Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kepler Track, Fiordland, New Zealand:

Starts off easy:

There's a cave near the hut at the end of the first day:

The second day is pretty much several hours of this:

Also there were kea:

My battery ran out towards the end of the second day. :(

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You guys might enjoy viewing/posting in the Landscape Thread over in Dorkroom. That thread, along with Photo a Day and the Dorkroom in general are great resources if you want to get some good, honest constructive critique and improve your skills, or just want to browse awesome photos by some very talented goon photographers. Or if you don't care about peoples' silly opinions but just want to share your photos there's the Low Effort Terrible Photograph Dump

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 10, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I recently finished the Tongariro Northern Circuit, a four-day hike around Mt Ngauruhoe (aka Mt Doom in LotR) in Tongariro National Park, New Zealand. Tongariro National Park has dual world heritage status for its natural landscape and cultural significance to the native Maori people, and is home to three active volcanoes, the eponymous Mt Tongariro, the aforementioned Mt Ngauruhoe and also Mt Ruapehu.

First day was pretty standard New Zealand native forest and scrublands with views of Ngauruhoe and Tongariro:

Ngauruhoe

Tongariro

The second day overlaps with New Zealand's most popular day walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. The crossing climbs up to a small plateau between Mt Ngauruhoe and Mt Tongariro, with optional side trips to the summits of both mountains. On a clear day it offers incredible panoramic views of the surrounding volcanic lakes, craters and valleys, along with much of the central North Island. I did not get a clear day. Instead I got mist, drizzle and wind. The misty clouds had a silver lining though - for one thing there were far fewer day walkers on the track, which on a busy day sees over 2000 people walk it, and for another the mist, although it limited visibility to a couple of dozen meters for much of the day, made for some cool moody photos when I could keep my lens dry for long enough to take them:

Unfortunately the mist got into my camera and took it out of action for the third day. Fortunately it dried out by the fourth and is okay now but I missed out on what would have been at least two of the best shots of the trip. One of Mount Ngauruhoe lit up with pink pre-sunrise light, rising out of a heavy bank of fog, with cloud rolling down either side of the mountain and with the setting full moon hanging just off to the right of the mountain. The other of a glory around my shadow, which looked something like the second photo on the wikipedia page I linked. My phone was also out of action that morning for the same reason, but dried out in time to get these two of Nguaruhoe and Ruapehu respectively:

The fourth day was fairly similar to the first, and the lighting conditions weren't very good for landscape photography so I didn't take many pictures, although I did get a shot of one of the ubiquitous and noisy cicadas, and an obligatory shot of a lake from a side walk:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ceros_X posted:

What kind of phone do you have?

iphone 5. It probably would have worked for the sunrise pics on day 3 if I'd tried to turn it on but I was under the assumption that the battery was flat. It'd turned itself off when I tried to send a photo to a friend in the misty rain the day before and then came up with the flat battery screen when I tried to turn it back on. However I was able to turn it on later on day 3 and it still had about 33% battery.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do Americans usually take assault rifles with them on hikes?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

This thread makes me want to go hiking in Canada. One day when I'm not longer a student and it won't pretty much annihilate my savings account in one fell swoop.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

haha yeah I'd take one look at that and NOPE

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

That's not a sheep, that's some sort of demonic skull-faced death-dog from my worst nightmares :stonk:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

It was a Nikon D7000. Which sadly rolled down a rocky slope one of the nights I was out, photographing the northern lights. It broke beyond repair. Case cracked, pins on the mirror inside broke, shutter seized, electronics shorted. My husband and I spent 5 hours taking it apart and learning about all the parts, which was actually super cool, and I ended up buying a D7100 as a replacement a few days after I got home.

I also have Photoshop for retouching and stitching panoramas, and I use three different lenses.

Oh poo poo, my condolences. I'd hate to have something happen to my camera. At least it was an excuse to get an upgrade I guess. Was the lens you had on at the time okay?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I did Lake Waikaremoana in the north-east of New Zealand's North Island a couple of months ago and finally got around to uploading pics.

Lake Waikaremoana by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Couldn't follow the links as your flickr page is set to private, but the quality isn't that bad for phone pics. It's too bad you say you're not into learning photography, because they're actually pretty well-shot, especially the first two and the second tent pic

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Went for a day hike in the hills around where I live (Wellington NZ), saw cows. My digital camera broke and I had no money so I bought a cheap film cam and then I bought B&W film by mistake so I hope you guys like retro hipster photos

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 7, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I recently did the Milford Track in Fiordland National Park, New Zealand. It's a four day hike through temperate rainforest in the country's remote and mountainous south-western wilderness to the famous Milford Sound.

It begins with a boat ride across Lake Te Anau to the start of the hike.

The first two days are spent walking up a valley with sheer cliffs on either side and a lot of waterfalls like this one.

The track follows this river up the valley.

At the end of the valley, you climb up through the trees and wildflowers to Mackinnon Pass on the third day. After dropping my pack at the hut, I climbed up on the afternoon of the second day to get some pics, as rain was forecast for the third and fourth days.

Good thing I did, because I was rewarded with this view with good weather. It was much harder to enjoy in the rain and strong wind the following morning.

360 degree panorama from Mackinnon Pass. On the right is the valley we walked up for the first two days. On the left is the end of the valley and the source of the river. The track continues down into the valley in the centre and goes up the right hand side of the lone mountain in the middle and on to Milford Sound.

Rain on the third day made the track a little wet in some places.

The constant rain for the remainder of the hike made for lots more waterfalls on the last two days. It made it a lot harder to take photos though :(

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Milford Sound itself with good visibility. There are a poo poo-ton of photos on Google though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

On the way back I did find the fence though. It was just a lot of rusted barbed wire that was falling over in random spots that had no indication of foot traffic.

Trump's wall lookin good

• Locked thread