Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

black children posted:

hammocks? gps? fretting about bugs?

good god i have nothing in common with you people. thru-hike trash

Can you describe what your typical outing is like and what you pack? Honestly not getting eaten up by bugs is pretty important to me. I would hike a lot less if it couldn't be easily avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009
my typical outing lasts from 2-3 days to 5 months. i don't carry very much, usually just a big camp knife, a smaller folding knife, a hatchet, a few lighters, fishing tackle, tarp, a headlamp, water purifier, compass, rain slick, blanket if it's cold and maybe some floofy odds and ends like toiletries or some weed. back when i was in alaska you would get mobbed by mosquitoes, they were so bad i saw dudes pissing and making GBS threads themselves and passing out on the ground because they couldn't even draw a breath without inhaling a dozen+ bugs. when you pulled your dick out to piss youd have 3 or 4 instantly glom onto it and when you wiped your rear end after taking a poo poo you'd normally get a nice big smear of blood from all the bugs latched onto your asscrack and gooch. trying to apply enough bug dope to deal with that level of bugs is simply impossible. the only way to deal is to just build up a tolerance. i don't know why, but bugs will gradually bite you less if you just take it and let it happen. they tend to go more for the thin-skin types. i know it sounds crazy but it's true. also, as you get covered in sores and bites your skin gradually gets covered in a layer of rubbery scar tissue and you stop feeling the itch so much.

every spring/summer is a fun new lesson in pain, because the tolerance generally wears off somewhat over the off season so you get the pleasure of learning to be a trooper all over again. the only thing to watch out for is malaria or bird flu or whatever, so in malarial zones i would recommend just covering yourself head-to-toe in clothing. this is also a good strategy for sleeping if the bugs are bothering you too much. bugs don't like to fly underneath stuff, so you can protect your face with a wide-brim hat. then you just need long sleeves & pants, gloves, maybe a scarf around your lower face, and just sleep with your boots on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Where is it that you go hiking again? I want to know so I can never go there.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea like, it seems easier to just avoid ever going to somewhere like that. I am obsessed with hiking along water so I end up getting bit all the time but like the first time my dick gets dive bombed I am gonna maybe not go back to that part of the earth.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah I'm going to stick with my grizzlies wolves and cougars, we don't get bugs like that here.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Where is it that you go hiking again? I want to know so I can never go there.

the tanana valley, basically the biggest part of the central interior

black children
Dec 14, 2009

black children posted:

the tanana valley, basically the biggest part of the central interior

like i know i'm coming across as a huge douchebag like "LOL TOUGEHN UP FUCKBOI" but this is really like old trapper knowledge from back in the day. same as how they used to call people who cared about blisters "tenderfoots", they also used to call people who cared about bugs "thin-skins". lest i be thought of as one of those poo poo-talkers who loudly boasts of their own inestimable tolerance and yet offers no evidence of their experience nor help for the newcomer, i present the following remedies taken from Nessmuk, Breck & Wells:

Nessmuk:
Pine-tar, 3 parts (can be extracted from any pine tree by drilling a small hole with knife, then collecting sap & lightly reducing over fire)
Castor oil, 2 parts (can be purchased relatively cheaply from any pharmacy; can also be replaced with olive oil)
pennyroyal oil, 1 part (available at the finer pharmacies or organic grocers; can also be created by boiling pennyroyal leaves in water & reducing, or substitute eucalyptus oil - be careful with the pennyroyal stuff, it can burn your skin)
Simmer all three over a low fire overnight, watching to make sure it doesn't burn.
(i have used this one and can attest to its efficacy)

Wells:
Olive oil, 1/2 pint
creosote, 1 oz
pennyroyal oil, 1 oz
camphor, 1 oz
stir

Breck:
Pine tar: 3 oz
Olive or Castor oil: 2 oz
Pennyroyal oil, 1 oz
citronella (you can find non-toxic bug dope that consists exclusively of citronella; in my experience, it is totally ineffective. smells nice though): 1 oz
Creosote: 1 oz
pulvirized camphor, 1 oz
vasoline as needed
heat all ingredients and stir until desired consistency is reached

all of these are 100% natural (except maybe the vaseline) and won't burn your skin off like DEET does, plus they are efficacious and smell pretty good.

i took these from a book called the Way of the Woods by Edward Breck; overall it's a very nice primer for long-term bush living. i went ahead and uploaded it here in case anybody is curious
https://www.scribd.com/doc/310416044/The-Way-of-the-Woods-Breck

i have something in the neighborhood of 25 gigs of bushcraft/survival pdfs and i'd be happy to upload more if people are interested, i also have some that are specifically catered towards wetlands survival if people are having bug problems. they're mostly oriented towards boreal zones (that is to say, the northern US, Canada, and Alaska) but if you just list an aspect of outdoor living you would like to know more about, odds are good i have a document pertaining to it :)

black children fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 26, 2016

black children
Dec 14, 2009
the sad thing is, the toxic bug zones are some of the few places left on this gay earth where you can still find unspoilt, untrodden wilderness. if you want to hike for weeks without seeing another human being, you unfortunately generally have to go to places that normal humans find too horrible to visit. just the world we live in :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Untrodden wilderness is kinda dull imho, seeing nature breakdown and absorb the edifices of man, not thats where it's at. Nothing I like more then hiking along and finding the ruins of an old boxcar rusting away in some tiny valley, in a spot where you can't even tell a railroad once ran.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

black children posted:

my typical outing lasts from 2-3 days to 5 months. i don't carry very much, usually just a big camp knife, a smaller folding knife, a hatchet, a few lighters, fishing tackle, tarp, a headlamp, water purifier, compass, rain slick, blanket if it's cold and maybe some floofy odds and ends like toiletries or some weed. back when i was in alaska you would get mobbed by mosquitoes, they were so bad i saw dudes pissing and making GBS threads themselves and passing out on the ground because they couldn't even draw a breath without inhaling a dozen+ bugs. when you pulled your dick out to piss youd have 3 or 4 instantly glom onto it and when you wiped your rear end after taking a poo poo you'd normally get a nice big smear of blood from all the bugs latched onto your asscrack and gooch. trying to apply enough bug dope to deal with that level of bugs is simply impossible. the only way to deal is to just build up a tolerance. i don't know why, but bugs will gradually bite you less if you just take it and let it happen. they tend to go more for the thin-skin types. i know it sounds crazy but it's true. also, as you get covered in sores and bites your skin gradually gets covered in a layer of rubbery scar tissue and you stop feeling the itch so much.

yer making me roudy

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look at these chumps wearing cotton. They probably didn't even bring DEET

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm g.ay for meselfs and black children :ssh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That movie was filmed in my backyard. I was probably in that same spot at some point. That's my claim to fame.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Nessmuk's a homeboy.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Picnic Princess posted:

That movie was filmed in my backyard. I was probably in that same spot at some point. That's my claim to fame.

I'm legit jealous. Beautiful country right there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Few of the Monty python opening sequences with the "It's" man were filmed where my parent's garden would be 10 years later. The peak district is a lot like some of the places posted about here if they had much smaller peaks, actual paved paths for some of the main trails, you were never within a few hours from a bath, lots of tourists, and instead of big bugs there were midges.

I'm not joking about the path thing btw

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm legit jealous. Beautiful country right there.

It can be distracting while watching a movie because you're getting into it then all of a sudden you know they're in a field in friggin Canmore. Immersion ruined.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Epitope posted:

And I though I was lonely, turns out I'm in a love triangle.

Picnic Princess posted:

Everything has to be tastefully exaggerated in cinema to be interesting. So I guess Canada = tastefully exaggerated Montana.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
After asking y'all for clothing/gear advice for an upcoming short backpacking trip to Glacier, I've spent the last few weeks acquiring many needful things. I suppose most important would be a pair of Keen mid-ankle boots (Logans) - they seemed the most practical for my needs, and were budget friendly. Since purchasing, I've been able to do about 50 miles around local hills and have been very pleased with their comfort and utility. With the addition of numerous smaller things like sock liners, good hiking pants, headlamp, and other gear my daytrips have already seen significant improvement. Though my wallet feels suspiciously light.

I'm now really excited to be able to spend more time hiking and exploring.. Ive seriously caught the bug. Or Lyme disease.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So last years Autumn my buddy and I were out in the mountains for a 4 day trip. On the last day we met some ladies that were up there in sneakers and they thought they'd go on a round trip by following the markers. They were kinda surprised when I told them the markers would lead them on a 7 hours hike north and that they were two hours away from having to cross a river followed by a 3 hour walk in marshlands. People really should read a map and at least do some basic preparations before going out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Currently watching Ken burns "the national parks".

Holy poo poo. I mean, I've always known about American history and such but this is such a well produced assortment of visuals. It's a little slow but visually stunning and to see the very people who fought to protect these places for us to experience today ... drat.

These motherfuckers and their canvas clothing and knee high leather boots hauling up Denali like nothing. Amazes me every time.

I want to pack up my car and take the summer off. Hit up grand Canyon, arches, Zion, glacier, yosemite, and teton.

** whoops thought this was the regular hiking thread**

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 28, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This thread is pretty much derailed at this point, but it works because we're having interesting commentary about various outdoor related things so I'm cool with your post.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
mosquitos are retarded but black children is right about the fact that you just get used to them. Last summer in Inuvik I saw tourists who made the Dempster highway journey covered in mosquito jackets still agonizing over being constantly harassed by swarms. I will put on bug dope or w/e but it only goes so far as thick clouds of them still hover around and buzz in my ears and bite wherever they can get in so after awhile u just have to accept it and ignore it imo.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Epitope posted:

:ssh:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

learnincurve posted:

I'm not joking about the path thing btw

that looks like a fun day hike and if you dont think so you're wrong

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We have some paved paths and boardwalks built in the Rockies and they help people with mobility issues get outside, and I believe everyone should get outside so I'm cool with it. We have trails you can take people in wheelchairs and things like that on. There's a big initiative with the local provincial parks to develop some spaces for people with things like cerebral palsy and other severe disabilities to get out and enjoy the forest by developing a few accessible trails. I took my friend and her baby with stroller on one a couple weeks ago, it was awesome.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Picnic Princess posted:

We have some paved paths and boardwalks built in the Rockies and they help people with mobility issues get outside, and I believe everyone should get outside so I'm cool with it. We have trails you can take people in wheelchairs and things like that on. There's a big initiative with the local provincial parks to develop some spaces for people with things like cerebral palsy and other severe disabilities to get out and enjoy the forest by developing a few accessible trails. I took my friend and her baby with stroller on one a couple weeks ago, it was awesome.

And add to that that Canadian backcountry is so extensive and remote as to be essentially endless, so there is almost no downside to a few popular places being given enhanced access for the less-able bodied. :canada:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Once you pave a path, it's basically a bike trail. The baby has the right idea - wheels are in play, gently caress off with that inefficient walking nonsense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Once you pave a path, it's basically a bike trail. The baby has the right idea - wheels are in play, gently caress off with that inefficient walking nonsense.

What about Walter's wiggles in zion

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

b0ner of doom posted:

mosquitos are retarded but black children is right about the fact that you just get used to them. Last summer in Inuvik I saw tourists who made the Dempster highway journey covered in mosquito jackets still agonizing over being constantly harassed by swarms. I will put on bug dope or w/e but it only goes so far as thick clouds of them still hover around and buzz in my ears and bite wherever they can get in so after awhile u just have to accept it and ignore it imo.

The less you think about mosquito's the less bad they are. Also hike in groups, at least one person will freak out and draw all the mosquitos away from you, when they ask what you secret is make up some bs that makes you look super outdoorsy

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Is this place ironic like the imp zone, or is everyone here seriously being assholes about walking?

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Like, it's walking. Don't be so pretentious you guys.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Thruhikestomper58

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Noun Verber posted:

Is this place ironic like the imp zone, or is everyone here seriously being assholes about walking?

yes

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Ok thanks, you guys had me worried. That would have been some pathetically spergy poo poo if it was earnest. ":bahgawd: HE'S WEARING THE WRONG SHOES GET EM"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Guys, you just walk up Denali. So easy -- I wore my crocs!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you use google maps on your iPhone like a real pro?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Noun Verber posted:

Ok thanks, you guys had me worried. That would have been some pathetically spergy poo poo if it was earnest. ":bahgawd: HE'S WEARING THE WRONG SHOES GET EM"

I mean I do make fun of people who are woefully under prepared but actually hope that they're not going to hurt themselves

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The only way to be is completely serious and completely self-depreciating at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Noun Verber posted:

quote:

Like, it's walking. Don't be so pretentious you guys.

spoken like true day-hike scum

• Locked thread