Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hi, I dunno if this thread wants yet another Canadian hiker posting (Vancouver area hikes) but I made this gif today at Mount Seymour and thought it was cool enough to share!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I think that's amazing! You can really see the cloud formation from orographic lift!

buddhanc posted:

That's p cool. Looks beautiful and I can feel the perfect hiking weather through the screen.

Thank you!!! There was a lot of snow still up there so it was a slightly treacherous hike.

Now that I know about this thread I should post more pictures, I hike every couple of weeks in the Vancouver area, we have some ridiculously awesome trails and nature so close to the city. Just a couple weeks ago during a heat wave I took this one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I took the day off work today to hit up Golden Ears Provincial Park just outside Vancouver, I hadn't been there before and heard it was mega gorgeous and it did not disappoint. I did a little over half of the main backcountry trail, because there was snow on the 2nd half!

and there has to be a geology goon in an outdoors thread...there's a ton of granite boulders in this area, apparently dumped here by glaciers during the last ice age, and a good portion of them are covered in little rock/crystal zits, what do you think these are? The rest are smooth/zit-less so it was kinda weird how some were like this and some weren't. I know a decent bit about trees/plants/animals but rocks are something funky to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Levitate posted:

I'm no geology nerd but it's probably just quartz?

Oh yeah maybe, I know poo poo all about rocks. It was just weird how some boulders had the crystal zits and some did not! Seemed to be random.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Quartz/quartzite precipitates and crsytals are super common in all rocks everywhere as those are some of the most common elements found on Earth. Here in the Rockies where everything is sedimentary CaCO3 with a bit of SiO2, all the old cracks from deep within the earth are filled with white SiO2 precipiates which sometimes crystalize and sometimes stay massive. Depends on the conditions, but it was always under high pressure and heat underground before the mountains raised into the sky. Now when cracks form they fill with water, which expands when it freezes and just pushed the rocks apart, accelerating erosion and makes our mountains crumble rather than gluing them back together.

In the case of granite, those rocks are formed in slow cooling conditions. Certain minerals form at different temperatures, and when the temperature cool slowly, you get large crystals forming from certain elements at different times depending on the temperature. Rocks that cool super fast tend to turn into things like obsidian; there's no time to form crystals at all. The larger and more varied the different crystals in granite are, the longer it took to cool. That usually means it cooled below the Earth's surface and was then pushed up above by plate tectonics, as opposed to obsidian which tends to be formed by volcanoes and cooled above the surface on exposure to the atmosphere. Basalt is also formed that way but is highly porous due to gases forming air bubbles but the rock solidifies right away and leaves the holes in tact.

This is so awesome, thank you for this! Are you a geologist by trade/education? I've learned a ton about all the trees and plants and ecology/biomes of the forests and mountains here, but the geology part I don't know much. So likely these boulders would have been pushed up from forming underground, then deposited by the glaciers like tens of thousands of years ago? That's fuckin badass.

I saw from your pics that you're in AB! Have you ever been to Vancouver? I'm completely in love with the mountains here. Between like 1880 and 1920 the forests were mostly logged or burned down, so you have these enormous old growth stumps everywhere surrounded by super thick/dense new growth (~100 year old) cedar and Douglas Fir that looks like this:

or this:

or this:

I'm so lucky to live here, forests are my favourite thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The aurora was incredible this time, I didn't take this as I don't have the gear for night pics, but someone else took this of them above Vancouver

It's really rare to see them this visible in the city lights, always beautiful

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, it was unbelievable. I've seen the northern lights quite a few times in my life, but I can only remember 1 time in recent memory that they were so visible within a city the size of Vancouver. I used to work on ships, and I remember one incredible experience in the middle of the night, pitch black everywhere, and these incredible flowing patterns glowing overhead, literally a magical moment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I went on a Victoria Day hike today, it was a bit grey and cloudy in Vancouver but I did not expect conditions to be this rough up the mountain. I always hike pretty well prepared but I should've brought crampons this time, I couldn't quite make the summit of Mount Seymour as I lost the trail in the fog (couldn't see the trail at all due to the snow)

Happy month before summer :|

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hi thread, I went for a hike today. It was kinda cloudy and wet for most of the morning here but the mountain looked and felt and smelled (wet forests smell incredible) amazing going up

and the view at the end is always worth it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those are some nice stars.

I took advantage of this ridiculous heat wave we're having here to hike to a pretty little lake

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I like mountain critters big and small!

In other news, I made a 360 degree panorama of a thing I climbed on Saturday. The little building is a 6' tall equipment shed that no one seems to know why it exists.

Goddamn I live too far away from the Rockies

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was away on the weekend on a short trip to the middle part of the Rocky Mountain Trench in southeastern BC, and did a cool hike to see hoodoos in terrain that I was very much not used to

it was super windy and the cliffs/hoodoos were super steep and scary :ohdear:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It rained today for my hike in Lynn Valley in Vancouver, I nearly died to mud and torrential rain over the ~14km but it was real pretty.

This cedar tree is one of only a handful of old-growth trees left around here, the area was clear-cut around 1890-1910. It's estimated at 600-700 years old :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Come to BC imo, the coast is unparalleled.

• Locked thread