Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did you have something like this in the States?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r6XJi9EOE

Basically it was a TV show where you dialled in and if you were lucky you got to play that Hugo game on air by pressing number pad buttons on your phone.

Speaking of hybrid multimedia, during the late 90s some TV channels expanded their Teletext service to include classified ads. And the way you put in an ad was interesting - you dialed a premium phone number, tuned to a specific Teletext page and used the number pad on your phone to enter text.

During the rise of SMS messaging there were also Teletext chat pages where you sent a SMS to a certain number and it would show up on a page like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If the hard drive hadn't spun down then there was a danger of data loss or corruption. Older file systems weren't as robust, and losing the file allocation table could hose an entire install.

It's more about write-back caches - to keep hard drive operations fast, when a program tries to write something to disk, it doesn't happen instantly, but is delayed in case there are multiple writes that will affect the same area. So if you turned off your computer abruptly, there probably was some things in memory that hadn't been written to disk already, like that school report you spent hours on, and since FAT16/FAT32 was about as robust as a wet paper bag, it could corrupt the file system if you were unlucky.

Modern Windows uses the NTFS file system instead, which supports Journaling, and is robust against sudden power loss - you might still lose the last changes to files you worked on, but the system won't be hosed.

(Hard drive head crashing was a thing, but then we're talking mid to late 80s technology - after that, hard drives knew how to park their drive heads safely in the milliseconds after power loss, so your drive wouldn't break)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Generally, hard drives either fail within two years, or they keep going for decades.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

if you don't care about the apps then what's the problem

nearly every tv is a smart tv now anyway. it costs the manufacturers a pittance to throw some janky android hardware in there and the marketing value of having netflix on a tv without switching to another input is pretty big, though not much of a differentiator any more

The problem is that "smart" TVs seem to generally feel slower than old "stupid" TVs and have stupid limitations. For example, on my brand new TV I can't change the input source for like 15 seconds after I turn it on. Who knows what it's doing that takes that long.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it's time to bring CRD into the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWwp3vVtElw

3.5 floppy disks seem to have 300RPM as their rotation speed in the spec, which means that for a normal disk you can read at most 5 tracks per second. So for an 80 track disk the minimum for a full disk would be 16 seconds. I wonder if any of them spin faster than the spec, or if they are just more clever in how they read/write data than standard drives.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Pringles did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1375a8rW0k

If you load the audio onto an actual ZX Spectrum, it will run a short demo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Computer viking posted:

Quoting myself from the 5000 post thread earlier today:

And some of them got turned into tiny libraries

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

axolotl farmer posted:

Smartphone form factor peaked with the iPhone 5/SE :colbert:

I hope they don't kill the Mini series

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Finally, Windows on Xbox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpkFuKh4CI

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Back then GPUs were called video cards and only handled 2D, so they didn't use much power, and I assume there's some mathematical relationship between number of transistors, voltage and wattage so older CPUs used less due to the lower complexity

ymgve has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Aug 4, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Let me tell you about templates

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Yeah, it’s not part of the standard 0-127 ASCII so using it means you are at the mercy of whatever encoding scheme is in the path between your keyboard and the hashing function

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

EVIL Gibson posted:

Not a tech relic but it's funny from someone that did a lot of presentations across the country

It's almost 2024 and Japan is the only place in the world where you can get a brand new 13th gen laptop with a DVD writer AND a VGA connector from 1987

HDMI ports to screens at random companies just refuse to work with random HDMI/HDMI converters (HDCP :argh:)

No 3.5 floppy drive, no sale.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Humphreys posted:

I didn't really see it as negativity, just a lot of snark and hamming it up a bit.

EDIT:

We all love demoscene stuff right?

Title says it all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mes4yarC5ws

cowards, let's hear the raw sound of 200 fans too

demosecne cool, this is one of my faves - it is only 256 bytes, smaller in size than this comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWblpsLZ-O8

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Sweevo posted:

The demoscene largely got obsessed with technical skill and forgot to be entertaining. You see the same rotating zooms and plasma effects 1000 times, and sure it's impressive that they got it to work on a crap computer like an Amstrad or whatever, but it's not actually fun to watch.

It's been turning around the last decade because the modern PC scene has all the power one could ever ask for and therefore is more interested in style than record breaking numbers. A bit of the same with the retro platforms, where you can't just chain some effects together and expect everyone to be wowed anymore.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
is it fault tolerant? could you snip a few phone wires and still keep on rolling?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

EL BROMANCE posted:

Memmaker and other tools was a help for sure. Having 5MB RAM over the regular 4 definitely was some nice breathing room and gave enough of a boost to sometimes run 8MB minimum games.

Duke 3D required 8MB of RAM, but running it from a DOS prompt in Windows 95 meant it could take advantage of virtual memory, and I got it working on my crappy 4MB computer.

Didn’t work with Quake, though, and ROTT took a veeeeery long time to load up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think any new tech product should be handed to a group of ADHD tech enthusiasts before being allowed on the market, and if none of them can stand to use it long enough to actually achieve its purpose then it is not a good product

The fact that a product was bad had no impact on hype, marketing or sales, as long as it was a tech gadget

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

I wonder how bright it was in reality, that picture seems pretty fake

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I hope 3D printers get good enough that you can put music on newly created phonograph cylinders

Nine Inch Nails? No, Nine Inch Tubes!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Anyone remember cooked MP3s? Let’s bring that sound back!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Dip Viscous posted:

I remember having a program in the late 90s that claimed to "uncook" MP3s but produced output files that were bit identical to the originals.

It only worked on MP3s that were accidentally transferred in text mode instead of binary while also translating line ending bytes from CR to CRLF. If your files weren’t broken in that specific way, there was nothing to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Desert Bus posted:

Mine did, and I never used it cause ??? loving why and everything played fine. Got zero interference when I ripped CD's. I was young and dumb and couldn't figure out why the cd drive needed an extra cord to the sound card.

Because a wire from the CD drive to the sound card's analog mixer step costs literally 0 CPU cycles during playback