Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Took a nice hike in Snowdonia National Park in Wales last week up above Llyn Idwal. It's very pretty and I want to go back already.

Flying home I just happened to open the window shade as we were flying over Greenland. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

I did the tour de Mont Blanc earlier this summer, here's a few pics:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Spent a long weekend cycling and hiking around the Bernese oberland and Valais in Switzerland. Saw chamois, marmots, glaciers and lots of lakes. Was pretty good.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Rainier.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I posted a trip report in YLLS, reposting here because it's basically all pics

I never posted any pics from the subpeak known as Smutwood Peak I did a few weeks ago! I should do that.

I've posted pics from the beginning of this hike before, it starts on Commonwealth Creek then climbs up into a hanging valley before getting up on a ridge between two big mountains, Birdwood (pictured) and Smuts. Both are named for World War 1 generals. A lot of our mountains are.

There was a big rock and it was raining.

Sometimes the trail was steep.

Hiking beside Mt. Birdwood. All of those bands of rock are parallel, which might give you an idea of how loving big the mountain is. It also rises like a fin out of the Earth, as you will see later.

We started at the highway way down in the valley, beyond the meadows. The parking lot is off to the left behind the treed ridge in the foreground.

I made it to the false summit on the left. The husband made it to the true summit on the right. He's a lot faster, and we had some bad weather coming while we were up there so I made the choice to stop there.

False summit, true summit, and Mt. Smuts which is notorious as one of the most difficult and dangerous scrambles in the Rockies. The lakes are called Birdwood Tarns and are a popular day hike.

Getting up onto the ridge meant walking along the east border of the southern section of Banff National Park, which I'm looking at here. The valley is called Spray Valley which has some backcountry campsites and also lots of bears.

Looking down on Birdwood Tarns from the false summit.

Mt. Birdwood, creating some cloud. You can kind of make out the trail we took cutting across the slope above the tarns.

We were treated to a rainbow spanning between Mt. Smuts and Mt. Birdwood on the descent. When I say Kananaskis Country is the local's best kept secret, this is the sort of thing I talk about.

A panorama from the ridge.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
Went on a hike with my family. Photos are taken with a phone, but the location is still beautiful.

Emigrant Wilderness, Stanislaus National Forest, CA

We were trying to traverse a canyon. We basically lost the trail and almost got "cliffed out," as my dad put it.
Photos really don't emphasize that the foreground (the rock that the man in black is on) and background (where all the trees are) were ~1000 feet apart.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
tfw when the leaves are turning and it was still august

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

b0ner of doom posted:

tfw when the leaves are turning and it was still august

Yeah I'm chillin in Jasper AB and it's fall as gently caress up here.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

HoboNews posted:

Went on a hike with my family. Photos are taken with a phone, but the location is still beautiful.

Emigrant Wilderness, Stanislaus National Forest, CA

Nice, I was out there last year in September and it was brown and dried up as hell. Looks a bit greener this year.

Tycho1572
Sep 1, 2016

Beautiful pics ITT. :cool:

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Crossposted from TFR

Planned to go to the Tetons but turns out it was all on fire

So I decided to press on to Yellowstone, though I had to go west through Idaho (which owns btw) as the road to the south entrance was closed due to fire.

Turns out Yellowstone is loving cool, man

(It's not as intense or as high altitude as some of the neater hikes in CO but Mt Washburn and the fire observation post is a seriously cool hike)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very nice!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

And some random shots from the first day and a half of my camping trip.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

:eyepop:

What camera are you using to take those photos?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It was a Nikon D7000. Which sadly rolled down a rocky slope one of the nights I was out, photographing the northern lights. It broke beyond repair. Case cracked, pins on the mirror inside broke, shutter seized, electronics shorted. My husband and I spent 5 hours taking it apart and learning about all the parts, which was actually super cool, and I ended up buying a D7100 as a replacement a few days after I got home.

I also have Photoshop for retouching and stitching panoramas, and I use three different lenses.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Epitope posted:

Why are photos of scenery so utterly boring

say what

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Also finally killed my hiking shoes, rip

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Picnic Princess posted:

It was a Nikon D7000. Which sadly rolled down a rocky slope one of the nights I was out, photographing the northern lights. It broke beyond repair. Case cracked, pins on the mirror inside broke, shutter seized, electronics shorted. My husband and I spent 5 hours taking it apart and learning about all the parts, which was actually super cool, and I ended up buying a D7100 as a replacement a few days after I got home.

I also have Photoshop for retouching and stitching panoramas, and I use three different lenses.

Oh poo poo, my condolences. I'd hate to have something happen to my camera. At least it was an excuse to get an upgrade I guess. Was the lens you had on at the time okay?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The lens was surprisingly fine, it doesn't focus 100% anymore but that's okay, it's just for night photos anyway.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Holy crap DeesGrandpa that's gorgeous!

Does anyone here use a go-pro style camera to take photos when hiking? Afaik they have no screen, so do you just point it at the scenery and hope for the best? I'm considering picking one up eventually cause I have this vision of strapping it to my chest and time lapsing a whole hike. When that inevitably fails to work out like I planned I guess it'll get used as a robust camera in a waterproof case that can fit in my hip belt pocket. :v:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a GoPro Hero4 Black, but I don't hike with it often. I usually save it for when I'm in the ocean. Last year I used it when I was finishing up a backpacking trip in a blizzard, though. It was relatively warm and the snow was horribly heavy and wet, the GoPro made it possible to actually document poo poo that would have trashed my DSLR.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
some random pics from camping around ealier in the year

St. Elias Lake. following an old mining trail in Kluane national park takes you to this nice spot. there's a rustic campsite there

cool little hike up to soldier's summit overtop the alaska highway. wind that day was blowing silt from slim's river all over kluane lake

you get good views of kathleen lake along the cottonwood trail but the weather was poo poo that day

I was fishing in Teslin Lake and thought the clouds here looked cool i guess

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I need to get my sorry rear end up there

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

What lenses do you normally take? I've got a D7100 with an assortment of lenses but I am thinking about just taking my Fuji X100S for weight reasons. Backpacking the Dolly Sods wilderness for three days next week.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I need to get my sorry rear end up there

u should. i live up here but believe it's well worth the trip for anyone who likes outdoors stuff

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What lenses do you normally take? I've got a D7100 with an assortment of lenses but I am thinking about just taking my Fuji X100S for weight reasons. Backpacking the Dolly Sods wilderness for three days next week.

Two kit lenses, the Nikkor 18-105mm and 70-300mm, plus a Rokinon 14mm f/2.4. I mostly use that last one for night photos. It's actually really good at it, considering it was $350

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Observation Point, Zion National Park - Click for Panorama - thanks californiasushi for dragging me up there!

Kolob Canyon, Zion National Park - Click for Panorama

Lake Tenaya, Yosemite National Park - Click for bigger

Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park - Click for bigger

Jane @ Lake Tenaya - Click for bigger

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

Two kit lenses, the Nikkor 18-105mm and 70-300mm, plus a Rokinon 14mm f/2.4. I mostly use that last one for night photos. It's actually really good at it, considering it was $350

I had a similar Rokinon for my Fuji X series and it always amazed me. I see you too have the 70-300, fantastic lens. Guess I'll just factor in a little more weight for the trip. :)

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

These pictures are making me want to buy a fancy DSLR and lenses that I will have no idea how to use.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

IronDoge posted:

These pictures are making me want to buy a fancy DSLR and lenses that I will have no idea how to use.

Get an entry level Nikon/Canon/whatever and just shoot with the kit lens for a long time.The reality is the technical know how is easy to learn, the most important part of the process is learning how to "see" the scene and translate that into a cool photo.

You can find a good entry level kit for very little money. Go back a 3/4 years in tech and get it for pennies on the dollar and still have a great setup.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Tonkin is quite photogenic
DSC09093

DSC09238

DSC09384

DSC09368

DSC09314

DSC09064

DSC09450

by SpaceGoatFarts, sur Flickr

IronDoge posted:

All the pics from my flickr are taken with a compact camera that fits in my pocket all the time (Sony RX100 mkI)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 2, 2016

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

All the pics from my flickr are taken with a compact camera that fits in my pocket all the time (Sony RX100 mkI)

That sony is a beast, I just couldn't get used to it because of size but it has amazing IQ!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Some more from my camping trip a month ago.

And the last photo my D7000 took.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

camping in the canyonlands

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I like glacial lakes.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Few pictures from a couple various trips.

Big Bend

Seeing one of these boulders falling off the canyon wall would have been an amazing sight.

Pedernales Falls and Enchanted Rock

Cruise trip to the Caribbean. Different colored waters is neat.

Also this random sunset thing. Anyone know what's going on here?

• Locked thread