Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Half Dome sunset

Yosemite highlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Finally got up to Yosemite Valley in the winter. This may be the best time to visit as the crowds are minimal and the scenery is exquisite with the snow.

Royal Arches & North Dome

Tunnel view in winter (2)

Gates of the Valley at night

Reflection on Merced

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

nice! how are the roads up there in the winter?

Very well maintained, but you will need to have chains in your car. We only had to use them for a short stretch on the Wawona Road just before and after the turn off for Glacier Point road. And even then we only used chains because they were enforcing their use. Could have probably made it without just by driving slowly and carefully.

It was actually surprising the number of people driving with chains on their tires when it was absolutely not needed.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

The valley is incredible in many ways...incredible views and scenery and incredibly crowded with cars and people during the summer. It's maybe worth it if you've never been there before but I'd recommend heading up to Tuloumne Meadows. Still a good chunk of people but not nearly so bad, most of the people up there are camping and hiking rather than sightseeing in their cars, etc. If you want to stay in the campsite though you have to either have a backcountry permit (in which case you get 1 night at the backpackers campground) or reserve a site pretty far in advance...when they make a block available.

Very worth seeing though!

Just wanted to add to this that as bad as the crowds can be at times it is still worth going (just don't go July 4th weekend for the love of God).

Also Tuolumne is a beautiful area worth visiting as well - especially if you can drive in from the east side of the Sierra. Definitely less crowded with lots of beautiful trails to explore.

I'm seriously thinking winter is the best time to go for future trips. There were walk-ups still available for the tent cabins in Curry Village. Camp 4 and Upper Pines (both walk-in this time of year) were wide open with spots to camp. The only time we encountered crowds was in the parking lot at Curry village. And even then it was only due to half the lot not having been plowed clear of snow yet. Once that was done there were no problems.

Lastly if you want to go during warmer months but don't have a reservation don't sweat it too much. There are plenty of options if you are flexible and adaptable. Camp 4 is a first-come first-served campground open year round. Checking the recreation.gov for last minute cancellations can work to your advantage. Going to the campground reservations office and get on the waiting list for last minute cancellations is possible. And last resort is to get a back country permit for the following day - which gives you that night to stay in the backpackers camp. Then you can try your luck with the other campgrounds again the next morning, or head off on a back country adventure!

*edited to add a shot from Tuolomne

HarryPurvis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 21, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Levitate posted:

How cold did it get at night, were you camping outside?

High 20s at night. Stayed in the unheated tent cabins at Curry Village ($49 a night). A bit pricey for camping, but was nice to have access to heated bathrooms with showers and hot water. They have beds and give you blankets, but bringing a sleeping bag is advised. Very cozy, but I felt it for the price it was worth it.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Sockser posted:

Part of this trail includes a literal loving plane crash

That's awesome! There are a couple hikes in Southern California where wreckage is just off the trail. Or in some cases right on the trail!

C-47 crash site

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Best view I've ever had from an outhouse.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
God drat those are some amazing pictures Picnic Princess. I need to get up to Canada some day.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Did a hike along a stretch of the PCT near Vasquez Rocks. Everything was so green! And some of the formations out there look like they belong in Utah rather than Southern California.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

A few pics from the walks around my place (Walloon Brabant):

Gorgeous

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Have some photos of springtime in Los Angeles taken at Eaton Canyon.

HarryPurvis fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 16, 2016

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Got out for a nice overnight this past weekend in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. Man, it's been too long. Need to get out more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Some more SoCal hiking photos:

The view west from San Jacinto Peak.

San Jacinto Wilderness / State Park

Morning on the Vivian Creek trail in the San Gorgonio Wilderness

More early morning Vivian Creek trail

San Jacinto Peak as seen from the San Gorgonio wilderness

Got to love that afternoon light in a forest

Sunset from Mill Creek. Fun fact, this is one of the very few places you can see evidence of past glaciation in Southern California!

• Locked thread