Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Sometimes bad weather is good weather for taking photographs.

Rainy morning at Mt. Rainier

Early snow (Heather/Maple Pass Loop)

Fog (Prairie Creek Redwoods)

lavaca fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Okay, I decided on the next topic: Waterton Lakes National Park!

I've only been to Waterton once, but it was wonderful and I miss it and have to go back. It's very different from the central and northern Rockies.

Waterton has no foothills, it goes from mountain to prairie and because of that, east of the peaks is one of the windiest places in North America. There's a bison sanctuary here, you can see some in this picture.

Waterton is like Banff and Jasper in that it was developed before the ecological integrity mandate of the parks system was established, so you have old hotels and sometimes towns in scenic areas. Waterton is one of the only national parks in Canada that allows private motorized boating, though. National park rules here are kind of complicated and like to break their own rules a lot. This hotel is called Prince of Wales, by the way.

This is the No Touching Zone. The border between US and Canada is marked by a bunch of stone markers, but if there are forested areas, it's cut as you see here. Left is Canada, right is US. Waterton is part of what is known as the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park, one of only a few cross-border protected areas in the world.

I was on a steamboat tour of the lake and when we came into view of the US parks ranger station, the guide on the boat warned us if we set foot in the area without a passport or special permission we would be arrested. So much for peace.

They did dock our boat at a place called Goat Haunt where we got to wander a little bit before heading back to Canada. One of the few times we can enter the US without a passport and not get shot.

The view of Upper Waterton Lake from Canada at sunset, looking into the United States.

Cameron Lake straddles the border as well. You can canoe into the US but the slopes dropping into the lake are generally too steep to get very far.

Summit Lake reflecting Chapman Peak.

Sand in the Rockies? It's actually very uncommon. This was basically halfway up the mountain.

A Canadian posing with the United States.

A lot of the Waterton mountains are pink-red Cambrian age rock. It's otherwordly if you're used to the grey limestones of the rest of the Rockies. This is Mt. Carthew seen from "Carthew Summit" which is just a col/pass between Carthew and Alderson.

Mt. Alderson from the upper slopes of Mt. Carthew, showcasing just how bizarre the Waterton mountains really are.

Looking southwest from the actual summit of Mt. Carthew. Big peaks as far as the eye can see. The lake below is Cameron Lake.

Looking northeast from Carthew. The mountains just loving end. Grasslands as far as the eye can see.

Cameron Falls. During spring runoff they turn a milky pink colour from the post-winter runoff, or sometimes during really intense rainfalls. I was there when conditions were tame so nothing amazing.

Next up another surprise, I guess!

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 2, 2016

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I was on a steamboat tour of the lake and when we came into view of the US parks ranger station, the guide on the boat warned us if we set foot in the area without a passport or special permission we would be arrested. So much for peace.

I was here last summer on the trip I posted in the OP, here's a photo looking the opposite direction from the ranger station:

It's a weird place, especially after three nights of seeing a handful of other hikers. Three separate rangers asked to see my permit and there were border guards walking back and forth and giving me the side-eye. They had running water though so that was cool.

Picnic Princess posted:

Mt. Alderson from the upper slopes of Mt. Carthew, showcasing just how bizarre the Waterton mountains really are.

:drat:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kepler Track, Fiordland, New Zealand:

Starts off easy:

There's a cave near the hut at the end of the first day:

The second day is pretty much several hours of this:

Also there were kea:

My battery ran out towards the end of the second day. :(

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 2, 2016

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:flashfap: I am seriously loving these pictures.

Kind of funny how when I was younger, I would look at landscape pictures and find them boring. Now they amaze me. Probably because now I have more of a frame of reference for such things.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I need more ridgewalks in my life.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Where are those from Rat?

By the way, these are all incredible. Especially princess. I've only been to a handful of national parks and I've definitely got the bug again to get out there. Nothing better than a long trek and a nice fire at the end of the day.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Best view I've ever had from an outhouse.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

buddhanc posted:

Where are those from Rat?

By the way, these are all incredible. Especially princess. I've only been to a handful of national parks and I've definitely got the bug again to get out there. Nothing better than a long trek and a nice fire at the end of the day.

Three out of four are in Colorado. The last one is Pensacola Beach. On the first page, all the hell over.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

God drat, we have some talented landscape photographers in here.

lavaca posted:

Fog (Prairie Creek Redwoods)

Oh hey, you were right in my back yard there. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park now has Humboldt County's first documented Great Gray Owl visitor since 1982.

When I took the video gear to film it, the morning's first adventurous vole came out of its burrow just a few feet in front of me, and the owl caught it. I didn't want to scare the owl by moving my camera back far enough to get it in focus, so I just filmed the rest of the encounter on my phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0D-G5PSbE

Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park has had some amazing fog lately.

Short-eared Owl in the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Those are incredible shots of the owls. Wow.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Lemon Creek Glacier from Cairn Peak, in summer, a few miles from downtown Juneau, Alaska

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's time for me to post again apparently, so I've decided to try and explain the unique and messy parks area that is known as Kananaskis Country!.

I have spent the majority of my mountain time in this area, it's really close to Calgary, where I live, and has a widely varied landscape with widely varied uses. It was established in the 60s as a place put away for all Albertans to enjoy, while still leaving the area open to development and resource extraction. It's actually a hotly contested issue and there are several cases in court as we speak about what should be allowed in which areas. Things are complicated.

This is a lovely map I made. Green are provincial parks, blue are wildland provincial parks, purple are public recreation areas, yellow is wilderness area, orange is natural areas, and red is an ecological reserve. They have varying degrees of allowed usage. A lot of the parks are split into different parks even though they have the same designation and I'm not sure why but there you go. The green lines running through the one provincial park is actually a highway. I'm not sure if the shapefile is broken or there really are sections of the road that are protected while others aren't.

I'm going to post chronologically so the pictures get better as you scroll down. Going from 2009 to the present. I'm also doing this all in one go, so better grab a snack.

Looking northeast from Mt. Baldy. Classic scramble only 40 minutes from the city. Barrier Lake below.

The town of Canmore from Ha Ling Peak, most people's first mountain. More people get rescued on this mountain than anywhere else in the Rockies. In summer the rescue crew are there every single weekend. A few people have died on it too.
We went up for the sunset and were treated to a proper prairie thunderstorm about to destroy Calgary.

From the summit of Mt. Tyrwhitt.

Looking east from Mt. Yamnuska. It's a really awesome cliff right on the edge of the prairie.

It's an awesome cliff but an easy scramble up both ridges so it's one of the most popular mountains in the Rockies.

Twice we went up Mt. Baldy overnight to watch the sunrise on Canada Day.

Your's truly.

Captain Canada!

The summit ridge of Mt. Lady MacDonald scares me and I've never crossed it.

I'm the little red spot sitting on the ridge.

A wider view of the ridge. You can still just barely make me out.

This was a gorgeous hanging valley inbetween Storm and Mist mountains. The range they're a part of is all vertical limestone and chert slabs. Absolutely love it there.

Another evening on Ha Ling, this time in September when it's a wee bit chilly.

I've done field trips too! This was for geology, we were searching for marine fossils in a bituminous shale quarry. Mt. Yamnuska in the background.

If you've seen The Revenant then you've seen this lake. Spray Lakes Reservoir.

Mt. Nestor.

Looking at Ha Ling Peak from the cliff bands of the East End of Rundle. I took this photo in the way up, and then almost died here on the way down a couple hours later. This picture makes me nervous.

Ribbon Falls. There's a backcountry campground here, but I have yet to stay there. The trail was closed for two years from severe flood damage in 2013.

Frozen Lake. A tarn up in the cirque of Mt. Fox.

Mt. Tyrwhitt has a very distinctive rock arch near the summit.

On the summit of Tyrwhitt. Areas that look like this are in the provincial parks and have higher levels of restrictions than other areas.

Storm Mountain.

Chillin out on Heart Mountain.

There's a cave here! Think we should check it out?

Moose Mountain Ice Cave! Also know as Ing Mine Ice Cave. At one point you could drive up to the base of the mountain and hike right up to it, but after it became a party spot that filled with trash, human waste, and grafitti, the road was closed and it's a 5km hike to get in.

The Wedge.

Mt. Turner and Mt. Morrison. This is right on the side of the highway known as Smith-Dorrien Trail, or Spray Lakes Road.

A view of some of the Kananaskis peaks from the prairie.

Solo winter camping means you get the best spot! Jewel Bay backcountry campground on Barrier Lake. This was middle of October.

Steam fog and very low clouds on Barrier Lake at sunrise, Mt. Baldy to the right.

Barrier Lake again.

Night photo with the Wedge. We went random-camping on Evan Thomas Creek in what we thought was Elbow-Sheep Wildland Provincial Park but accidentally ended up back in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park where that sort of thing isn't allowed. Oops. Yes, Wildland Provincial Parks and Provincial Parks have different land use allowances.

After the moon rose on Evan-Thomas Creek.

Engadine, Tower, Galatea. I think. They always mess me up. Taken from Tent Ridge.

Mt. Tyrwhitt from Highway 40, one of my favourite drives in the world. You can see the arch quite well.

My degree required me to take a backpacking class. I got an A. Looking towards Mt. Putnik from near Upper Kananaskis Lake.

Mt. Indefatigable.

Mt. Sarrail (pronounced Suh-Rye)

Upper Kananaskis Lake at sunrise from Point backcountry campground.

School field trip again, at Moose Mountain Ice Cave.

This was camping at a place called Bow Valley Campground. This is one of my favourite pictures. We have a weather phenomenon here called Chinooks, where warm air from the west speeds down over the peaks to the prairies and heats up significantly. It usually forms what is very similar to a lenticular cloud except it usually spans horizon to horizon. It's windward edge stayed above us all night and it was really cool to watch this cloud stay above us like this all night while it was so windy.

Reflections of Mt. Birdwood, I like to flip reflection photos. They're more interesting that way.

Sharing the trail with a moose. Near Engadine Lodge.

The meadows of Engadine Lodge, with Mt. Murray, Mt. French, Commonwealth Peak, and Mt. Birdwood. If you want to see a moose, come to this meadow in late afternoon to sunset. You'll probably see several. We saw 7 in less than an hour.

Ha Ling Peak on New Year's Eve 2014/2015.

St. Patrick's Day aurora event from Bow Valley Provincial Park.

The northern lights with Loder Peak and Yamnuska, Orion is on the far left about to set in the west.

Frozen waterfall in Grotto Canyon with an ice climber near the top.

O'Shaugnessy Falls has some fun local history to it. They were man-made when Highway 40 was paved because the guy in charge thought culverts were ugly. Thanks to him we have this little treasure.

Usually the chinook cloud is a boring old blanket of plain cloud but sometimes this happens and I just love it. Looking towards Yamnuska and the Ghost area.

Stacked lenticular clouds in front of Mt. Lougheed. Peter Lougheed was the premier of Alberta who designated Kananaskis Country as the place it is today so he has quite a few prominent features named for him.

K-Country isn't world-famous so if you're looking to get away from the tourist crowd and hang out with the locals, it's the place to go. There's so much more to it that I have yet to explore myself, which I'm hoping to do this year.

Coming up next: nobody knows!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You've just given me inspiration to attempt one or two of those hikes this summer with my roommate. Which of the Kananaskis hikes are somewhat easier for a 3 day backpacking trip for someone with a new backpacker in tow?

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
God drat those are some amazing pictures Picnic Princess. I need to get up to Canada some day.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:) Wonderful.

I'm jealous because I've never seen the aurora, yet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I was in K-Country once and tried some wading/swimming in one glacial lakes and it was balls cold!

I also went on a bike ride a bit ago and January/Feb turns out to be a pretty sweet time in the Headlands

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
driving the alaska highway on a nice day is awesome

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mederlock posted:

You've just given me inspiration to attempt one or two of those hikes this summer with my roommate. Which of the Kananaskis hikes are somewhat easier for a 3 day backpacking trip for someone with a new backpacker in tow?

You got me to pull out my Gemtrek maps, which are awesome maps and anyone who spends time here should have them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Picnic Princess posted:

You got me to pull out my Gemtrek maps, which are awesome maps and anyone who spends time here should have them.

Welp, accidentally posted before I even looked, sit tight I guess. Hahaha.

And then I loving quoted myself. I have been working too drat hard!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You guys might enjoy viewing/posting in the Landscape Thread over in Dorkroom. That thread, along with Photo a Day and the Dorkroom in general are great resources if you want to get some good, honest constructive critique and improve your skills, or just want to browse awesome photos by some very talented goon photographers. Or if you don't care about peoples' silly opinions but just want to share your photos there's the Low Effort Terrible Photograph Dump

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 10, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mederlock posted:

Anyway, real posting: When I did my backpacking class, we went to Upper Kananaskis Lake, to the North interlake day use area, hiked into Fork backcountry campground, then backtracked and split off to go to Point backcountry campground for our second night. You could also just stay at Fork and day hike some of the trails in the area.

There's also Ribbon Falls/Ribbon Lake and beyond. I would suggest going to Ribbon Falls and base-camping there while day hiking beyond unless you feel confident with distance and steep sections. There's a bit of a steep bit between the falls and the lake, with camping at both sites. It's less than 2km inbetween but that should give you an indication of the terrain grade. But heading to one of those two places would allow you to dayhike up to Lilian Lake. There's also a site there but it depends on your skill level and it's hard to judge without experience. I'm really slow on uphills but lightning fast on downhills, so I would personally go to Ribbon Falls, then to Lilian Lake, then head all the way out on day 3.

This is assuming you only have one vehicle. If you can drop one car off at one location then drive to another and do a linear trip, that's a different story.

Tomorrow I'll make a Canadian Rockies thread. I have a lot to say and don't want ot clutter up this and other threads toooooo much.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I like hiking and taking pictures

Valais, Switzerland

Vosges, France

Pyrénées, France

Cape Verde

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 10, 2016

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I know all these majestic natural areas are nice, but sometimes I get a lot more enjoyment out of just going to local parks. The Portland area has a lot of small and midsize parks that are great places to meet and just watch people. I think that a lot of goons would enjoy this one:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

I know all these majestic natural areas are nice, but sometimes I get a lot more enjoyment out of just going to local parks. The Portland area has a lot of small and midsize parks that are great places to meet and just watch people. I think that a lot of goons would enjoy this one:

MY PARK HAS BEEN TURNED INT A MEME BY IDIOTS
Park

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Harrison Hot Springs, BC

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I recently finished the Tongariro Northern Circuit, a four-day hike around Mt Ngauruhoe (aka Mt Doom in LotR) in Tongariro National Park, New Zealand. Tongariro National Park has dual world heritage status for its natural landscape and cultural significance to the native Maori people, and is home to three active volcanoes, the eponymous Mt Tongariro, the aforementioned Mt Ngauruhoe and also Mt Ruapehu.

First day was pretty standard New Zealand native forest and scrublands with views of Ngauruhoe and Tongariro:

Ngauruhoe

Tongariro

The second day overlaps with New Zealand's most popular day walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The crossing climbs up to a small plateau between Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro, with optional side trips to the summits of both mountains. On a clear day it offers incredible panoramic views of the surrounding volcanic lakes, craters and valleys, along with much of the central North Island. I did not get a clear day. Instead I got mist, drizzle and wind. The misty clouds had a silver lining though - for one thing there were far fewer day walkers on the track, which on a busy day sees over 2000 people walk it, and for another the mist, although it limited visibility to a couple of dozen meters for much of the day, made for some cool moody photos when I could keep my lens dry for long enough to take them:

Unfortunately the mist got into my camera and took it out of action for the third day. Fortunately it dried out by the fourth and is okay now but I missed out on what would have been at least two of the best shots of the trip. One of Mount Ngauruhoe lit up with pink pre-sunrise light, rising out of a heavy bank of fog, with cloud rolling down either side of the mountain and with the setting full moon hanging just off to the right of the mountain. The other of a glory around my shadow, which looked something like the second photo on the wikipedia page I linked. My phone was also out of action that morning for the same reason, but dried out in time to get these two of Nguaruhoe and Ruapehu respectively:

The fourth day was fairly similar to the first, and the lighting conditions weren't very good for landscape photography so I didn't take many pictures, although I did get a shot of one of the ubiquitous and noisy cicadas, and an obligatory shot of a lake from a side walk:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I wish I had volcanoes :smith:

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
What kind of phone do you have? As a true goon I shower with my phone and have dropped it into water several times and have never had it go out due to mist/water/urine. [Note 4 user]

Also I am really jealous, I wish I could visit NZ.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ceros_X posted:

What kind of phone do you have?

iphone 5. It probably would have worked for the sunrise pics on day 3 if I'd tried to turn it on but I was under the assumption that the battery was flat. It'd turned itself off when I tried to send a photo to a friend in the misty rain the day before and then came up with the flat battery screen when I tried to turn it back on. However I was able to turn it on later on day 3 and it still had about 33% battery.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2016

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Sometimes I hike and take pictures.

Was hiking in Valhalla Provincial Park (pretty much the same area that Picnic Princess has documented in this thread) and a mountain goat came and chilled with me for a few minutes, admired the view, etc. and then went on his way.

Iona Beach, in Vancouver

Palouse Falls, in eastern Washington

Painted Hills, in eastern Oregon

Mono Lake, in the Eastern Sierras, California

e: PS: Picnic Princess your shots rule, they've made me want to check some of these places out.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 14, 2016

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Here is me at Glacier 65million 2 years ago:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Here are some fresh photos from yesterday.

Mt Rundle

St. Nicholas Peak and Bow Glacier

Crowfoot Glacier

The western peaks of Lake Louise such as Niblock, Lefroy, Popes Peak etc, Waputik Mountain foreground right.

Just car photos so nothing too exciting. Soon I'll post some pics I took with my cell phone while doing an avalanche safety course.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What is the Canadian equivalent to AIARE? Also what are you doing avalanche training for, what are your goals in the snow?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Some spring break highlights.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do Americans usually take assault rifles with them on hikes?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

No, just me. It's my gimmick, like the garden gnome thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

spwrozek posted:

What is the Canadian equivalent to AIARE? Also what are you doing avalanche training for, what are your goals in the snow?

We have the Canadian Avalanche Association. They're most well known for running Avalanche Canada, which focuses on forecasts and public education/information through their website. The majority of training is through private companies affiliated with them as well as the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides and the International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations. The top training company, who I went with, is Yamnuska Mountain Adventures. I took this course mostly as a requisite for my degree as I need an "advanced certificate in an applicable field" but also decided that I would probably spend more time snowshoeing in the mountains than anything else I could choose, and just wanted it for my own personal knowledge and comfort. I don't do much snow travel right now due to school and work, but I will be graduating soon and the mountains are my drug. I can't stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
that's weird as gently caress

• Locked thread