Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

Before I left my house I looked at the map and realized we were going through a glacier so I made it a point to bring my trekking poles and traction spikes for some very good boots.

Cool glacier travel setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know mount hood is less technical in that it is shorter and a larger portion of the climb is just slogging up a snow slope, but is it really a warm up? I don't know the actual stats like death per attempt or whatever, but based on Google they've killed roughly the same number. Also depending on conditions that top section of hood seems like it could be more difficult that any pitch on Rainer, but I that's just my impression, anybody more familiar?

Although, "depending on conditions" touring The Mall in DC can be harder than Rainer

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meselfs posted:

Hood's popular southern approach is uncomparable to either mountain, because there's only one crevasse (bergschrund actually) near the top which some people choose to cross, but it can be totally avoided. Hood's danger is falling or getting lost, which happens a lot mainly due to its popularity. There's no significant glacier travel, just big, persistent snowfields (Palmer glacier is no longer considered a glacier).

I haven't done hood but a friend described front pointing up steep icy snow above the bergschrund, and being lucky to find a mountaineering club willing to share their belay for descending the same slope. I did do Rainer, and ya there are icy death pits everywhere, but it felt like just a walk up. I guess they just hit hood in a tougher snowpack?

• Locked thread