Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorem Gypsum
Jul 14, 2007

Here are a few I took in the Sierra, above and below ground, and two from Big Sur.

I also don't really post much, anywhere, at all, so I may have screwed it up. Never posted images before. :ohdear:

Ok. I think I got it this time. Eeesh.

The top four are caves in the Sierra, and we don't do names or locations on those. The first two are speleothems called Helictites, and are objectively the best formations, it's a fact. If you want to know how they work, this is good: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep15525. Next is Aragonite (Dogtooth Spar) in a nice cluster, with lots of smaller crystals growing off the large crystal faces.
Next, an underground lake in an all-marble cave. Really, they're all marble in the Sierra, at least in SEKI. All metamorphic.

The next three are in Mineral King. First is just water passing over rocks. The next is Mineral Peak, viewed from around Sawtooth Pass/Lower Monarch. Snowpack was about eight feet, and it was June 6 2017. Finally got a good water year. Lots of snowbridges over torrential flow underneath, you can see some of the depressions in the top where it would be obvious that there would be a drainage. The next is Timber Gap from the floor of Mineral King valley. After that, Lupines after a rainstorm, bonus katydid in there somewhere. Still in SEKI.

The last two are Pacific Coast, first one is a purple shore crab (Hemigrapsus nudus) being ridiculous. Next is a spanish shawl nudibranch (Flabellina iodinea) being fabulous, as they do. Big Sur and San Simeon.

Lorem Gypsum fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread