Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a version of windows that couldve had ssd level performance for executables and booting 17 loving years ago but was intentionally restricted from using its own features (even in its own binaries) so that win xp would sell
and nowadays i have to hear about what gamechangers ssds are from "tech" people who oh and ah over them oblivious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

Microsoft still can't do things BeOS did with its file system.
always been a fan of beos but windows 98 was intentionally neutered
upon carefully fixing that i achieved <10 second boot times (to idle) and load times (also to idle) for all windows applications (including photoshop but not Quake 3 for instance) at literally faster than i could take my finger off the mouse upon a double-click off a <5400rpm drive of whatever aerial density was typical for a cheap maxtor
had to look up how to disable the splash screen for so many programs that expected to need them

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Kharnifex posted:

This old gem.

they decided it would be easier to hump/straddle your pc than to make a device work correctly over the parallel port