Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like mountain critters big and small!

In other news, I made a 360 degree panorama of a thing I climbed on Saturday. The little building is a 6' tall equipment shed that no one seems to know why it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

gently caress I love glaciers

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A Kpro posted:

Late edit, my mom just moved to Canmore and I'll be up there in about 2 weeks to explore and hike some awesome areas. And also run a 100 mile relay race in the Kananaskis.

:holy:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Is that from the fire lookout along Pocaterra lookout trail? I haven't actually been on that trail yet, which I really ought to.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah it is. On my map it's labeled Pocaterra and goes to the Kananaskis Fire Lookout. Silly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wafflecopper posted:

This thread makes me want to go hiking in Canada. One day when I'm not longer a student and it won't pretty much annihilate my savings account in one fell swoop.

Canada is pretty neat, I have to say. I'm kind of obsessed with our Rockies, if you couldn't already tell. If you end up here and have questions, I can answer 99% of them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A Kpro posted:

After doing Ha Ling and most of Lady Mac (wtf is with that knifedge holy gently caress) I can see why this place is the tits. It's definitely made me consider relocating to Calgary to be closer to this place and hike a buttload more. I mean I already did it a lot but I could do it even more.

I didn't finish Lady Mac, I got up on that ridge and said "Yep, that's good enough"

I'm the red dot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is impressive time for Bourgeau, I must say. It's known as a long day. The one time I tried it I was massively hungover so I only got as far as the lake half way up.

I did do this hyperlapse when I was there though, because we decided we just wanted to hang out recuperating rather than keep going. It was a very pretty place to dick around for a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOke2igOQ0

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It does get SUPER gusty because that valley is a wind tunnel. You can hear it coming though so you can crouch down and hang on. I think there's only been one death on that ridge which is pretty impressive.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I acquired some new thread material.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

People like birds, right?

A great horned owl that I shot from my father-in-law's balcony in the country on Canada Day. We've been having some crazy storms the past few days here, it's been lovely.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

gently caress YEAH ASSINIBOINE

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo you're a machine. Great job!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

From last weekend, Mt. Black Prince Cirque.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

TotalLossBrain posted:

Do you have a larger/higher-res version of this? I would LOVE to set this as a wallpaper. Fantastic shots all around, but that one is special.

Certainly do! Here's a linked huge version.

http://imgur.com/YVjvIQT

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I posted a trip report in YLLS, reposting here because it's basically all pics

I never posted any pics from the subpeak known as Smutwood Peak I did a few weeks ago! I should do that.

I've posted pics from the beginning of this hike before, it starts on Commonwealth Creek then climbs up into a hanging valley before getting up on a ridge between two big mountains, Birdwood (pictured) and Smuts. Both are named for World War 1 generals. A lot of our mountains are.

There was a big rock and it was raining.

Sometimes the trail was steep.

Hiking beside Mt. Birdwood. All of those bands of rock are parallel, which might give you an idea of how loving big the mountain is. It also rises like a fin out of the Earth, as you will see later.

We started at the highway way down in the valley, beyond the meadows. The parking lot is off to the left behind the treed ridge in the foreground.

I made it to the false summit on the left. The husband made it to the true summit on the right. He's a lot faster, and we had some bad weather coming while we were up there so I made the choice to stop there.

False summit, true summit, and Mt. Smuts which is notorious as one of the most difficult and dangerous scrambles in the Rockies. The lakes are called Birdwood Tarns and are a popular day hike.

Getting up onto the ridge meant walking along the east border of the southern section of Banff National Park, which I'm looking at here. The valley is called Spray Valley which has some backcountry campsites and also lots of bears.

Looking down on Birdwood Tarns from the false summit.

Mt. Birdwood, creating some cloud. You can kind of make out the trail we took cutting across the slope above the tarns.

We were treated to a rainbow spanning between Mt. Smuts and Mt. Birdwood on the descent. When I say Kananaskis Country is the local's best kept secret, this is the sort of thing I talk about.

A panorama from the ridge.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

b0ner of doom posted:

tfw when the leaves are turning and it was still august

Yeah I'm chillin in Jasper AB and it's fall as gently caress up here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

And some random shots from the first day and a half of my camping trip.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It was a Nikon D7000. Which sadly rolled down a rocky slope one of the nights I was out, photographing the northern lights. It broke beyond repair. Case cracked, pins on the mirror inside broke, shutter seized, electronics shorted. My husband and I spent 5 hours taking it apart and learning about all the parts, which was actually super cool, and I ended up buying a D7100 as a replacement a few days after I got home.

I also have Photoshop for retouching and stitching panoramas, and I use three different lenses.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The lens was surprisingly fine, it doesn't focus 100% anymore but that's okay, it's just for night photos anyway.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a GoPro Hero4 Black, but I don't hike with it often. I usually save it for when I'm in the ocean. Last year I used it when I was finishing up a backpacking trip in a blizzard, though. It was relatively warm and the snow was horribly heavy and wet, the GoPro made it possible to actually document poo poo that would have trashed my DSLR.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I need to get my sorry rear end up there

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What lenses do you normally take? I've got a D7100 with an assortment of lenses but I am thinking about just taking my Fuji X100S for weight reasons. Backpacking the Dolly Sods wilderness for three days next week.

Two kit lenses, the Nikkor 18-105mm and 70-300mm, plus a Rokinon 14mm f/2.4. I mostly use that last one for night photos. It's actually really good at it, considering it was $350

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Some more from my camping trip a month ago.

And the last photo my D7000 took.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also this random sunset thing. Anyone know what's going on here?

It's a crepuscular ray if it's on the west horizon at sunset, and an anti-crepuscular ray if you're looking to the east. It's a shadow cast on the atmosphere, usually by a cloud or tall peak.

Edit:

Sometimes they can even be below you! Here's one I saw from a plane flying over the Strait of Malacca.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 23, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Jasper owns! Glad you could enjoy it!

I went on an overnight camping trip teaching grade 9 kids winter survival skills in Peter Lougheed PP in Kananaskis last weekend myself.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

extra stout posted:

Is this an edit or did you have a bunch of kids throw only green glow sticks in the air at the same time or some poo poo? God drat it's beautiful, I'd rather take my chances with survival than return from a place like that

This was actually their teacher going into the trees with a headlamp for some unknown reason. Completely unplanned, I have no clue what he was doing and he didn't know I was there.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I totally took a photo this morning.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So as I've said elsewhere, I spent the first 2 months of this year working in wildlife rehabilitation in northern Belize. So while not hiking related, I think you all might enjoy a bunch of cute photos of the animals I worked with, and some scenery.

I woke up to this lagoon every morning.

Max is a baby Yucatan Black Howler Monkey who was confiscated from the illegal exotic pet trade.

Hope is a baby Antillean Manatee who was born prematurely during Hurricane Earl and found washed up into someone's backyard 200m from shore. She was several pounds lighter than a newborn.

Full moonrise over the lagoon.

Venus was especially bright in January.

We had these awesome microburst storms where it would torrential downpour for less than a minute.

My main job was caring for the adult Geoffroy's Spider Monkeys. They're an endangered species, incredibly intelligent, and very strong. This is Mel. She had a very odd personality, and she often tried to grab at me. She managed to bite my finger, which sheared half the nail clean off and split the tip of the finger completely open.

L.C. was a manatee that was rescued after being struck by a boat. As a result she had a punctured lung that was inflating her thoracic cavity with air, and she was unable to submerge to feed. They tried several times to allow the air to escape via large needle and pump, but each time it refilled. A veterinarian visited from Texas and brought an ultrasound machine. It was decided that she would never be able to recover from her injuries and live a pain-free life, so the decision was made to euthanize her. I was present for the necropsy, and it was found she had multiple fractured ribs on top of the punctured lung that were causing her great suffering. It was really interesting to watch the necropsy. They tested the lungs by putting a large syringe tube into the bronchi and inflating it by mouth because there was no machine to do it.

Moose is one of four puppies that were spotted wandering in the countryside with no mother. Likely abandoned.

There were a lot of Florida Bark Scorpions around.

And several species of huntsman spiders. Yes, that is a 2x4.

The galactic center and zodiacal light shortly before dawn.

Brown basilisks were a common sight.

Nikki is a white-face capuchin who was slightly insane but completely loveable. She was imported into Belize, as they are not native to the country, and confiscated by the Forestry Department. It's not known where she came from, so she sadly can't be released.

There was a huge population of wild white-nose coati, because the monkeys often drop fruit on the ground, which provides a lot of snacks for the coati.

Rikki was my favourite monkey I cared for. She had these incredible pale blue eyes and loved to groom my hair.

This is a female currasow. There were a few being cared for that were injured rescues.

Video screenshot of me giving baby Hope some much needed socialization. Baby manatees usually spend every waking moment of their first year glued to their mother's side.

One night a potoo showed up.

Ocelia is a rescue ocelot. They're unsure if she's fit for release, though, as she may have hearing problems.

Red-rumped tarantula.

There are several other manatees being cared for. This is either Mitch or Lucky, I didn't spend any time with them so I can't tell them apart.

My hut is on the left. We slept with the door open because we're cool that way. I stayed on a top bunk. I found that even having a sheet under me was too hot to sleep, so it was just a bare mattress and a mosquito net. I love every second of it.

This is lunch. They hired cooks from the local village to prepare our lunch for us, because there was typically 30 people that needed to be fed. Meat wasn't common, as it's expensive and keeping enough chickens to feed that many people every day was expensive as well. We had meat maybe once or twice a week. But it was fine because they usually made amazing vegetarian dishes instead. So I have rice, beans, eggplant in marinara, chickpeas in marinara, mashed potatoes, fryjacks with a hint of cinnamon, fried plantains, salad, and cucumber with vinegar. What's missing here is the fresh tortillas they would make by hand every day as well. We were loving spoiled.

Pancho was a huge flirt and would puff out his chest so I would scratch it every time I walked by him.

Pippa also had gorgeous blue eyes.

Frolic was also a flirt. He is also a full adult and actually fathered a monkey after being rescued.

Frisky is the mom.

And Fig is the baby! He's two years old now. The first month I was there, he was in the monkey nursery because he had fallen and broken an arm, and was in a cast. But it was completely healed in late January and he was reunited with Frisky.

Duma is a total sweetheart and very caring. She saw my finger one day and reached out to gently touch it and closely inspect it. She also loved her red hammock and would happily sit in it after feedings.

Izzie is one of the sadder monkey stories. She was brought in as a tiny infant with 3 gunshot wounds and a shattered arm. She's all healed up now at 4 years old.

Rafiki is a permanent resident and will never be released. He has severe scoliosis and his spine is bent both vertically and horizontally. It's likely he was kept in too small a caged when he was young and it impacted his growth, or he was mishandled and abused. Or both.

Diego is a rescue Margay. I believe he had the forestry department called on him for raiding chicken coops, and they decided to have him removed rather than outright killing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rB7hx6JqI
And a video! Somehow I was offered to sit in the cockpit of a 4 seater Cessna and filmed landing at the San Pedro airport on Ambergris Caye.

I'm not sorry at all for this long post.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 8, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wow, thank you! I certainly hope I can continue to provide a bunch of interesting info! I'm currently at home resting for several weeks because of complications from pneumonia and it loving sucks. So no hiking and fun for me for a while.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was a genius and went to Mexico City while it was at its worst. If I was there for more than two nights I likely would have been hospitalized/died. One of those "people who die of air pollution" statistics.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That is so loving cool, holy poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Depends on what kind of nature. Are you looking to do landscape, or macro, or wildlife, or all of the above?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a couple friends with small Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, but I think they're in the same price range as entry level DSLRs. If that's fine, then perhaps something like that?

I wish I could offer a better opinion, but I just take my DSLR everywhere because I'm stubborn.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Cheating because I wan't out hiking, but I just took this 15 minutes ago in my front yard.

Living in Canada loving rules.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Please rub it in more, thank you.

Okee dokee!

Some more shots and a time lapse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHbzMumWDc

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I went up Sulphur Mountain in Banff on Sunday, my first legit hike since almost dying, it was awesome, I was so proud of myself, here's some photos, it's good to be home,

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

From a week and a half ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Fantastic. Deserts are fascinating, don't really have a whole lot around here but we do have some good badlands not far.

• Locked thread