Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Heading out to Red River Gorge tomorrow. So far my favorite has been Cloudsplitter, great view and a fun little scramble up it. Nothing like being out away from everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

It was a Nikon D7000. Which sadly rolled down a rocky slope one of the nights I was out, photographing the northern lights. It broke beyond repair. Case cracked, pins on the mirror inside broke, shutter seized, electronics shorted. My husband and I spent 5 hours taking it apart and learning about all the parts, which was actually super cool, and I ended up buying a D7100 as a replacement a few days after I got home.

I also have Photoshop for retouching and stitching panoramas, and I use three different lenses.

What lenses do you normally take? I've got a D7100 with an assortment of lenses but I am thinking about just taking my Fuji X100S for weight reasons. Backpacking the Dolly Sods wilderness for three days next week.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Picnic Princess posted:

Two kit lenses, the Nikkor 18-105mm and 70-300mm, plus a Rokinon 14mm f/2.4. I mostly use that last one for night photos. It's actually really good at it, considering it was $350

I had a similar Rokinon for my Fuji X series and it always amazed me. I see you too have the 70-300, fantastic lens. Guess I'll just factor in a little more weight for the trip. :)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

IronDoge posted:

These pictures are making me want to buy a fancy DSLR and lenses that I will have no idea how to use.

Get an entry level Nikon/Canon/whatever and just shoot with the kit lens for a long time.The reality is the technical know how is easy to learn, the most important part of the process is learning how to "see" the scene and translate that into a cool photo.

You can find a good entry level kit for very little money. Go back a 3/4 years in tech and get it for pennies on the dollar and still have a great setup.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

All the pics from my flickr are taken with a compact camera that fits in my pocket all the time (Sony RX100 mkI)

That sony is a beast, I just couldn't get used to it because of size but it has amazing IQ!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Levitate posted:

Just don't really have the money and time to dive into it :\ Can only do so much with the time and resources I have
You could probably grab a dirt cheap body and kit lens for probably around $150 that is still a good shooter.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Went backpacking again, had fun, took photos.

Roaring Plains Pano by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Loop Trail Vista by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Pipeline by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Last Leg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Clouds by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The Fuji XT-10 is still a great camera, and it is quite small. Go with that and the XF 18-55 lens and you have a winner for landscapes.

Edit: If you need even smaller there's micro four thirds and then smaller is the lovely Sony RX100.

• Locked thread