Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I was going to make fun of the trail runner I encountered who was talking on the phone as she ran up the mountain, but then I realized that she was easily able to carry on a conversation while running uphill. She gets a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I remember reading some journals of old American explorers who blazed some early trails in the Alaskan interior and they all universally whined about how bad the bugs were. They had to sleep with burlap sacks over their heads just to escape mosquitos, and their horses barely slept because they spent all night running around from how badly they were being bitten. Some people chose only to travel by winter just to avoid the bugs.

So basically hating bugs is a universal experience, that even the hardcore explorers of the past had to deal with.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 9, 2016

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I often go canoe camping with a group of dudes that have over 20 years experience doing that sort of thing. Week long treks through the Ontario Wilderness. The worst piece of gear was a personal kayak that one of the guys got for Christmas, he opted to not take a spot in a canoe, since he figured his Kayak would do the trick. When he showed up, it was a heavy lovely stubby plastic ones you get for 80 bucks at Cosco, he didn't even make it to dinner on the first day before we had to start towing his rear end around the lakes and rivers. Portaging the drat thing was also a pain, seeing as it was designed to sit at your cottage and boot around in the lake.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

*admiring the insect swarm so dense people are literally sucking mosquitos into their lungs and throwing up/coughing*

ah the despoiled beauty of the wilds

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
go late summer/early fall and there will be far fewer mosquitos

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Or just go like literally almost anywhere else on earth.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i unironically think that all the dead birds were a justifiable cost of using DDT, especially considering how many millions (of humans) die of malaria every year

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

out on my last hike we were heading back and another group came up and it was a narrow walkway so we stopped to let them pass and this guy tripped on a rock and almost fell off the ledge (about 60 feet of 65? degree jagged rocky incline into a roaring creek). He had a beer in his hoodie apparently open and it shattered/spilled everywhere when he hit the ground, he scrambled up on his own and was red faced and quickly ran off down the trail. Poor dude. Anyway, pay attention to where you are walking when hanging over chasms stay safe all.

Ravens Ruse
Aug 17, 2016

I'm new.... I have no clue and frequently state the obvious
ok so I fail at most stuff in this thread... except for this one

quote:

"I hosed a bear in a wind suit"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A thermometer? You're outside, you'll know if it is hot or cold!

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Epitope posted:

A thermometer? You're outside, you'll know if it is hot or cold!

maybe they have congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis and can't feel that, or any pain or the need to urinate. i admire their dedication to the outdoors despite adversity, but that is a really hard condition to manage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Levitate posted:

dude have you even ever been high?!

:colbert:
It's often really windy when you're way up there, and butane is bad for you anyway so be smart and bring a magnifying glass and sunglasses to light your bong with while you're sitting on a windswept crest.

Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

That rug really tied the room together.
I once went for a hike on trail designated for snowshoeing. However, it was early spring and all the snow on the trail was hard-packed, so we just wore our hiking boots. Got a kick out of all the tourists asking us how we were managing without snowshoes like the ones they paid money to rent for the day.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
im going for a two hour hike on a mild spring afternoon, better make sure im wearing a brand name base layer

Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im going for a two hour hike on a mild spring afternoon, better make sure im wearing a brand name base layer

This honestly bothers me. Who in their right mind pays $100+ for a pair of long johns?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You can peel my thick merino leggings from my cold, dead, but surprisingly stink-free, thighs.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Hobophobe posted:

This honestly bothers me. Who in their right mind pays $100+ for a pair of long johns?

Those aren't for hiking! Those are for wearing in the city when you go to the coffee shop across the street from the yoga pants boutique that has sterile outdoor scenes plastered on the wall.

Recently there was this guy skiing uphill in freezing weather with snow coming down in only a cotton t shirt and jeans amongst all the downhill goers clad in down. Then, after a 2000ft ascent, he put on a windbreak and tried to ski back down, tumbling as this was his first skiing experiment. That guy was me :wiggle:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Those aren't for hiking! Those are for wearing in the city when you go to the coffee shop across the street from the yoga pants boutique that has sterile outdoor scenes plastered on the wall.

Recently there was this guy skiing uphill in freezing weather with snow coming down in only a cotton t shirt and jeans amongst all the downhill goers clad in down. Then, after a 2000ft ascent, he put on a windbreak and tried to ski back down, tumbling as this was his first skiing experiment. That guy was me :wiggle:

Haha I am totally the asshat in a t-shirt on winter days but that's because I radiate a poo poo ton of heat when I'm physically active. I don't even do my coat up when I go outside until it's -20 or else I roast to death.

Hobophobe
Nov 14, 2004

I just buy multiple pairs of the $20 merino underlayers you can get at Costco. If it gets really cold I just double up. Less expensive and more versatile. I don't know if a pair of Icebreakers would be superior to wearing two pairs of far cheaper long johns, but I really doubt it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If you guys want a business idea, start a merino wool base layer company focused on motorcyclists. There is so much bad plastic underwear/ tech shirts/ cotton crap produced for that market. Get a Harley Davidson branded merino t shirt out. Though, you'd need to educate a whole other group of people.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hell, market it as the "won't melt to your skin" alternative.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Picnic Princess posted:

Haha I am totally the asshat in a t-shirt on winter days but that's because I radiate a poo poo ton of heat when I'm physically active. I don't even do my coat up when I go outside until it's -20 or else I roast to death.

Ha, you too!? Wait, you're making fun of me. Wait, which thread am I in?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Ha, you too!? Wait, you're making fun of me. Wait, which thread am I in?

I am totally not making fun of you. It was -25c today and I still didn't do my coat up.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

being in direct sunlight or being physically active does weird things to your comfort level. when I lived in the high rockies I would often have to take my coat entirely off while working if temps went above 10F because the sun was so intense at that altitude. but as soon as you stepped into the shade or the sun went down, whoa nelly

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I seem to sweat a lot at the unnoticeable level - like, if I sit in a car on a day that's not like 68 degrees or warmer, I will fog up all the windows in a 3 foot radius. I have no idea why, but it does mean that I need to go way out of my way to watch out for how breathable a lot of materials are because walking into a building in a coat and sweatshirt can make me start to sweat buckets within 3-5 minutes. It's obnoxious as hell - maybe I'm dying, but it's been occurring to me for well over a dozen years.. Every automobile I own has the thermostat set to "defrost" 24/7/365, and if someone doesn't turn their car's thermo to "defrost" when I get in, I will bet you money that I'll fog up everything within an arm's reach in a couple minutes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I heat up quickly and have to really pay attention to temperature regulation as well. One time at Ranier I overheard a couple people call me a show-off douchebag for stripping down to a sleeveless tee after a high intensity burst :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Guest2553 posted:

I heat up quickly and have to really pay attention to temperature regulation as well. One time at Ranier I overheard a couple people call me a show-off douchebag for stripping down to a sleeveless tee after a high intensity burst :(

Hey man, know that you have a soulmate in me. I hike in a t-shirt when there's snow on the ground and sometimes take handfulls of snow to rub on my face and neck from overheating too much.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Few of the Monty python opening sequences with the "It's" man were filmed where my parent's garden would be 10 years later. The peak district is a lot like some of the places posted about here if they had much smaller peaks, actual paved paths for some of the main trails, you were never within a few hours from a bath, lots of tourists, and instead of big bugs there were midges.

I'm not joking about the path thing btw

I think those paths are also to protect the route from you excessive erosion

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah the alternative to paving stones / asphalt paths in places with that heavy of foot traffic is "muddy, torn-up trail that gets washed out every winter and stays closed all spring"

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lugged soles are an affront to Gaia. Caress your mother with supple skin

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah the alternative to paving stones / asphalt paths in places with that heavy of foot traffic is "muddy, torn-up trail that gets washed out every winter and stays closed all spring"

And then people don't want to walk in a muddy rut 6" deep so they create a new path beside it and eventually you end up with a braided mud slop trail 20 feet wide.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Epitope posted:

Lugged soles are an affront to Gaia. Caress your mother with supple skin

Come to Pennsylvania, land of a million goddamned rocks jabbing at your feet on every trail. The boots, they do nothing!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Finally joined the gortex shell master race. Feels good.

All other shells are shameful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i nearly died in mexico from not knowing about appropriate materials!

i sweat through my cotton hoodie and when the sun went down and temp went below 60 i went hypothermic

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I get warm and a noticeably increased heart rate when I smoke the weed out. I was bush camping one summer with my down mummy bag (rated to -7 C) and must have passed out in the bag from too much box wine and dope. Woke up hyperventilating and in hyperthermia, sweating from every pore on my body, without hyperbole. Like profusely from the soles of my feet, palms of my hands, elbows, ears, eyelids, everything. We were a 2 mile hike to the car and a 15 mile drive to get into cell coverage and my wife thought I was going to die. She managed to gradually cool me down by ripping the fly off the tent and I managed to stop the hyperventilating with Kung-Fu breathing exercises I haven't done since I was 14. It was all very scary and not something I would ever want to go through again.

I still smoke the occasional weed but now I have a proper summer sleeping bag.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Poles are awesome when you're carrying serious weight, like 60+ lbs of poo poo. If you're carrying less than that, man up and stop being such a gigantic pussy.

I did an hiking course with people who didn't know what they were doing(Christmas gift from the padres). 2nd desert hike out, one of the people in the group decided that because we were going to the desert, and because the desert is hot, she wouldn't bring any long-sleeves or even her rain gear :downs:. Thankfully it was a weekender hike, but this lady was burnt to gently caress by the end of it and freezing rear end cold at night. An environment where there is literally no cover from the sun for 7 hours a day is piss poor place to rely on sunscreen. I'd rather be hot in my long sleeved shirts and pants than look like a burnished leather purse in twenty years.

Also took my dad for a long day hike in Mission Trails in San Diego. He wore cotton socks and tennis shoes. When we got home, his feet had loving massive blisters on them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After 20 years I am finally moving back into the arse end of nowhere, which has a popular hiking route* though it. Last time I was a teenager and therefore didn't appreciate it enough, and now I'm looking forward to really annoying the tourists with short shorts and flip flops again.

*It's one of those UK trails that people wear £500 worth of all weather gear for, and at no point are they more than a mile away from some sort of village, pub, or bus stop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

pointsofdata posted:

I think those paths are also to protect the route from you excessive erosion

They are yes, peak national park has invested a fortune in putting nice paths and stairs along vulnerable parts of the pennine way especially in the Edale/Castleton area. It still makes it really unimpressive when people brag about walking it, unless they keep on going north and out of youth hostel range. The biggest problem mountain rescue has is idiots using google maps as a map or geocaching on a Iphone and then ending up hosed when the heavy fog comes down and oops no battery, few years ago they said that call outs have gone up 180% since the invention of the smartphone.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

learnincurve posted:

They are yes, peak national park has invested a fortune in putting nice paths and stairs along vulnerable parts of the pennine way especially in the Edale/Castleton area. It still makes it really unimpressive when people brag about walking it, unless they keep on going north and out of youth hostel range. The biggest problem mountain rescue has is idiots using google maps as a map or geocaching on a Iphone and then ending up hosed when the heavy fog comes down and oops no battery, few years ago they said that call outs have gone up 180% since the invention of the smartphone.

I wonder if the stats for cow attacks have done the same. Feel like there are a lot more idiots with dogs nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There were always idiots with dogs, what there are now are less farmers walking around their land threatening to shoot dogs since quotas came in. They worked out that selling them to those big mega farm businesses meant they could retire to Spain and not get up at 3am in winter, and besides " the younger generation have no interest in farming and are going to sell up when Im dead anyway so gently caress 'em".

• Locked thread