Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I grew up in the countryside 8 miles from a major UK city, and was privileged to be old enough to truly appreciate the start of the big hiking craze in the mid 1980s. It was us, a pack of kids in short shorts, t-shirts and jelly shoes (worse version of crocs) in the summer, and jeans, parkas, and Wellington boots in the winter, racing "townies" across the very flat moors and up the edges who were in full bright neon hiking gear + rucksacks + climbing gear costing hundreds of pounds. "hey mister you know there is a bus stop a mile away back to town and right". My old dad still gets a chuckle out of them as he tramps across the moors in old jogging bottoms and wellies to this day.

Best part about this is that 5 miles away in a different direction there are actual mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
crampons aren't going to work well with trailrunners. in most conditions that require crampons you aren't going to want to be wearing them anyway. trailrunners are great for casual hiking/backpacking but gangrene bait garbage for serious mountaineering. kahtoola microspikes work very well with trailrunners for low traction stuff where you don't need a boot (ex: training hikes in the winter) any other brand I've tried like yaktrax etc are varying degrees of poo poo. Traction's good but they're not going to do you any good when they fall off your shoes and require constant adjustment.

if you're doing something that demands crampons but you're a trailrunner person, i'd suggest just wearing lighter weight boots. keen has some offerings around 2.5lb that are crampon compatible but aren't waterproof and run cold in the snow. vasque st elias gtx and soloman quest 4d gtx are 3.5lb and will keep your feet warm and bone dry in any environment.

learnincurve posted:

I grew up in the countryside 8 miles from a major UK city, and was privileged to be old enough to truly appreciate the start of the big hiking craze in the mid 1980s. It was us, a pack of kids in short shorts, t-shirts and jelly shoes (worse version of crocs) in the summer, and jeans, parkas, and Wellington boots in the winter, racing "townies" across the very flat moors and up the edges who were in full bright neon hiking gear + rucksacks + climbing gear costing hundreds of pounds. "hey mister you know there is a bus stop a mile away back to town and right". My old dad still gets a chuckle out of them as he tramps across the moors in old jogging bottoms and wellies to this day.

Best part about this is that 5 miles away in a different direction there are actual mountains.

I'm the dork who brings way too much gear with me when I dayhike. I like to train with the same amount of weight and the same pack I'd use for actual backpacking, don't judge me!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 5, 2016

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

crampons aren't going to work well with trailrunners. in most conditions that require crampons you aren't going to want to be wearing them anyway. trailrunners are great for casual hiking/backpacking but gangrene bait garbage for serious mountaineering. kahtoola microspikes work very well with trailrunners for low traction stuff where you don't need a boot (ex: training hikes in the winter) any other brand I've tried like yaktrax etc are varying degrees of poo poo. Traction's good but they're not going to do you any good when they fall off your shoes and require constant adjustment.

Guys, I know, I've tried. They work kind of bad, but being 80's made in (edit: West) Germany crampons they are replete with awful faux leather straps and work better than nothing.

I was just asking if it's sacrilegious.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 5, 2016

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone here ever want to punch Ray Jardine in the dick real hard?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The ultralight guy? Is he unlikeable in person? 'cos ultralight means I can still keep hiking with a dickie knee.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
His writing is super insufferable, he also chiseled a hold into Half Dome. No ultralight hate. I love my siltarp.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Wrong type of hiking gear? How about anyone that's still using a tent? Hammock up or GTFO :smuggo:

barring the one or two places without, you know, trees

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
You mean everywhere above the tree line were it is awesome to camp?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Trees are great, why would you go somewhere with no trees?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because you live in the peak district where there are caves, or alternatively Youth Hostels.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm going to take the bold stance that trees are cool, but sometimes you don't want trees.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bongwizzard posted:

Trees are great, why would you go somewhere with no trees?

Because camping places like this is awesome

(some small white pines in the sub alpine zone but probably hard to find a good hammock spot)

At over 11k feet there's not much in the way of trees

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What do you use to camp out there? I'm thinking about switching from a one man tent to one of those nifty four seasons Bivy Sacks with the hoop so you can sit up in it instead.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

What do you use to camp out there? I'm thinking about switching from a one man tent to one of those nifty four seasons Bivy Sacks with the hoop so you can sit up in it instead.

YES

Do it

I recommend Bibler Tripod. Not being produced anymore, but its successor sucks; it's the only one out there that is perfectly sealed and has a hoop to keep the sack (if you could call it that) slightly off you.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
You could look into a light weight hammock stand for above treeline camping. Or string it up between two nice rocks!

Like this:

Something similar to this with some sort of tarp solution is what I'm planning to try when I go hammock camping in the mountains for the first time ever in a couple weeks!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Perfect meselfs thank you, looks like I can pick it up cheaper here than the Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy I have been eyeing as well.

My child has been watching me view this subforum with a deep sense of foreboding and impending doom.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

To be honest hammock's just seem like more of a hassle to me than I'm willing to deal with. They don't really seem appreciably lighter than lightweight tents and all that...really just comfort seems to be their selling point which is cool and all but not worth making the switch unless I end up really having trouble with tent camping.

learnincurve posted:

Regular ol' UL tent but I'd play around with just a tarp setup if I was going solo a lot (mostly been backpacking with my wife and she's not going to go for a tarp setup). Tarp, groundsheet, and practice pitching it in different ways should be good enough for the Sierra Nevada

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

forkbucket posted:

You could look into a light weight hammock stand for above treeline camping. Or string it up between two nice rocks!

Like this:

This guy knows what's up

Levitate posted:

To be honest hammock's just seem like more of a hassle to me than I'm willing to deal with. They don't really seem appreciably lighter than lightweight tents and all that...really just comfort seems to be their selling point which is cool and all but not worth making the switch unless I end up really having trouble with tent camping.

Unless you already spent :homebrew: on a tent, they're usually much lighter, quicker to set up, substantially more comfortable, and you can cook inside it to boot. It's also the little things, like being able to sit down and take your boots on/off, or being able to pack up/set up under your tarp while it's raining.

Once you go hammock, you never go back

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have no desire to ever be above the tree line, I wanna be low as possible at all times. I wanna need a pfd to sleep in incase of flood. Leave the mountains to others, give me all the river valleys.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm full of I'm stuck in the house for the next week and spending imaginary money on gear questions today...Does anyone here own or know of anyone who owns a Garmin Oregon 600? I have the 450t and it worries me. The screen on the 450t is bevelled and some sort of non-scratch plastic coated e-ink thing, but the screen on the 600 is flat gorilla glass. I don't understand this. Surely it gives it the durability of an iPhone does it not?

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

bongwizzard posted:

I have no desire to ever be above the tree line, I wanna be low as possible at all times. I wanna need a pfd to sleep in incase of flood. Leave the mountains to others, give me all the river valleys.

:frogout:

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I'm full of I'm stuck in the house for the next week and spending imaginary money on gear questions today...Does anyone here own or know of anyone who owns a Garmin Oregon 600? I have the 450t and it worries me. The screen on the 450t is bevelled and some sort of non-scratch plastic coated e-ink thing, but the screen on the 600 is flat gorilla glass. I don't understand this. Surely it gives it the durability of an iPhone does it not?

Since I carry my phone anyway, I just use Gaia GPS on it if I need to use a GPS. Does not require a cellular connection and works great and is 20$. Battery life in airplane mode on the phone with no other apps in standby or anything is like 18 hours of use, so generally more than enough. Not a bad idea to put your phone in a ziplock bag though just in case, they are okay but not super weather resistant.

The Garmin Oregon 600 is really cool though. It lost the bevelled edges which were really just a loving nuisance anyway and the glass is tough and the screen is the best pure GPS screen. I've gone through four iphones from my work and it has never been the screen that broke, but if you frequently have a problem with those screens I guess it could be an issue. IDK, just don't hammer your tent stakes with the screen or whatever.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I prefer my satmap 10 to anything else, it is admittedly more of a pain in the arse sometimes but the size of the screen and the cheapness of the 1:10000 O/S maps negate the flaws. The 400t is usually attached to a child with an active route back to a safe place and set up for geocashing.

Since I posted I discovered that you probably can hammer in tent pegs with the 600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Ab2lr4WVI

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Nothing cool happens up there, all you can do is look down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bongwizzard posted:

Careful what you wish for, my dad camped one night near a river and woke up in water and got safe but the flash flood killed a couple other people

Also the whole point of trees is to burn them so if you're in a burn ban area the trees will just taunt you

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

dude have you even ever been high?!

:colbert:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

dude have you even ever been high?!

:colbert:

My bro and I were blazed as hell at a really crowded trail outside of DC. We were waiting to go up this decently scrambly area with a ton of other people. This little girl, like 5-7, was standing on top of a huge rear end rock and when we passed her she shouted "I'm higher then you are!". Without missing a beat I replied "That's up for debate kid".

The one time I am clever, wasted on a kid.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bright side of mountains: no bugs

Downside of mountains: Poop does not decompose, so it's basically an open sewer

I think I'll stick below the treeline, please and thank you

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've seen giant red ticks, those big-rear end mosquitos with the stripey elgs in swarms, and wolf spiders the size of large coins on summits, we got bugs up here

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's your own fault for living somewhere interesting really. I'd like to see an animal in the wild :( Animal rights activists let hundreds of minks free in our area in the 80s which promptly ate everything but the squirrels.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Bugs can be super cool above treeline, every now and then swarms of butterflies make it over PNW cascade volcanoes, migrating. No idea why they'd prefer to straddle huge, prominent glaciated peaks.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It's your own fault for living somewhere interesting really. I'd like to see an animal in the wild :( Animal rights activists let hundreds of minks free in our area in the 80s which promptly ate everything but the squirrels.

Ask me how I feel about cats. People letting their cats roam outdoors, killing poo poo loads of small mammals and birds. There's some statistic like every outdoor cat kills ~5 animals a week. Multiply that by thousands of cats in my town and we've got a minor extinction event.

gently caress cats

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I feel you I really do. On the plus side the birds are doing fine and that's mostly down to farmers keeping a eye on protected areas/ the mini reserves and setting traps for mink, rats, and feral cats, which is quite sweet really as they don't have to police them and they do it at there own expense.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Ask me how I feel about cats. People letting their cats roam outdoors, killing poo poo loads of small mammals and birds. There's some statistic like every outdoor cat kills ~5 animals a week. Multiply that by thousands of cats in my town and we've got a minor extinction event.

gently caress cats

We used to have a booming outdoor cat population and then the coyote population took off and now all the outdoor cats are dead.

RIP cats

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
cats are better than birds and squirrels tbqh

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cats are fine so long as they are kept in the house, but it's undeniable that they kill for fun and are very good at it, which ain't great for the local British wildlife and but is good for spiders of which we have quite the infestation.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
ive seen cats eat spiders too, we should be fine

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a tailless squirrel that lives near my work and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

His name is Buddy.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
hammocks? gps? fretting about bugs?

good god i have nothing in common with you people. thru-hike trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Nothing cool happens up there, all you can do is look down.

on the plebeians and denizens of creek filth who can't breath well enough to hike at altitude

• Locked thread