Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sum
Nov 15, 2010

North face jackets: mostly worn by hot babes on long hikes..... across campus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Anything cotton anywhere other than a desert.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Wearing cotton socks in a wet environment? Now that's a fail

e: f,b

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
College bros taking single half liter of water up 14ers. Enjoy altitude sickness brah!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

climbing? yeah bro i got my timberland's

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My $10 Wal-Mart runners will be just fine for scrambling

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I once did an 8 mile hike in snow in sneakers and it was a terrible idea.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Don't eat 6 waffles and eggs and bacon 20 minutes before you hike.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hosed a bear in a windsuit

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everything Muerte did for his Hike Across America

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Ran into a bunch of teenagers who were wearing t-shirts and gym shorts while climbing Mount Mansfield - which is not the tallest of mountains, but the also only had a single bottle of poland springs water between them (there were 3 or 4 of them).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cotton t-shirts.

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008
Ice cleats for anything within 30 mins of Denver.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Every dumbass who wears synthetic or cotton to a mud run or spartan race.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone who needs anything more than street clothes for a hike less than 15 miles is a loving pussy

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Drunkboxer posted:

Anyone who needs anything more than street clothes for a hike less than 15 miles is a loving pussy

Enjoy your ball chafe

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
i did a 12 mile daytrip with a light backpack. got a kick out of a group of four doing the same loop the opposite way, with giant packs red faced and huffing wind 2 miles from the parking lot. Chit chatted with em, learned they were not staying overnight.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Someone post the gear that the "walk across America" dude from E/N planned on using

E: found it

memy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 20, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The cart made it like a mile before it broke and he abandoned it on the trail

e: link (requires archives)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Willfrey posted:

i did a 12 mile daytrip with a light backpack. got a kick out of a group of four doing the same loop the opposite way, with giant packs red faced and huffing wind 2 miles from the parking lot. Chit chatted with em, learned they were not staying overnight.

I've done that when training for longer hikes. Helps get your body ready for carrying weight while hiking

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i like to wear cotton tees to outdoor activities to troll people and because they are cheap and comfortable and as long as its not too cold, not dangerous

enjoy paying $30 for bloody nipples lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The XBOX One has the wrong kind of RAM.

Edit: Wrong forum

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Lol if you bring a xbox to hike. PS4 or GTFO

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol at people who hike with expensive next gen console, I like to hike with my old NES just to troll people because new consoles can't match the artistry of classic games

enjoy paying $400 for the wrong kind of RAM lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whenever i'm out camping there's always some weird fucker from europe who's toting a Virtual Boy, like, where did he even get that

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

going hiking just wearing some rubbers and a little woolen knit coat for ur dick, sounds like you're a loser, not a weiner!

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Drunkboxer posted:

Agreed, and anyone who gives anything but kudos to someone who's out hiking is loving retarded.

Every time I go out anywhere I see a group of friends dressed in immaculate probably never before used synthetic garb with trekking poles and other useless crap standing around talking about their hiking apps on their phones, in almost same place doing the same thing after I've reached the end and turned back. Is this the right thread to make fun of them?

ok I admit it I hate them mainly because I don't have friends. they're still stupid though

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

meselfs posted:

Agreed, and anyone who gives anything but kudos to someone who's out hiking is loving retarded.

Every time I go out anywhere I see a group of friends dressed in immaculate probably never before used synthetic garb with trekking poles and other useless crap standing around talking about their hiking apps on their phones, in almost same place doing the same thing after I've reached the end and turned back. Is this the right thread to make fun of them?

ok I admit it I hate them mainly because I don't have friends. they're still stupid though

no these people are in abundance in the PNW i hate them too but i can't explain why

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

meselfs posted:

Usually I'd agree with this sentiment but once I saw two dudes setting out for a hike in vibram five fingers and the extreme mix of anger and smug superiority I felt caused me to have a seizure.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Not the most exciting hike, but when I went up mount fuji I did it in jeans and a sweatshirt, the warmest clothes I had after being in hot places for the last few months, compared to all the Japanese who were up there in their full climbing suits with oxygen tanks and ice axes. There was hardly even any snow!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

Usually I'd agree with this sentiment but once I saw two dudes setting out for a hike in vibram five fingers and the extreme mix of anger and smug superiority I felt caused me to have a seizure.

There may be no wrong way to hike, but there are lots of wrong ways to equip one's self.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
i once saw a guy with a 135l rucksack. whats he building in there???

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you aren't hiking up the mountain after dark to ski down clothed in nothing but your tightie whities, backpak, and boots, you don't deserve to spring ski. :colbert:

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Moon Atari posted:

Shoot, I forgot about those atrocities, thx for the correction.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Picnic Princess posted:

Enjoy your ball chafe

Word.

Also, they're called sissy sticks for a reason.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In Peru I wore normal shoes but all the locals on the trail were wearing sandals made of recycled tires and they were all way faster than me :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wow... Where to begin...

Max Deet - uhh you know that Deet is a scam right? Why don't you carry this bottle next to the little furnace, lamp and batteries so you blow yourself up in the middle of no where from the flammability. Amateur hour and it's the first drat thing.

Aqua-Tainer. Nice, nothing like blue plastic to help the sun turn the molecules of your water into basically poison that makes your balls shrink.

Head Net - this makes you look like kermit the frog you idiot. Just buy a loving hat... Gods sake.

Okay... You really think Mace is going to stop a bear. Let me guess, your going to unpackage the mace and have the werewithal to spray the bear in the eyes in the oh by the way bears run about twice as fast as humans when their hungry. loving moron... All you'll do is get your head knocked clean off by massive brutal bear paws.

Oh goody, a seemingly empty package that says "Stuff" on it. I definitely want "Stuff" with me when I'm planning to hike across a country. Are you serious right now?

Field and Stream bag - wow nice tiny loving bright red bag so the bears, wolves and wild bison can see you a mile off. But wait, there's more - this loving idiot forgot to put all his stupid trash in the bag.

Bath wipes - what are you a baby.

Umbrella - *funny gif of a man who tried to get the mace out of his tiny red bag but oops he grabbed the umbrella and opened it and managed to stun the bear for a few seconds from sheer stupidity and confusion. Oh wait, this gif isn't funny, because this 'man' is our illustrious hero who just got his rear end destroyed by a God drat california brown bear*

Good thing you brought the soap though.

quote:

Ummm, this isn't a walk for your baby or your little poodle. Are you carrying this thing on your bike. Well what the gently caress where's the bike. Never heard of a backpack? You horse's rear end.

quote:

Definitely going to need a Grove Street colored bandana for the woods. Are you for real man... And you DO have a backpack. Well why the gently caress do you have a bike trailer for a baby then. Oh and look, it's a hat. Redundancy much. Bet your mom is really proud you have extra socks and no extra underwear. Oh wait what's that sound, it's her rolling around in her grave. Are those those gimmick water shoes. Are you going to a freaking swimming pool, or a cross country hike you embarrassing gently caress head! God drat... Nice green bag for a large salami from the deli. Must be one of those assholes with a murder fantasy so he buys a gun, except you bought Bear Spray and a big rear end salami in a thin green bag. Perfect. Your hiking gear has now been severely flamed, courtesy of Wormskull.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Wow... Where to begin...

Max Deet - uhh you know that Deet is a scam right? Why don't you carry this bottle next to the little furnace, lamp and batteries so you blow yourself up in the middle of no where from the flammability. Amateur hour and it's the first drat thing.

Aqua-Tainer. Nice, nothing like blue plastic to help the sun turn the molecules of your water into basically poison that makes your balls shrink.

Head Net - this makes you look like kermit the frog you idiot. Just buy a loving hat... Gods sake.

Okay... You really think Mace is going to stop a bear. Let me guess, your going to unpackage the mace and have the werewithal to spray the bear in the eyes in the oh by the way bears run about twice as fast as humans when their hungry. loving moron... All you'll do is get your head knocked clean off by massive brutal bear paws.

Oh goody, a seemingly empty package that says "Stuff" on it. I definitely want "Stuff" with me when I'm planning to hike across a country. Are you serious right now?

Field and Stream bag - wow nice tiny loving bright red bag so the bears, wolves and wild bison can see you a mile off. But wait, there's more - this loving idiot forgot to put all his stupid trash in the bag.

Bath wipes - what are you a baby.

Umbrella - *funny gif of a man who tried to get the mace out of his tiny red bag but oops he grabbed the umbrella and opened it and managed to stun the bear for a few seconds from sheer stupidity and confusion. Oh wait, this gif isn't funny, because this 'man' is our illustrious hero who just got his rear end destroyed by a God drat california brown bear*

Good thing you brought the soap though.

Ummm, this isn't a walk for your baby or your little poodle. Are you carrying this thing on your bike. Well what the gently caress where's the bike. Never heard of a backpack? You horse's rear end.

Definitely going to need a Grove Street colored bandana for the woods. Are you for real man... And you DO have a backpack. Well why the gently caress do you have a bike trailer for a baby then. Oh and look, it's a hat. Redundancy much. Bet your mom is really proud you have extra socks and no extra underwear. Oh wait what's that sound, it's her rolling around in her grave. Are those those gimmick water shoes. Are you going to a freaking swimming pool, or a cross country hike you embarrassing gently caress head! God drat... Nice green bag for a large salami from the deli. Must be one of those assholes with a murder fantasy so he buys a gun, except you bought Bear Spray and a big rear end salami in a thin green bag. Perfect. Your hiking gear has now been severely flamed, courtesy of Wormskull.

Lmfao.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dude started hiking in pt. Reyes nat sea shore, complained how hard the hills were, made it 20 miles in like 4 days and then quit

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

Dude started hiking in pt. Reyes nat sea shore, complained how hard the hills were, made it 20 miles in like 4 days and then quit

Perhaps if he ate more than a handful of raisins he would have made it at least a few miles farther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lol yeah wasn't he all like "I can't cook and don't like food but these raisins will be ok for my 3000 mile trek"

• Locked thread