Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I took this today at Beacon Rock State Park, which is famous for being the location of Beacon Rock. However, I didn't go on Beacon Rock, I just walked along the river. This is one of those photos where I think what could be bad conditions made the photo more interesting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I know all these majestic natural areas are nice, but sometimes I get a lot more enjoyment out of just going to local parks. The Portland area has a lot of small and midsize parks that are great places to meet and just watch people. I think that a lot of goons would enjoy this one:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

I'm in Arcata, California, and I took a hike in Arcata Community Forest yesterday. This is really just a local tract of land, and its pretty small, and doesn't have the towering redwoods of some of the nearby areas. But even with that, its hard to explain what these forests are like until you've been in them.

They also don't photograph well. Its hard to really capture the scale of the trees, and often its bad lighting (and sometimes with a brighter sky above, which makes the photo blurry). But here is an attempt at capturing the area.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Did I mention that I moved to Chile? Because I did, in April, and its been mostly a good time. Its about to hit winter solstice here, but at the 33rd parallel, that isn't too much of a problem.

It is a long way to anywhere that would be called nature. Chile has some wonderful wilderness, but I don't know how to get to it.

So last Friday, I took a bus to the eastern edge of Santiago, and then started walking Eastwards, climbing the foothills of the Andes, until I got to this viewpoint:

I hope to see more of Chile, and have better things to share! Soon enough!

• Locked thread