Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Foraging tips, urban foraging, good spots, tips, hauls, post it all here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i've got a supply of dingle berries to last me well into the winter

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

scott zoloft posted:

i've got a supply of dingle berries to last me well into the winter

Lol gross

I'm going to hell for laughing at this

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I found a mushroom picking group that operates in my area! It was on meetup.com, one of the regulars doesn't like me though, it's kinda awkward to go and feel the hate, but now I can recognise some edible mushrooms which is very cool.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crankit posted:

I found a mushroom picking group that operates in my area! It was on meetup.com, one of the regulars doesn't like me though, it's kinda awkward to go and feel the hate, but now I can recognise some edible mushrooms which is very cool.

that's actually cool and surprising because a couple friends of mine go morel hunting and I've asked them where, you know just conversationally, they immediately clam up as if I'd asked them their personal PIN id number, or the wu tang secret.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Ralp posted:

that's actually cool and surprising because a couple friends of mine go morel hunting and I've asked them where, you know just conversationally, they immediately clam up as if I'd asked them their personal PIN id number, or the wu tang secret.

yeah some people are batshit crazy about mushrooms they find being top secret. for example with my local group we've seen other people hunting mushrooms who have acted very strange, won't tell us where they already looked and once they just ran away with their small haul of mushrooms. I guess when mushroom hunting got popular they got scared of people robbing the woods dry?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crankit posted:

yeah some people are batshit crazy about mushrooms they find being top secret. for example with my local group we've seen other people hunting mushrooms who have acted very strange, won't tell us where they already looked and once they just ran away with their small haul of mushrooms. I guess when mushroom hunting got popular they got scared of people robbing the woods dry?

That's dangerous poo poo in France and Italy.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-the-truffle-trade/283073/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have some raspberries growing in the woods behind my house op.
They are pretty decent actually if I get to them before the birds and the deer.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ralp posted:

Maybe they just don't like you.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thousands of Finns die each year in mushroom related acts of violence as wild bands of myushroomers fight for the best mushrooming revir

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I find the supermarket is the easiest urban place. Just make sure you go to your job and get paid beforehand.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Ralp posted:

Morels are hard to find is what I tell people, but they grow in a corner of my property every year where some cottonwoods fell over.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
be cautious of foraging in industrial areas. plants may be contaminated by soil pollution.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Crankit posted:

You will never find a group more insane and weird than mycologists amateur or otherwise, but I have never ever ever ever met an outright mean one, or could conceive of one in that context.

Guess you're just lucky :kiddo:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ralp posted:

I've asked them where, you know just conversationally, they immediately clam up as if I'd asked them their personal PIN id number, or the wu tang secret.

See also: hunters and anglers. Nobody wants to share the secret of where to find the limited supplies of publicly available resources. Makes it super frustrating for someone just starting out.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
I saw an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen and learned you can eat dandelion leaves (also called dandelion greens). I see dandelions puffs all the time and kinda want to just grow a ton of dandelions and make a salad everyday, but I figure growing them in/near the yard wouldn't be a good idea.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

schmarson posted:

I saw an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen and learned you can eat dandelion leaves (also called dandelion greens). I see dandelions puffs all the time and kinda want to just grow a ton of dandelions and make a salad everyday, but I figure growing them in/near the yard wouldn't be a good idea.

You just have to be very careful with enclosing them. They are weeds. Imho grow some indoors. I love the way they smell.

Bonus points if you make tank treads with them (an actual idea in ww2)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Garlic mustard grows in every patch of woods in this city, i pick bushels of it in may and june from out of the way woodsy spots where it's certain to be relatively free of herbicide or dog pee, and make salads or pesto or cook it as a veg into a pasta sauce. It's invasive so it's my civic duty to eat as much as i can :patriot:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miner's Lettuce grows all over the Sierra where the California Gold Rush was. There's also a lot of wild California Grapes all over the place. Some human being like 70 years ago brought English blackberries to California, and they are MASSIVELY invasive. They just have so many berries that even with all kinds of wildlife eating them, the seeds get everywhere. And they grow like mad. A lot of old, poorly-maintained properties will get bought by people and discover that there's an old house and several cars consumed by a blackberry patch. The American blackberries taste better too. I'm sure there's other stuff you can forage round these parts but I don't know more off the top of my head.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are a bunch of juneberry/serviceberry trees in my city and nobody knows what jumeberries are other than the birds, so if you can beat the birds to it you can get a good haul of yummy berries and make muffins :yum:

who can guess what month they ripen

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

be cautious of foraging in industrial areas. plants may be contaminated by soil pollution.

I live in nj. :(
Though the area around my house is mostly okish.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I live in nj. :(
Though the area around my house is mostly okish.

ah. the garden state.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sadly the sort of spots I'd go to aren't easily available (middle of nowhere) and, well, in Sweden, so there probably won't be many takers. The forests of Sankt Anna were pretty much brimming with berries and mushrooms, at least until a few years back when they started doing light logging and construction in the area I went to. Gooseberries, white currant, penny buns and chantarelles are some of the things I remember finding around the woods near the waterways there.

Edit: vvv My cousin is no longer allowed in or near woods and/or shops because of this foraging technique.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 21, 2015

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
If you find a shop located in or near the woods it might be a good place for foraging hot pockets or slim jims

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

See also: hunters and anglers. Nobody wants to share the secret of where to find the limited supplies of publicly available resources. Makes it super frustrating for someone just starting out.

It's just up the way, back past that thicket

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Epitope posted:

It's just up the way, back past that thicket

That's a lot more polite than the usual responses I've heard.

Best urban foraging was when my friend/home brewing partner found a big patch of hops growing on a fence in a park. We've also got shitloads of blackberries growing all over the place on the BC coast.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Friendly Tumour posted:

Thousands of Finns die each year in mushroom related acts of violence as wild bands of myushroomers fight for the best mushrooming revir

We must not discuss the sienisota.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I have a lot of acorns around my property, i could make one of those really nasty acorn pancakes like the Indians did.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
I started foraging around August this year. Survival instinct and being poor led me to the wilds, where free food is just lying around in the forest. I am lucky enough to have my house located away from the towns and cities, and am able to basically go out the door and start the hunt. I ran across the website http://northernbushcraft.com and found it an excellent starting point. They deserve a little recognition, I love how it is divided by province and then into berries/plants/mushrooms.

I found a staggering amount mushrooms, at least compared with what I was imagining I'd find, Scores of faintly apricot/fruity smelling egg yolks dotting the thick, vibrantly green moss carpet; Golden Chanterelles. They are unusual in that the fruiting bodies last on average 45 days, slow growers. Insects are not too fond of them, thankfully. I've found most commonly under Black Spruce trees. They are symbiotic in nature, and form relationships with the tree's roots, which allow the trees greater access of the nutrients around them in exchange for sugar...I think They have false gills, blunted ridges that fork if you look closely, which travel down the stem. It is a clear identifier as false gills have not the uniformly spaced, blade like precision of true gills, they have imperfect lines and fork. The one to watch out for: Jack-o-lantern. So easy to tell the difference after a couple real-world experiences. Look at the pictures here and you're likely good to go: http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomchanterelle.html

I've also found many Lobster mushrooms hiding out there. You can find them by smell, the old ones are very similar in scent to ripening seafood. Fishy in the forest? Look for red angles pushing through the moss. They're incredibly dense and white/orange when fresh, turning to a jellied, red, stinky pile. Only seem to last for a few days before the ripening is too much. They're actually a parasitic mold that takes over other mushrooms, so they've got that going for them. I don't think they have an imposter, but there is a bit of debate, I think, about whether or not they can attach to poisonous varieties. The bitter milk cap and the something-something Russula are very, very common around here. They are also very suseptible to the lobster mold. you'll find lobsters growing within groups of these two mushrooms. In my experience most commonly underneath Black Spruce trees. http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomlobster.html

Indigo Milk Cap, which bleeds a blue latex at the slightest brushing of the gills, incredible to witness. I think they were just on their way out of season as I began my search and/or are a rarity around here. Also, a couple of Bolete varieties that were proven good by a local hunter, Mosaic Puffball, a few Sulfur Shelves (aka Chicken of the Woods), Chaga. All this from August onwards. There are a crazy amount of mushrooms out there.

I believe it is the responsibility of the forager to know what they're picking and it's on your own rear end if you go pick and then eat some poison. I am certain I saw a couple deadly poisonous Amanitas. I thought it best to start looking for the mushrooms that, if mis-identified, would not kill me. Once you stumble across a couple different areas of the same kind, or even see the different stages of life/decomposition, before your eyes, your nose, it is pretty simple to tell which is which. Of course....started in August, probably an idiot, do your own research, talk to local weirdos if possible.

Also, I dislike eating mushrooms. I've tried the Chanterelles, the Indigo Milk Cap, and Lobster, and have been drinking Chaga tea pretty regularly for the last month or so. The Chaga tea is pretty awesome and has a long list of alleged benefits that you may or may not be interested in. As for the actual mushrooms that were eaten, I'd say I liked the Chanterelles the best. They have such delicate ridges (not true gills, an important identifier) that crisp up like little bacon blades.

I'm loving pumped for next year and plan to be out as soon as the willows are budding up, as that is apparently the time to start seeking Morels.

Anyone have tips for drying and storage of mushrooms or other foods? I was pleased at the appearance of this thread. Thank you, Lord Waffle Beard.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Such Thing posted:

I have a lot of acorns around my property, i could make one of those really nasty acorn pancakes like the Indians did.

I've had acorn pancakes before and they were pretty good.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sir Bedevere posted:

Anyone have tips for drying and storage of mushrooms or other foods? I was pleased at the appearance of this thread. Thank you, Lord Waffle Beard.

If you have screens on your windows you can dry on those. Probably wipe the dust off your screens first. Slice mushrooms and leave out in dry weather for a couple days. Won't get em bone dry but good enough, and you can freeze them if you're worried about spoiling.

Chanterelles are cool. Especially after morels where you're worried you might step on one if you don't look close enough, they're waving a neon beacon across the valley to you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hot tip: If you see seeds from a fruit in mammal scat or monkeys eating it it's probably not poisonous. Dig in!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sir Bedevere posted:

A particularly good mushroom post
Something to highlight, and is often ignored by mushroom hunting beginners, is the importance of being able to identify poisonous mushrooms. Especially ones that look similar to edible varieties. It really isn't enough to know what the mushroom you're hunting for looks like. Particularly with the kind of people that are looking for hallucinogenic mushrooms. "oh just look for little brown mushrooms" Nope

Tom Volk posted:

Unlike many fungal toxins it does not cause symptoms right away. As long as 6-24 hours after ingestion there may be an early feeling of unease, followed by violent cramps and diarrhea. On the third day, there is a remission of symptoms, but this is a false remission. On the 4th to 5th day the enzymes increase, and liver and kidneys are severely affected. Death often follows if a liver transplant or other heroic measures are not performed.

edited to add:
Oh, I forgot tips for drying. It's often rainy, or at least pretty humid out, during the times when you're hunting mushrooms. So just putting them on a screen and sitting them out might not work the best for you. One method I've seen is to lay the mushrooms out on a screen or fine mesh rack of some kind, and place the rack inside a rubbermaid container along with a desiccant. Something like this Make sure you can keep the desiccant separated from the mushrooms. You're using it to indirectly dry the mushrooms, via keeping the air inside the rubbermaid at as close to zero humidity as possible.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 29, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Deep fried milkweed pods are delicious

We made them with purslane and lambs ears that were weeds in our garden.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I thought milkweed was poisonous??

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

I thought milkweed was poisonous??

Yeah, but it tastes good!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

its probably smart to stay away from amanitas in general since edible ones and hilariously lethal ones look really similar, like "youll need to do a spore print to be certain" similar.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agean90 posted:

its probably smart to stay away from amanitas in general since edible ones and hilariously lethal ones look really similar, like "youll need to do a spore print to be certain" similar.

There's edible species of amanitas? I thought there were only kill you dead and just gently caress you up a bit amanitas. And yeah, if you need to do a spore print or bust out the microscope to be certain, probably best to steer way clear.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never got the wild mushroom appeal since the vast majority are poisonous or at least cause unpleasant symptoms and I haven't tasted a variety that doesn't taste like soil or old tofu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Morels smell like jizz and taste like squid. I love em!

• Locked thread