Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
okay. here are some pictures from the fall/winter in my neck of the woodes in northern canada. the picture quality is not great because i suck. well anyway

exploring around kathleen lake, in the YT

from a trail in kluane in the YT

A trail in kluane

taken a couple weeks ago; in the northern rockies near stone mountain prov. park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
some more random pictures from hiking/wandering around my territory

nice lake:

a trail that mostly meandered through spruce forest but it had a viewpoint with neat look at the valley

shot of an area inside kluane in fall

not good quality, but a view from a trail where u can see the are surrounding the small community of haines junction

just a shot from near town in whitehorse. shows the yukon river and miles canyon, as its called. theres lots of trails crisscrossing all over this area

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
driving the alaska highway on a nice day is awesome

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
so today I went out hikeing in the Northern Rockies in northern BC close to the Yukon border since the weather was great. Here's some pics:

starting out:

gradually climbing:

climbing higher:

some views downward. You can see the Alaska highway in the distance:

mountains and stuff:

Lots of rock:

Cool view:

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
It was a bit of a snowy day yesterday but I did get out hiking. didn't want to do anything with much elevation but did explore some of the boreal valley bottoms and such and it looked p.nice

i did check out this thing tho which i thought was neat. a big erosion pillar thing standing by itself on the hillside:

There were smaller ones kinda dotting the area as well. anyway, neat stuff

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i took another hike so here's some lovely pics

I did a hike that takes you to a nice alpine area where in the summer there would be flowers and stuff but at this time of year its still dead and w/e

It starts near a lake shore and heads up into boreal spruce forest so you don't get many views at first

then you come to road you follow for a bit that goes to a radio tower in the area

eventually you veer off the road and hike for some kms through a nice alpine area

as you get closer to where it ends this is the view

and this is where this one ends at a nice alpine lake that's still frozen over

it was a fun day out

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is so awesome, thank you for this! Are you a geologist by trade/education? I've learned a ton about all the trees and plants and ecology/biomes of the forests and mountains here, but the geology part I don't know much. So likely these boulders would have been pushed up from forming underground, then deposited by the glaciers like tens of thousands of years ago? That's fuckin badass.

I saw from your pics that you're in AB! Have you ever been to Vancouver? I'm completely in love with the mountains here. Between like 1880 and 1920 the forests were mostly logged or burned down, so you have these enormous old growth stumps everywhere surrounded by super thick/dense new growth (~100 year old) cedar and Douglas Fir that looks like this:

or this:

or this:

I'm so lucky to live here, forests are my favourite thing.

I like forests too, because I cut down trees for firewood in the fall.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
i'm going to eat that chipmunK

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
speaking of glacers, here's a pic i got of the salmon glacier near hyder, ak. crappy quality as i had to scan this one but you get the idea

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
went for a hike that following a creek bed for a long ways through the mountains. it was cool

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bP63QR3.jpg[/url][/img]

but whats really cool was there was lots of pools of pristine looking water along the way

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Also hiked today for canada day and decided to follow an old section of the original alaska highway to celebrate that northern canadian heritage (the alaska highway turns 75 next year as well)

you can still see the road but its now pretty overgrown

you can get to a cool viewpoint over the modern alaska highway from where I was though:

Some Dall sheep and their young were hanging out on nearby cliffs

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
tfw when the leaves are turning and it was still august

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
some random pics from camping around ealier in the year

St. Elias Lake. following an old mining trail in Kluane national park takes you to this nice spot. there's a rustic campsite there

cool little hike up to soldier's summit overtop the alaska highway. wind that day was blowing silt from slim's river all over kluane lake

you get good views of kathleen lake along the cottonwood trail but the weather was poo poo that day

I was fishing in Teslin Lake and thought the clouds here looked cool i guess

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I need to get my sorry rear end up there

u should. i live up here but believe it's well worth the trip for anyone who likes outdoors stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
:spooky::spoopy: frosty fog when i was walking my dog late yesterday afternoon just in time for halloween xD :spooky:

• Locked thread