are no artists out there clamoring for VR because they just can't wrap their head around what their building/sculpting on a 2D screen. Not to mention the tactile feedback that a keyboard and pen/tablet provide to artists. Waving a limited VR wand around is basically scratching in the dirt with a stick. And then ultimately in the end, there's the factor that VR just released to deafening silence.

SwissCM posted:

Every 3D designer I know is pretty psyched about the advent of consumer VR. Even the basic tools in UE4's VR mode can demonstrate the potential, scale in particular isn't something that can be communicated though a 2D screen, not to mention the utility of having 1:1 tracked controllers.

Psyched about designing in VR, or displaying the finished product in VR? I'm going to guess it's the latter, since these guys are on a timeline and a budget, and designing in VR space is beyond cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

evobatman posted:

Hasn't anyone made custom ROMS for these or something so you can sideload your emulators and game APKs and the Google Play store, and connect a bluetooth controller of your choice? lovely controllers aside, I believe the hardware was just fine as an Android device, it was the business management and lack of third party support that made it a disaster.

Well, that, and it was also less powerful than the average smartphone at the time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sounds like a show that was around when I was a kid, called Captain Power. It had suprising good production values for a kids show, but it's gimmick was the toys you could buy that could "see" the strobing chest plates on the enemies in the show. So you'd shoot them, and they'd "shoot" back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZ5FTPYuWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYesRQsDz8

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No.

CLICKSPRING is making an Antikythera mechanism.

That's SO much more amazing. Clickspring is my reason to wake up.

Yeah, Clickspring is the important part.

Numerous Antikythera replicas have already been made, and range from cool to ho-hum. Hopefully Clickspring really turns out something amazing with his version though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
With Coleco, they manufactured some leather toys, moccasin stitching kits and the like, and they became they're best selling items. They then dove into the toy business, making plastic toys. So they were already going whole-hog in the toy business well before they went after electronic toys and video games.

Tandy sort of branched into handicrafts, and after they became quite successful and had a cash hoard, the owner decided electronics were the future and bought an existing electronic mail-order company called Radio Shack.

Bloody Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 10:15 on May 31, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
True 80's ULTRA Top-Shelf tech would keep the disc upright, and flip the entire player over around it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Code Jockey posted:

To be fair to that guy, how the gently caress are we supposed to identify satire anymore

It's The Onion.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mystes posted:

It probably made more sense in 2005 because a lot of people were still running 32-bit operating systems and were hitting the limit.

... the limit of RAM.

This is a ram drive, totally different.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is my RAID array. Some are used for primary storage, my house hard-drives, and less important storage is taken care of by the field hard-drives.

All runs a treat off of my proprietary MintJULEPOS system.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I remember back when Steam announced their "Steam Machines", powered by Linux, and there were people who actually thought Linux would supplant Windows and become the primary PC gaming OS throughout the world.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I really loving hate the modern Intel chip mounting design. At least when the pins were on the chip itself they slotted into discreet holes in the socket, making it virtually fool proof. Now they've got the "pins" on the motherboard, except they're not pins but flimsy brass leaves that just touch contacts on the chip. Ups the chances of loving it all up by about 1000%.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

barbecue at the folks posted:

This was back when running both Word and Excel would grind your mom's lovely Dell Win95 tower to a screeching halt.

I feel like we're almost back in those days since the last few versions of Word start to chug hard if you dont save your work constantly. A lot of the documents we have to make at my work have a lot of tables in them, and Word will start to chug after you've made only a handful of edits.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chairman Mao posted:

You're the first person I've ever encountered who hasn't hated the windows 10 experience so I guess there's a lot of us living on the edge.

Please turn off your computer and visit the outside world occasionally.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh I guess I was into PVP at first, which is vaguely shameful now.

I was into PvP as well, but started to lose interest when Kurtz decided he wanted to try and get the comic into newspapers and become the modern Garfield.

Webcomics seemed hip and cool at the time, but if you're actively trying to get in with thousand year old cartoonists and have your work featured in the deadest, lamest medium, it sort of puts a downcast on the whole thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What I want to know is why was the creator of Law & Order keeping prisoners in a dungeon in the first place.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Humphreys posted:

EDIT: This seems an effort post but thought it would be fun to see if I can get something I haven't turned on in a LONG time that is completely FUBAR to work as intended.

I'm sure your wife will be fine.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

barbecue at the folks posted:

I have a soft spot for old Mac laptops. Old PowerBooks are just... sexy.

It looks like it should be in a modern day adaptation of Naked Lunch.

It'll start pulsating and chittering and the keys will start wiggling on their own and jizz will start leaking out of the charging port.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It looks like rear end, and everyone assumed it was olds just being stubborn. And then young people from all age groups saw it and said it looked like rear end as well.

There's no incentive to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They built a huge bridge over the river where I live, and had tolls on it. Eventually they had to concede and remove the tolls because no one was using the bridge.

It would be hilarious driving over this gigantic 6 lane bridge during rush hour and you'd maybe see 3 cars on it as you went over.