Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can people be computer relics?

Is that the guy who keeps showing off his donger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
At the McDonald's I worked at in college, I remember my manager telling me that his friend worked for Hewlett Packard and that he told him that there would never be a CD drive that would run any faster than 4x because any faster and the CD would melt.

I also remember playing the first Leisure Suit Larry on an amber monochrome monitor, and having all the answers memorized for the questions it would ask you in the beginning to verify that you were 18.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ColoradoCleric posted:

Unreal tournament owns bones

Is never played a game more than I played UT2004 Online. In fact, it's one of the few pc games I actually bought, so I could play on the normal servers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Zveroboy posted:

Oh wow, I remember having one of those. Though of course, as a kid having no patience to actually read the book I mainly used it to make annoying screeching noises from the buzzer.

My parents bought me one because they thought it would stop my habit of taking apart the family electronics to see how they worked. I also only ever used it to annoy people. The same Christmas they also got me a chemistry set, that I used to start a huge fire on my bedroom carpet.

If I were my parents I would have beaten me to death.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

WescottF1 posted:

Then when the other phone companies sprang up, there were some seriously odd long distance rules. Back in 1986, in my area (Rockford, IL) we had what evolved from Illinois Bell to Ameritech to AT&T. My girlfriend who lived a county over in Belvidere had GTE (now Verizon). I could call her for free, but it was long distance for her to call me. But she could call Rockton-Roscoe which was even further away from Belvidere but it was free because they were GTE, too.

I remember those days, and when one of the companies dropped long distance rates to 10 cents a minute, and being blown away at how cheap it was to call the next town over. If you grew up in a small town like I did, where everyone had the same prefix, you could call only using the last 4 digits.