Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think he was planning on eating at Denny's all the time, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Levitate posted:

lol at people who hike with expensive next gen console, I like to hike with my old NES just to troll people because new consoles can't match the artistry of classic games

enjoy paying $400 for the wrong kind of RAM lol

i know right, loving lol at these scrubs

i saw a really old dude rucking in an oscilliscope he'd hardwired to play missile command. you do this long enough you see some real legends

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Once hiked a 14er in tennis shoes, come at me

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lotka Volterra posted:

Once hiked a 14er in tennis shoes, come at me

Whenever I see pics of 14ers they always just look like really really big hills.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Picnic Princess posted:

Whenever I see pics of 14ers they always just look like really really big hills.

if you're acclimatized, that's usually all they are

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Because most people only hike the class 1/2s that are close to Denver and eschew the cool climbs in the rest of the state. Except for Longs; Jesus. I will never do Longs again because there are too many goddamned people in class 3 terrain that shouldn't loving be there.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Wow... Where to begin...

Max Deet - uhh you know that Deet is a scam right? Why don't you carry this bottle next to the little furnace, lamp and batteries so you blow yourself up in the middle of no where from the flammability. Amateur hour and it's the first drat thing.

Aqua-Tainer. Nice, nothing like blue plastic to help the sun turn the molecules of your water into basically poison that makes your balls shrink.

Head Net - this makes you look like kermit the frog you idiot. Just buy a loving hat... Gods sake.

Okay... You really think Mace is going to stop a bear. Let me guess, your going to unpackage the mace and have the werewithal to spray the bear in the eyes in the oh by the way bears run about twice as fast as humans when their hungry. loving moron... All you'll do is get your head knocked clean off by massive brutal bear paws.

Oh goody, a seemingly empty package that says "Stuff" on it. I definitely want "Stuff" with me when I'm planning to hike across a country. Are you serious right now?

Field and Stream bag - wow nice tiny loving bright red bag so the bears, wolves and wild bison can see you a mile off. But wait, there's more - this loving idiot forgot to put all his stupid trash in the bag.

Bath wipes - what are you a baby.

Umbrella - *funny gif of a man who tried to get the mace out of his tiny red bag but oops he grabbed the umbrella and opened it and managed to stun the bear for a few seconds from sheer stupidity and confusion. Oh wait, this gif isn't funny, because this 'man' is our illustrious hero who just got his rear end destroyed by a God drat california brown bear*

Good thing you brought the soap though.

Ummm, this isn't a walk for your baby or your little poodle. Are you carrying this thing on your bike. Well what the gently caress where's the bike. Never heard of a backpack? You horse's rear end.

Definitely going to need a Grove Street colored bandana for the woods. Are you for real man... And you DO have a backpack. Well why the gently caress do you have a bike trailer for a baby then. Oh and look, it's a hat. Redundancy much. Bet your mom is really proud you have extra socks and no extra underwear. Oh wait what's that sound, it's her rolling around in her grave. Are those those gimmick water shoes. Are you going to a freaking swimming pool, or a cross country hike you embarrassing gently caress head! God drat... Nice green bag for a large salami from the deli. Must be one of those assholes with a murder fantasy so he buys a gun, except you bought Bear Spray and a big rear end salami in a thin green bag. Perfect. Your hiking gear has now been severely flamed, courtesy of Wormskull.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I know it's not hiking, but it loving infuriates me when I see assholes on stand up paddle boards without a pfd or lifejacket. Mutherfucker, nobody wants your bloated corpse washing up on the beach.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's cool bro, they got a tether

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Slim Pickens posted:

It's cool bro, they got a tether

At least the board will be returned to the beach with their body after they fall off and hit their head on a rock and drown. Those things are pricey.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This forum moves too slow. We gotta pick up the pace or I'm going to have to stop and put on a layer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Epitope posted:

This forum moves too slow. We gotta pick up the pace or I'm going to have to stop and put on a layer

Lol. Now this is the good poo poo

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Epitope posted:

If people would quit stopping we'd make better time. Stop being a baby and loving hike. SMH

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

B33rChiller posted:

I know it's not hiking, but it loving infuriates me when I see assholes on stand up paddle boards without a pfd or lifejacket. Mutherfucker, nobody wants your bloated corpse washing up on the beach.

Or for that matter, paddle boards.

Let's just take kayaking and surfing, mash them together, and make a much more lame sport where I can look like a dorky gondola Jesus.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to fight Ray Jardine some day. He started a terrible umbrella trend and chiseled holds across the nose of Half Dome.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Save me jeebus posted:

Because most people only hike the class 1/2s that are close to Denver and eschew the cool climbs in the rest of the state. Except for Longs; Jesus. I will never do Longs again because there are too many goddamned people in class 3 terrain that shouldn't loving be there.

yeah, though hiking class 2s can be fun with some nice scrambling

stuff like elbert, though, yeah. glorified walks up a really big hill

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If you aren't carrying at least 50 lbs and 100L you're a wimp

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you aren't carrying less than 25lb you're basically car camping

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
People have hiked the AT in crocs. Unless you're hiking in extreme conditions or ignoring the 10 essentials completely there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. If it feels good out I'll go on weekend trips in cotton and wearing sneakers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I didn't think hiking was such a heavily regulated sport.
Different classes for terrain / trails?
10 essentials?
I've never heard of any of this. I was under the impression that hiking was simply walking in the woods. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people take it super serious and sperg out about every aspect.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

I didn't think hiking was such a heavily regulated sport.
Different classes for terrain / trails?
10 essentials?
I've never heard of any of this. I was under the impression that hiking was simply walking in the woods. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people take it super serious and sperg out about every aspect.

The 10 essentials isn't something extreme or super serious, it's just basic safety. Carry water, food, shelter, etc. If I'm going to unfamiliar territory or planning on doing anything more than a planned <8 hour hike in familiar territory I'm carrying the full 10. It's stupid not to.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you aren't carrying less than 25lb you're basically car camping

Carrying less than 25 is like hiring a helicopter to drop you off at the top, it doesn't count

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I own a pair of Crocs for day hikes .

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I use comfy trail runners.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Ten Essentials
1. Knife
2. Firestarter
3. Matches
4. Map
5. Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
6. Headlamp (or flashlight)
7. Sunglasses and sunscreen
8. First-aid supplies
9. Extra clothing
10. Extra food

"The ten essentials" for going outside? What is this poo poo. How about 1: "being a human animal." Done. You nerdy motherfucker.

1 knife- oh, right. you think this is motherfucking hatchet. you're gonna build a house out of sticks and farm some radishes cuz you remembered your trusty pocket knife. give me a break.

2 firestarter- what like gasoline? bitch you gonna burn down the woods. get out of here with that poo poo.

3 matches- oh you better believe fire is essential. you some kinda badass though, why don't you just rub some sticks together

4 map- what, you trying to find your way to the mall? through the woods? how about you just watch where you going

5 compass- what are we, christopher god damned columbus? gonna discover new lands? your rear end is trying to get lost, ain't ya.

6 headlamp- "hey, look at me, i can see how much of a goober i am in the dark"

7 sunglasses and sunscreen- oh poo poo there's sun out there! how about a parasol too you nancy

8 first-aid supplies- don't forget the duct tape and grocery bags for a sucking chest wound, case you run into the injuns :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9 extra clothing- hold on, you gonna change your outfit while you're out hiking? oh, i get it, you gotta find the perfect look for your new profile pic. go gently caress yourself.

10 extra food- mmm powerbars, hell ya lets pay two dollars for a dog turd.

i got a theory, this list was made up by elitist A holes that want to keep the woods for themselves. supprise motha fucka! i didn't even pick up the poo poo i just took back there! owned bitch!!!@!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Epitope posted:

"The ten essentials" for going outside? What is this poo poo. How about 1: "being a human animal." Done. You nerdy motherfucker.

1 knife- oh, right. you think this is motherfucking hatchet. you're gonna build a house out of sticks and farm some radishes cuz you remembered your trusty pocket knife. give me a break.

2 firestarter- what like gasoline? bitch you gonna burn down the woods. get out of here with that poo poo.

3 matches- oh you better believe fire is essential. you some kinda badass though, why don't you just rub some sticks together

4 map- what, you trying to find your way to the mall? through the woods? how about you just watch where you going

5 compass- what are we, christopher god damned columbus? gonna discover new lands? your rear end is trying to get lost, ain't ya.

7 sunglasses and sunscreen- oh poo poo there's sun out there! how about a parasol too you nancy

8 first-aid supplies- don't forget the duct tape and grocery bags for a sucking chest wound, case you run into the injuns :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9 extra clothing- hold on, you gonna change your outfit while you're out hiking? oh, i get it, you gotta find the perfect look for your new profile pic. go gently caress yourself.

i got a theory, this list was made up by elitist A holes that want to keep the woods for themselves. supprise motha fucka! i didn't even pick up the poo poo i just took back there! owned bitch!!!@!!

GBS.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Epitope please don't die, it makes everyone look bad.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Free Market Mambo posted:

Epitope please don't die, it makes everyone look bad.

When I was a bit younger I resented more experienced people chiding me for not being prepared enough. Like, what, only the uber elite are allowed to die on epic K2 adventures? I think I mostly made it through that phase, and now appreciate that depositing my corpse in a park would be pretty lovely.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yarville posted:

The 10 essentials isn't something extreme or super serious, it's just basic safety. Carry water, food, shelter, etc. If I'm going to unfamiliar territory or planning on doing anything more than a planned <8 hour hike in familiar territory I'm carrying the full 10. It's stupid not to.

I agree, and the whole list is pretty much common sense. I'd just never heard any kind of codified name for "basic supplies in case something unexpected happens". Well, I suppose that might be called "basic survival kit". I'm surprised water, or at least some form of water treatment, didn't make the list. I mean, you can survive a few days lost in the wilderness without extra food. Good luck without water.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wormskull is funny when he does a takedown like that, and get this: You aren't\.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

B33rChiller posted:

I agree, and the whole list is pretty much common sense. I'd just never heard any kind of codified name for "basic supplies in case something unexpected happens". Well, I suppose that might be called "basic survival kit". I'm surprised water, or at least some form of water treatment, didn't make the list. I mean, you can survive a few days lost in the wilderness without extra food. Good luck without water.

Honestly, I've found my iodine tabs to be much more helpful on long hikes/overnights than anything else.

But yeah, water itself is self-explanatory

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Epitope posted:

:hellyeah::hf::owned:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I saw a guy in vibram five fingers go up and down Mt Fuji, he looked like he wasn't having a great time (because his feet were getting slashed to ribbons from the volcanic rock)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Prop Wash posted:

I saw a guy in vibram five fingers go up and down Mt Fuji, he looked like he wasn't having a great time (because his feet were getting slashed to ribbons from the volcanic rock)

I don't know what would possess someone to wear those while hiking. I guess they just really like destroying their feet and/or knees?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i like hiking in rubber boots. makes my feet sweaty tho :gerty:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people who wear shoes like Vibrams, forget that shoes are supposed to protect your feet, and comfort is like, a secondary thing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Larry Parrish posted:

I think people who wear shoes like Vibrams, forget that shoes are supposed to protect your feet, and comfort is like, a secondary thing.

it doesnt even make sense from a comfort standpoint, though, because vibrams aren't comfortable. People wear them for the "health benefits" while running, which makes no sense if you're hiking which is specifically not a long-distance running sport

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Vibram people think "barefoot=natural, and hiking=nature, so I clearly must wear my natural barefoot running shoes to scramble up lava rock."

Pretty sure first early man who tried to climb that poo poo gave up and waited a few centuries until shoes got better. He probably would have taken modern hiking boots, too.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Otzi would eat these people and discard their ridiculous shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to hunt deer with a birch bow and a copper spear to be honest.

• Locked thread