Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice photos man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Gates of the valley photo is amazing. Nice work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

buddhanc posted:

Those are some incredible photos. Has anyone here ever trekked through where the revenant was filmed? It's goddamn beautiful wherever it is.

I believe it was Montana. Nice thing about Montana is no one goes there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Splitboarding today.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What is the Canadian equivalent to AIARE? Also what are you doing avalanche training for, what are your goals in the snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Picnic Princess posted:

We have the Canadian Avalanche Association. They're most well known for running Avalanche Canada, which focuses on forecasts and public education/information through their website. The majority of training is through private companies affiliated with them as well as the Association of Canadian Mountain Guides and the International Federation of Mountain Guide Associations. The top training company, who I went with, is Yamnuska Mountain Adventures. I took this course mostly as a requisite for my degree as I need an "advanced certificate in an applicable field" but also decided that I would probably spend more time snowshoeing in the mountains than anything else I could choose, and just wanted it for my own personal knowledge and comfort. I don't do much snow travel right now due to school and work, but I will be graduating soon and the mountains are my drug. I can't stay away.

That is cool. Snowmobilers are statistically at the most risk of causing an avalanche followed closely by skiers. I spend a good amount of time in the backcountry. I picked up an ABS float air bag from BCA this year. Always nice to see people think about safety and make the right approach.

Not exactly photos but a short video from Sunday: https://youtu.be/2F1vF2pC6SQ

• Locked thread