Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
A few buddies and I are setting up a Summer climb of Rainier, we are all fairly backpacking experienced so not too worried about succeeding the actual climb. The thing we are doing to make sure we will handle it is doing Adams/Hood/Baker before hand.

We are working up some training hikes to be sure we have the mettle but again, not too worried.

Did Florence Peak last week to wear in my new boots. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/florence-peak

Snow was poo poo, too soft to not wear snow shoes but too packed to get good trail. I stand by my previous statements that snowshoeing is not something people should do unless you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Morbus posted:

Do you guys have any mountaineering experience or just backpacking? It's not clear from your post and I think it is very inadvisable to try Rainier without at the very least thoroughly studying mountaineering texts, practicing techniques a lot, and maybe taking some courses. Its good that you are attempting some less technical climbs first, but its 100% possible to shlep your way to the top of Mt Baker without really knowing what you are doing, and then find yourself in a very bad situation on Rainier.

I don't mean to be patronizing or underestimate your ability or anything, but lots of people have failed to give that mountain the respect it deserves and there are now lots of skeletons.

No offense taken, we've all taken our mountaineering courses, crevasse training, etc. I'm probably the least experienced in the group, one of us has attempted it before. I'm well aware of the dangers. I'm also totally open to any resources you might recommend though, good reading is good reading

My two biggest concerns are crevasse, and weather(my job). Since we are local we shouldn't have any issue planning around the forecast, no reason we shouldn't hit ideal conditions. I do naval forecasts on a pretty regular basis and am familiar with the more unique weather patterns of the cascade range from years of backpacking. Since my group is much more experienced I'm leaning on them, but I'm also not a complete moron. (hooks up baby carrier, laces tennis shoes)

The less technical climbs each contain an element we aim to practice whether it's glacial travel, long backpack, or technical climb; before going for the big one.

I mean we could just be like every other rich idiot and just pay to have a guided trip shlep us up to the top.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread