Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think my issue with them is that they were created in a way where it was easy for some graybeard in the 70s to do something really fast so the command is just two characters and it has the ability to gently caress up your entire computer if you type the options wrong. So it feels like to move a file you have to type out a 130 character long command line with 20 options but if you want to delete the entire file system just type jkl in any terminal, no need to even press enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Why did schools standardize on a programmable calculator if you're not allowed to program it?

Because there wasn't a calculator that only graphed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

you know, I never thought about how much those look like a dildo until just now.

When you accidentally find out your girlfriend has a bar code on her cervix.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So they used hot women in the ads but the customers demanded a poster of the trench coat guy?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looked pretty cool to play Nintendo on in halt and catch fire.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mlnhd posted:

they specifically said not to use your Nintendo on a projection TV

You sound like a cop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tapes are kind of neat if you have one of the cool looking players. When I was a kid I had a lovely plastic one so I don't really have any nostalgia for them. But I listened the hell out of my Toy Story sound track tape while looking wistfully out the window on long road trips.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was really crazy when a song really did have a weird noise in it and you're wondering if it's the song or someone edited it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Armacham posted:

One more time by daft punk has this weird grunting sound that I always thought was a messed up mp3

Or the ringtone in rock the casbah

Lol I always thought this was weird but I knew it was supposed to be there because I ripped it from my CD. Years later I learned that they really liked someone's digital watch alarm and put it in the song.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dunno if it fits here but definitely a relic. Corridor did a video on Disney's sodium vapor & 'magic' cube that was used in their old films pre-green screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuIVsNzqDk

The whole "they lost the only prisms ever made and they couldn't be reproduced!" seems kind of fake, but I guess I could see it happening.It seems like it wasn't that it was prisms getting lost, but it was a whole camera setup. The original setup was an old technicolor camera that could record onto 3 film reels, and they changed it to film onto two reels of film for the sodium vapor process. I could see if they lost that whole setup, it would be easier to just give it up and switch to just using chromakey. especialyl considering how few movies were even using it. The last movie to use it was Dick Tracy in 1990. By then, I'm guessing chromakey was good enough to just give up on sodium vapor, but I could see its use coming back into style for certain things. It seems really useful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there any reason it has to be sodium vapor lamps? Wouldn't any singe-wavelength LED work here? I'm making a big assumption about a bright enough LED source existing.

Using sodium vapor is probably just because it's an easy way to get one exact wavelength. In a couple chemistry classes I've taken, at some point, we look at different kinds of lamps through a prism to see what wavelengths the elements inside create. Sodium just makes one wavelength, whereas some other elements will emit 2 or more wavelengths. So if you had an LED that emits only one wavelength, it would work as well. The big technology here is the beam splitter that splits the image into one beam that has all wavelengths except the backdrop, and one beam that only has that wavelength.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

I thought the same thing, and the article mentioned Something Awful so the author, assuming he was part of that group, surely Is Here(tm)

Lot of driftwood chains and transitions lenses in that photo

Merritt is a woman. Maybe is or has been here though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's too late. I've already reported you to the authorities.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How is TI going to make calculators now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LimaBiker posted:

Now including 4 extra Boomer elipses!

I heard the boss is getting one of those computers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doing multiplication in your head is a neat party trick, but no one actually cares when you can use a device that always gives the right answer.