Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is from the Paradise Trail, a really cool trail that requires some preparation to hike, but isn't inaccessible to novice hikers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

With clouds like that they should call it Mt. Rainiest!

That would be Mount Waialeale

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ralp posted:

it's actually called "Denali"

That would be the former "Mount McKinley"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lil Peeler posted:

I've been to Rainier twice (PNW represent). The first time I just met up with my dad and we walked around at the visitor center for a while. The second time I hiked to Camp Muir (the jumping off point for summit attempts) with a techie idiot who was woefully unprepared.

Before I left my house I looked at the map and realized we were going through a glacier so I made it a point to bring my trekking poles and traction spikes for some very good boots. The guy I was hiking with (a legit techie idiot) brought some tennis shoes and a quart of water.

I spent eight hours watching him slip and slide his way up and down the slope like an idiot.

The moral of the story is that tech people are largely incompetent in the outdoors.

I had photos but they might be gone because my archival disk broke. :(

I was ok with just some good boots. Didn't go with clamp-ons or poles. Did bring some canteens and a hiking lunch though. 15ish mile round-trip hike wasn't too bad, went in August. Hiking the glacier trail was super foggy, so I didn't get to see much, but I'd still recommend it to anyone browsing this subforum.

• Locked thread