Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Thank you Picnic, you're making me want to quit my day job :).

Have you been to Mt Robson Provincial Park? I must make my way up there someday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Awesome!!! And I was worried it might be too far from Calgary on moose.

I have this fantasy of climbing Whitehorn. It looks a little easier than Robson, yet there's only one ascent I can find anywhere at all.

Btw, are you aware of this maniac? He is my hero :shobon:.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Ceros_X posted:

You take some bomb rear end pics, are you a professional photographer or just a very skilled enthusiast?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess she's competent with a camera and happens to live in an extremely beautiful place.

Hold on to your hats, something tells me she'll soon post some pictures of either Berg or Kinney Lake :D.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Well, that's some delicious photography :). I thought I was well versed reading about Robson; I'd never heard of the polished low angle waterfall.

I'm thinking of visiting the Canadian Rockies this Spring (12 hr drive, wife permits me to go, flexible job, no excuse), this helps :).

Those Yukon pictures are awesome too; you Candians (sp? I keep getting emails from Candian Pharmacy) rock!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

That bird looks tasty. Agreed on the fog, I'd only seen sunny pictures so far (and heard the weather is often hard).

For anyone who wants more magnificent Canadian rockies pictures, these are stellar:

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/canadian_rockies_2015

I've seen Trilobite fossils before, didn't realize there are places that are literally littered with them, amazing! Does much looting happen? Do people go to deep backcountry looking for them too?

Alright, I'll contribute finally. Mixed bag of PNW.

Heart cloud!!!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

You Canadians, wow. I'm dying of envy about the beautiful remoteness you live right next to/in and yet I can't smell even a hint of smug.

I love how raw your pictures are, Picnic. Not conventionally ideal weather, just as it is, and it is good. I think my favorite is solo winter camping on Barrier Lake. What to you do if it's ok to ask? Measuring glaciers is only a part of it?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Nice, very good to do something you really like :). Thanks for sharing as usual!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hi, I dunno if this thread wants yet another Canadian hiker posting (Vancouver area hikes)

yes, and bring your friends. Thanks for the great pictures :)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Wow!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Dayum, that's some of the best looking vertical ice I've seen. Bugaboos?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

BlueBlazer posted:

Got to the top of Mt Baker Monday, figured it was worth a couple of photos.

YEAH! Well done!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Fantabulous pictures, all, thank you :)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Picnic, your pictures and stories are a delight. Get well soon!

Trip report! Every single time I try to visit Mt Hood, this cursed volcano, there's agony. I usually chalk it up to learning with optimism, but on my way down I looked around and thought to myself: "I'm the unhappiest guy here".

To beat altitude sickness, I camped at just under 9000 ft. I had to melt a lot of snow. You know those alcohol burners I rave about? Well, I wasted a lot of fuel because I set it up hastily, not heating efficiently. Then, when I set it up better, I accidentally tipped it, spilling burning fuel and fresh melt. Then, the next morning, a gust blew it down, another spill.

Slept ok. Slightly cold; slightly worried about avalanches, nearby artillery fire and "considerable" avalanche hazard forecast didn't help.

The biggest disaster of course was the decision to continue. Getting to the summit was straightforward, uneventful, and beautiful. Getting down... I hastily shoved things into my backpack at camp, and by the time I was in the car I was more dehydrated then I've ever been. I couldn't eat much when I got home.

No regrets.

Poked waist deep into a baby crevasse going up, stopped by a rock. It was so obviously there when I got out, a sagging line + slight crack + suggestive coloring. This spot usually doesn't form crevasses, only when there's a lot of snow, when the snowfield above spills onto the canyon below. Lots of huge rear end cornices, the likes of which I've never seen before.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Thx guys :).

It got better! A few years ago I asked a local recreational pilot to fly me around the volcano for a photo project. I reached out to him via cold email because of how often he flies around the NW and the awesome pictures he takes.

There are always airplanes buzzing around Mt Hood on a good day (can be annoying), and I wondered if one of them just might be him. So I checked his stream a week later and saw familiar streaky clouds, familiar recent avalanches, and date matching my trip. I confirmed with him that his camera's clock is accurate, and (with my GPS tracks) was able to indentify which speck is meselfs :).

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Yep. Never seen it still covered this late, the bogshack so round, this few crevasses, or this many cornices. There will be hilariously many crevasses with that much snow/ice flowing pretty soon.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

If you have the money, some kind of mirrorless + two lenses would rock. Beware, the cheaper ones (like my Olympus micro 4/3) are ok, but don't have much an edge over the better compacts. On that note, if you want to save space or money, a high end compact camera would work well. Look for one with a big sensor, don't necessarily go for one that has a 100000x zoom.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Please rub it in more, thank you.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Okee dokee!

Some more shots and a time lapse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHbzMumWDc

why thank you. Love the description in the video too!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

South Sister and Green Lakes in July. By far my sketchiest mountain climb; this volcano is supposed to be easy but I made it exciting by DIYing my route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Almost forgot, on my way out I encountered a tree making a dookie. Do trees do this? Is it normal? I'm scared.

• Locked thread