Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They also died by the boatloads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A lot of those goats are ridiculously poorly packed. It's almost cruel. At least try to make it comfortable for them goddamn

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Vahakyla posted:

They are also delicious.

I'm not sure if you mean the workers, or the goats but :colbert:

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

They also died by the boatloads.

but they were MEN, dammit :bahgawd:

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

black children posted:

back in the day, firefighting crews used to have pack mules to carry their extra poo poo. i think that's a great idea. they also used to have camp cooks too :mad:

Pack animals are horrible. I don't wanna hike through animal poo poo but noooooo Jim and Susie thought they needed a new pair of underwear and clean shirt for every day of their three day backpacking trip at 8000 feet (:ohdear:) so they hired some pack mules from We poo poo Everywhere Inc. to lay a 10 mile track of poo poo. Thanks!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

I Am Not Spor posted:

Pack animals are horrible. I don't wanna hike through animal poo poo but noooooo Jim and Susie thought they needed a new pair of underwear and clean shirt for every day of their three day backpacking trip at 8000 feet (:ohdear:) so they hired some pack mules from We poo poo Everywhere Inc. to lay a 10 mile track of poo poo. Thanks!

I was on the fence for if the goats enjoy it or look punished and enslaved by man and this post sold me,
if you truly love goats set them free and stop being a hoarder with weak legs and weak cardio, haul your own poo poo this aint the oregon trail

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Picnic Princess posted:

A lot of those goats are ridiculously poorly packed. It's almost cruel. At least try to make it comfortable for them goddamn

it wouldnt be the internet if someone wasnt hurfing about how the animals in the pictures are being mistreated

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I would legit be embarrassed to even be seen with that kind of lovely packing job. How lazy can you possibly be.

Also animals are objectively better than people so I would rather go hiking with a goat than some weirdo person. Least I could do is pack like a not-idiot.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

used to hike in jeans and a cotton T-shirt back in the day when I knew nothing (and was poor)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I live next to some goats who like to escape and destroy gardens and I assure you those little fucks do not just follow right behind you. Unless you were dropping food behind you.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Epitope posted:

You ultra lite chumps can make believe you're Ueli Steck. I much prefer to role play as a Klondike prospector

I like ultralight (so that I can make more room for cowboy stuff :toughguy:), but seriously about the Klondike prospectors. This expedition (not prospecting, but still) is particularly impressive to me:

http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/12193010600/print

Can't help but wonder if that's Picnic's great grandmother.

Picnic Princess posted:

I would legit be embarrassed to even be seen with that kind of lovely packing job. How lazy can you possibly be.

Also animals are objectively better than people so I would rather go hiking with a goat than some weirdo person. Least I could do is pack like a not-idiot.

Any goat? I've known some very nice and very horrible goats. Like dogs or horses or people, they have a broad range of personalities.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Can't help but wonder if that's Picnic's great grandmother.

No one else in my family has ever been outdoorsy at all. I'm a lone wolf.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I went hiking over the weekend with three friends. I told them to bring rain gear even though it was sunny. They got here and we headed out and had a leisurely 7 mile hike in to a nice camping spot. Beautiful weather for the PNW. Anyway, we camp out and of course in the morning there's the patter of heavy rain. Turns out neither of them packed even a waterproof outer shell of a rain poncho. The lady brought hers down but left it on a chair in my house and her boy scoffed and said that he was Canadian and such weather is warm and comfortable compared to where he was raised and he'd be fine.

I felt bad for not packing a couple of cheap plastic rain ponchos! We fashioned one out of a big black garbage bag but they decided to tough it out given it was a pretty short distance to the trailhead. My friend and I who actually brought rain gear, we were dry and warm. Luckily the rain slowed a bit for the hike but really opened up by the last 30 minutes or so. The Canadian was shivering but continued to refuse and help though we gave them hand warmers.

Please pack something to keep rain off you! You can end up with hypothermia even with temps in the 60s of you are soaked. Everything was fine but if it was longer distance it could have been real unpleasant.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I'm reminded of the woman who went missing in the Gorge in December - still missing. Short unprepared hikes can be disastrous, and according to Freedom of the Hills drizzle kills more people than -30°C wind.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

joke_explainer posted:

The Canadian was shivering but continued to refuse and help

Motherfucker, put on the drat poncho, I swear to god... You're not bloody John Muir, and if you were you'd be nestling into some pine needles right now, not marching back to your Subaru

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
In an effort to not be featured in this thread in a few months, can y'all give me an idea of the type of clothing/gear I'll need for beginner-level backpacking in northern Montana in late July? Or things I should definitely avoid?

I just booked for a 3-day small group guided backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. It's billed as an introduction to backpacking; they'll provide a pack, tent, and sleeping bag. I only have recent experience with day hiking in Tennessee, and haven't been camping in probably 15 years.

My current gears consists of basic Merrell hiking shoes and a rain jacket. Should I upgrade to boots? What sort of pants should I have? I'm bald, so a hat is necessary - would a whirly bird hat provide comfort and lift?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
The lady got me a new compass, but it doesnt having a sighting hole :sterv:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Flambeau posted:

In an effort to not be featured in this thread in a few months, can y'all give me an idea of the type of clothing/gear I'll need for beginner-level backpacking in northern Montana in late July? Or things I should definitely avoid?

I just booked for a 3-day small group guided backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. It's billed as an introduction to backpacking; they'll provide a pack, tent, and sleeping bag. I only have recent experience with day hiking in Tennessee, and haven't been camping in probably 15 years.

My current gears consists of basic Merrell hiking shoes and a rain jacket. Should I upgrade to boots? What sort of pants should I have? I'm bald, so a hat is necessary - would a whirly bird hat provide comfort and lift?

greetings goon. merrels are good but they're not a great replacement for true boots. i would go ahead and buy a nice pair. they last forever and you will thank yourself for splurging. maybe youll even be encouraged to go outside more once youve spent the money on them. to me, this is probably your most important purchase for QoL

as for a hat, i dont think you should go crazy for a three day hike. i would probably just bring a baseball cap that's comfortable and breathes well

for pants i would probably pack cargo khakis and shorts, one pair of each

youll also need to buy some water containers, like a bladder for your backpack and a nalgene

bring several pairs of long socks, and a couple wool pairs for night. youll want to be able to change into fresh socks as much as you desire

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
eh, boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners can be a personal thing. I liked hiking in boots for a long time but switched to trail runners and wouldn't go back at this point. It does depend a bit on where you hike (I might lean back towards boots with some water proofing if I was hiking in wet areas a lot). Boots are usually heavier and stiffer and can help your ankles a bit in terms of support, but on the flip side they can also cause you to roll your ankles a bit more because their soles are thicker and raise you up off the ground a bit more. Trail runners are light and comfortable as hell but if you are carrying heavy weight I wouldn't use them, a boot or something thicker would be better.

Footwear really is kind of personal. If you really like your hiking shoes I'm sure they'd be absolutely fine, especially if you're not carrying a lot of weight. Boots aren't necessary to enjoy backpacking, but some people like them better (and it can be kind of fun to be able to stomp around over everything if need be). I'm not sure anyone can definitively tell you what would be best for you and your feet.

Lots of people like the "tilly hat" style for hiking/backpacking since it provides some coverage for your ears and neck. I wouldn't pay for a name brand tilly hat, but most outdoors places sell hats with a brim that goes all the way around (I just use a baseball/trucker hat for vanity reasons).

I'd go with convertible hiking pants (you can zip off the legs at the thighs to make shorts) rather than shorts and pants so you're not carrying as much, but the argument against that would probably be if you get one wet or something you can switch to the other if you're carrying both.

Get a nice, lightweight synthetic shirt, I'd recommend long sleeves that you can roll up but I've been on a cover up as much skin as I can so I don't have to put sunscreen on it kick.

Pack long underwear bottoms and tops for sleeping in and if it gets cold. I'll also switch into them after hiking all day so I can dry out or wash out my hiking clothes. Depends on how you feel about walking around in front of people in long underwear if you're in a group.

I usually just carry two pairs of hiking socks and wash one pair out after hiking and then set them out to dry while switching to the others and wearing them at night, but it sometimes takes awhile to dry. You don't really need the biggest thickest hiking socks or anything but again, it's a somewhat personal thing...do you like using a liner sock to prevent blisters? Do you like the extra thick cushioning? etc.

Are they also providing food and cooking supplies (including eating utensils) and water treatment?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Flambeau posted:

My two cents on the footwear thing would be this: you're only as comfortable as your feet are. If you have hiking shoes that you like, stick with them. If you're going to swap to boots, do it soon and break them in. Don't wear something you're not comfortable with and don't be dumb and try something new a week before your trip. This goes with socks/liners, too.

I bought a pair of Zamberlans thinking that I "had to" upgrade to boots if I was going to backpack. They're nice, but I barely ever wear them -- only when I know I'm going to be walking through standing water (they're awesomely waterproof) -- as I prefer the comfort of my everyday walkers: Merrill or Keen.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I've often doubled a thick pair of hiking boots as my work boots. Multi purpose to justify the expense. I would look at elevation/weather/distance and consider your footwear choice. Sounds like a guided beginners trip will keep that in mind and you wont be too tortured by non-boot wearing but you never know.

Also never piss off the rain-gods and forget your rain gear especially in the PNW. If you cursed my hike by not bringing your poncho I would personally throw you in a river, as you wish to enjoy the water so much.

sound advise.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Had a guy show up for a an overnight trip in October, in the Cascades in a jean jacket and shorts.

Why yes, it did rain.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Flambeau posted:

Handy weather records reference:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/weather.htm

You will probably be dealing with temps at most high as 80 and at most low as 40. Chances are you will encounter some precipitation. I would wear a moisture-wicking base-layer t-shirt / shorts, a fleece for late evenings / early mornings, probably wear convertible pants... I would bring a sleeping pad if they aren't supplying one, but I'm spoiled and its just 3 days so carrying extra weight isn't going to matter that much. Any wool hiking socks are probably fine... Sierra trading post often has great deals and savings on smartwool if you want those. Just avoid cotton. Don't wear a cotton t-shirt. If you have a back sweat problem with a pack on cotton will just turn your back into a swampy bog. It's kind of bougie but I love the patagonia capilene silkweight stuff, still cheaper than merino wool for a base layer. You will probably want long underwear for sleeping in and you can always roll the stuff up if it's 80 in the daytime.

Even with them planning out your trip, you never know what might get left out, or poorly distributed, or you could get lost, or whatever. I would always pack a map of the area you are hiking in a dry bag, a compass, a couple big garbage bags, sunscreen, lip balm, insect repellant, sunglasses or cover sunglasses, a headlamp or flashlight, extra batteries for the headlamp, a minimal first-aid kit (lots of resources on line on how to put a first aid kit together), a lighter, a few rolled up bits of duct tape, a couple good water bottles, I would bring a water filter (Sawyer mini is cool) but if they are sure they're covering it just a couple of water treatment pills or something for emergencies, a tarp, an emergency blanket, an emergency rain poncho, and a multi-tool, fifty feet of paracord, and IDK, 3 days so pack at least 3 pro bars or something, just something to survive on if you get lost. Your personal preference on snacks or whatever. You can shove all the non-food stuff in a ditty bag and compact it down or whatever and shove it to the bottom of your pack and more or less totally ignore it if everything goes smoothly. I don't know everyone will probably say that stuff is overkill but as long as you aren't super heavy in that stuff and it's hampering your ability to hike, you should be fine. You probably will notice there aren't a lot of stories here about assholes that are over-prepared.

Don't put DEET on your face. Or at least not around your eyes or lips. I think the merrels will be fine if you're carrying under 30 lbs or so. I would always wear boots for anything heavier (though I wear boots all the time anyway...)

Oh and they will probably want to put food up in a tree or something if there's any wildlife concern, don't leave food or anything smelling in your pack if there are wildlife concerns... Racoons are a mother fucker and will destroy everything.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 30, 2016

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Excellent, thanks for the thorough replies y'all. This is a tremendous help to my planning, and I sure don't want to spoil the trip with poor preparation!

Levitate posted:

Are they also providing food and cooking supplies (including eating utensils) and water treatment?

Yes, they say treated water - but not containers - is provided, and the guide will prepare meals. Each hiker will carry ~5lbs of communal food and also receives a bag of snacks. No mention of utensils, I'll put that on the list of things to call and ask them about.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Zip off legs on hiking pants are the greatest thing ever. I use them as work pants too since our uniform can be either or so if the day starts out warm but then snows I'll always be prepared. They're one of my favourite things ever.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Zip off legs on hiking pants are the greatest thing ever. I use them as work pants too since our uniform can be either or so if the day starts out warm but then snows I'll always be prepared. They're one of my favourite things ever.

Source your quotes

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Oh! 3 days. Bring hand sanitizer. And a spade. And they'll explain the particulars.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Source your quotes

Not a work pic, hopefully it's sufficient

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Levitate posted:

eh, boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners can be a personal thing. I liked hiking in boots for a long time but switched to trail runners and wouldn't go back at this point. It does depend a bit on where you hike (I might lean back towards boots with some water proofing if I was hiking in wet areas a lot). Boots are usually heavier and stiffer and can help your ankles a bit in terms of support, but on the flip side they can also cause you to roll your ankles a bit more because their soles are thicker and raise you up off the ground a bit more. Trail runners are light and comfortable as hell but if you are carrying heavy weight I wouldn't use them, a boot or something thicker would be better.

Footwear really is kind of personal. If you really like your hiking shoes I'm sure they'd be absolutely fine, especially if you're not carrying a lot of weight. Boots aren't necessary to enjoy backpacking, but some people like them better (and it can be kind of fun to be able to stomp around over everything if need be). I'm not sure anyone can definitively tell you what would be best for you and your feet.

This is a really good point I think, and a good rebuttal to my post. I am a huge fan of my boots, and I've definitely gotten value out of the purchase from years of use. I put them on even for little baby hikes just because they are so broken in, waterproof, and durable. My perspective on good boots is skewed, but I still maintain that they're a nice buy, especially if you take some time to break them in before your trip, like the guy posted below Levitate. That's very key to maximum enjoyment..

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh yeah, definitely break in any new equipment, even if it's just your shirt and shorts and socks, before an overnight trip. Put it all on and go for a hike, see how things feel and if there are problems that you can identify when on a day hike before they can become bigger problems on a multi day trip. A poorly placed seam that causes some discomfort would be good to know about before you find it chaffing a whole lot in the back country.

And seconding the sleeping pad, forgot about that. They're pretty important for keeping you warm as you lose a lot of heat through the ground when you compress the insulation of your sleeping bag. Plus they're more comfortable than the ground itself.

Picnic Princess posted:

Not a work pic, hopefully it's sufficient

chipmunk's gonna gently caress you up

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend some men's hiking shorts with just an incredibly short inseam, i'm talking like 6-7 inches.

I bought two pairs last year with a 9 inch inseam and I want to go even shorter this year, but not necessarily have my current ones hemmed up as they were expensive as balls and I want to test the bootie short waters first.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 30, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Have you tried the French Wedge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52XNZoU6sQ

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

joke_explainer posted:

Don't put DEET on your face. Or at least not around your eyes or lips.

Do not heed this warning.

Use deet everywhere at all times. The second you see a mosquito use a poo poo ton of deet. Spray it all over yourself or bathe in it. And then after you've done that spray it all over your clothes and in 15 minutes do it again and keep doing it. On night 2 wonder how the hell you got bit. On night 3 rummage through everything and get pissed at your friends for not bringing more deet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Spray all your cloths with Permethrin a couple of days before you go.

Don't spray DEET on nylon poo poo, it's bad for it.

I'm pretty neutral on whether DEET is bad for you or whatever, I used it growing up and don't have too many problems as far as I can tell...Picaridin is supposed to be safer and still effective but I haven't had a lot of opportunity to test it.. Mosquitoes were mostly gone in the mountains by July last year around here

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

I love DEET, but if you get it on your lips it is really unpleasant to drink water. And yeah, use permethrin on fabrics a few days before you go camping.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Permethrin is extremely ownage. fuuck ticks

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Levitate posted:

Footwear is indeed personal, but personally I've come to like trail runners so much that I giggle a bit when I see heavy boots.

Is it sacrilegious to put crampons on trail runners, btw?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely do not spray DEET in your face, especially if it is a highly concentrated type. That poo poo will ruin your day and make anything it touches numb and painful. If you must apply it to your face, use your fingers. Just make sure you wash them well afterwards!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

meselfs posted:

Footwear is indeed personal, but personally I've come to like trail runners so much that I giggle a bit when I see heavy boots.

Is it sacrilegious to put crampons on trail runners, btw?

Like I said I'm not sure I'd use trail runners if I was carrying 40+ lbs or something but they are great for what I usually carry (around 30 lbs max these days)

I think real crampons don't work well on trail runners because the shoes aren't stiff enough to hold them in place, so you're more likely to twist around in them rather than have a good stable platform. Things like microspikes seem to be OK, but I'm basing this off what I've read while trying to decide if I should get some traction devices this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You *could* put strap on crampons onto trail runners, but the lack of stiffness would be a problem, and makes me super-duper wary. You'd be better off with yaktrax or something like that, but would be facing difficulty with vertical terrain, no toe points.

• Locked thread