Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kanaskis Country, Alberta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Is that from the fire lookout along Pocaterra lookout trail? I haven't actually been on that trail yet, which I really ought to.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Picnic Princess posted:

Is that from the fire lookout along Pocaterra lookout trail? I haven't actually been on that trail yet, which I really ought to.
The trail was called Kananaskis Fire Lookout. I'm not sure if that's the same trail you're referring to.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah it is. On my map it's labeled Pocaterra and goes to the Kananaskis Fire Lookout. Silly.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

This thread makes me want to go hiking in Canada. One day when I'm not longer a student and it won't pretty much annihilate my savings account in one fell swoop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Come to BC imo, the coast is unparalleled.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wafflecopper posted:

This thread makes me want to go hiking in Canada. One day when I'm not longer a student and it won't pretty much annihilate my savings account in one fell swoop.

Canada is pretty neat, I have to say. I'm kind of obsessed with our Rockies, if you couldn't already tell. If you end up here and have questions, I can answer 99% of them.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Because I am bad at taking pictures, a waterfall a fishing pole and my thumb.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

After doing Ha Ling and most of Lady Mac (wtf is with that knifedge holy gently caress) I can see why this place is the tits. It's definitely made me consider relocating to Calgary to be closer to this place and hike a buttload more. I mean I already did it a lot but I could do it even more.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Yesterday I went out to the Savage Gulf Area in the Cumberland plateau. Did a ~13-mile loop down into this gorge and then back along the ridge top.

Popular swimming hole at Greeter Falls

Broadtree Falls was pretty quiet

Ranger Falls, near the bottom of the gorge. The creek sinks underground here during the summer.

The Stone Door, an enormous crack in the face of the bluff

Nearly walked face-first into this nest hanging directly over the trail

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A Kpro posted:

After doing Ha Ling and most of Lady Mac (wtf is with that knifedge holy gently caress) I can see why this place is the tits. It's definitely made me consider relocating to Calgary to be closer to this place and hike a buttload more. I mean I already did it a lot but I could do it even more.

I didn't finish Lady Mac, I got up on that ridge and said "Yep, that's good enough"

I'm the red dot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

haha yeah I'd take one look at that and NOPE

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

I didn't finish Lady Mac, I got up on that ridge and said "Yep, that's good enough"

I'm the red dot.

I couldn't believe that was the route. 2000 foot drop on one side, slick rock at a steep angle on the other. And that wasn't even the super sketchy part.

I'm gonna have so many photos when I'm done here. Did Mt Bourgeau today, and because the people I was with were completely insane, we got up and down within 7 hours including two 15 minute breaks

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is impressive time for Bourgeau, I must say. It's known as a long day. The one time I tried it I was massively hungover so I only got as far as the lake half way up.

I did do this hyperlapse when I was there though, because we decided we just wanted to hang out recuperating rather than keep going. It was a very pretty place to dick around for a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOke2igOQ0

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

A Kpro posted:

I couldn't believe that was the route. 2000 foot drop on one side, slick rock at a steep angle on the other. And that wasn't even the super sketchy part.

I'm gonna have so many photos when I'm done here. Did Mt Bourgeau today, and because the people I was with were completely insane, we got up and down within 7 hours including two 15 minute breaks

:vince: That walk is making me feel uneasy, and I'm just sitting at a desk. What if it got real gusty while one was crossing :barf:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It does get SUPER gusty because that valley is a wind tunnel. You can hear it coming though so you can crouch down and hang on. I think there's only been one death on that ridge which is pretty impressive.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Heading out to Red River Gorge tomorrow. So far my favorite has been Cloudsplitter, great view and a fun little scramble up it. Nothing like being out away from everything.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I acquired some new thread material.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
really pumped for my achilles to get better done looking at these pics

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
went for a hike that following a creek bed for a long ways through the mountains. it was cool

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bP63QR3.jpg[/url][/img]

but whats really cool was there was lots of pools of pristine looking water along the way

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Also hiked today for canada day and decided to follow an old section of the original alaska highway to celebrate that northern canadian heritage (the alaska highway turns 75 next year as well)

you can still see the road but its now pretty overgrown

you can get to a cool viewpoint over the modern alaska highway from where I was though:

Some Dall sheep and their young were hanging out on nearby cliffs

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

People like birds, right?

A great horned owl that I shot from my father-in-law's balcony in the country on Canada Day. We've been having some crazy storms the past few days here, it's been lovely.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

That's not a sheep, that's some sort of demonic skull-faced death-dog from my worst nightmares :stonk:

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
We went backpacking. There was still a lot of snow.

edit: John Muir Wilderness, forgot to say. McGee trail head to Duck Lake trail head. We saw one group of backpackers the first two days, it was A+++++. And there's a glacier in the third picture, it's just covered in snow.

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 8, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saturday night on Kissimmee Prairie, Florida.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Fantabulous pictures, all, thank you :)

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It was a fun trip

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

gently caress YEAH ASSINIBOINE

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
25 mile hike + 8 on bike for the Assiniboine loop. After Lady Mac, Ha Ling, East Rundle, Mt Bourgeau, a walk in Banff, two trips up Cougar Creek, and the K100, ended up close to 100 miles of hiking/running and 20000 feet of vertical.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo you're a machine. Great job!

code08
Sep 18, 2014

Bear Lake (with Longs Peak) in Rocky Mountain National Park

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

code08 posted:

Bear Lake (with Longs Peak) in Rocky Mountain National Park

:waycool:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

From last weekend, Mt. Black Prince Cirque.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Do you have a larger/higher-res version of this? I would LOVE to set this as a wallpaper. Fantastic shots all around, but that one is special.

vv Thanks! vv

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 16, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

TotalLossBrain posted:

Do you have a larger/higher-res version of this? I would LOVE to set this as a wallpaper. Fantastic shots all around, but that one is special.

Certainly do! Here's a linked huge version.

http://imgur.com/YVjvIQT

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
The popular Fiery Gizzard trail in Tennessee is being rerouted down off a ridge and in some sections are installing these ~350lb blocks (sandstone I think?) as steps.
We used a pulley system to bring them down, but unfortunately I didn't get any good action shots.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A gorgeous photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Spent a few days in the southeastern corner of Glacier National Park

• Locked thread