Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

Usually I'd agree with this sentiment but once I saw two dudes setting out for a hike in vibram five fingers and the extreme mix of anger and smug superiority I felt caused me to have a seizure.

There may be no wrong way to hike, but there are lots of wrong ways to equip one's self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This forum moves too slow. We gotta pick up the pace or I'm going to have to stop and put on a layer

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The Ten Essentials
1. Knife
2. Firestarter
3. Matches
4. Map
5. Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
6. Headlamp (or flashlight)
7. Sunglasses and sunscreen
8. First-aid supplies
9. Extra clothing
10. Extra food

"The ten essentials" for going outside? What is this poo poo. How about 1: "being a human animal." Done. You nerdy motherfucker.

1 knife- oh, right. you think this is motherfucking hatchet. you're gonna build a house out of sticks and farm some radishes cuz you remembered your trusty pocket knife. give me a break.

2 firestarter- what like gasoline? bitch you gonna burn down the woods. get out of here with that poo poo.

3 matches- oh you better believe fire is essential. you some kinda badass though, why don't you just rub some sticks together

4 map- what, you trying to find your way to the mall? through the woods? how about you just watch where you going

5 compass- what are we, christopher god damned columbus? gonna discover new lands? your rear end is trying to get lost, ain't ya.

6 headlamp- "hey, look at me, i can see how much of a goober i am in the dark"

7 sunglasses and sunscreen- oh poo poo there's sun out there! how about a parasol too you nancy

8 first-aid supplies- don't forget the duct tape and grocery bags for a sucking chest wound, case you run into the injuns :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9 extra clothing- hold on, you gonna change your outfit while you're out hiking? oh, i get it, you gotta find the perfect look for your new profile pic. go gently caress yourself.

10 extra food- mmm powerbars, hell ya lets pay two dollars for a dog turd.

i got a theory, this list was made up by elitist A holes that want to keep the woods for themselves. supprise motha fucka! i didn't even pick up the poo poo i just took back there! owned bitch!!!@!!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Free Market Mambo posted:

Epitope please don't die, it makes everyone look bad.

When I was a bit younger I resented more experienced people chiding me for not being prepared enough. Like, what, only the uber elite are allowed to die on epic K2 adventures? I think I mostly made it through that phase, and now appreciate that depositing my corpse in a park would be pretty lovely.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wrote this a while ago. It's probably not funny either but gently caress you Larry you're not the boss of me.

To the tune of not to touch the earth
https://youtu.be/6aNNIyxbG5g

want to touch the earth
out under the sun
get rid of your shoes and
run run run
lets run

socks that cost a bill
feet are covered still
jogging through the trees
hope to fix those bad knees
come on baby run for free

run for free
run hippie
run to be green
lets run

the sole may get worn but they never wear out
rich people tired of their comfortable lair
poor people livin big with what they have
and you can't talk poo poo 'till you try it yourself

broken glass, rusty nails, hot blacktop tar
get to the trail in an import car
a new lifestyle in a few thousand yards
to become a tarrahumar

run for free
run hippie
run to be green
lets run

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Trillian posted:

This is an actual serious book about hiking

That's my trail gear

Half of everything is looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFu-VfRJrHU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

wool and canvas suck poo poo if you have to carry a lot of it a long ways

You ultra lite chumps can make believe you're Ueli Steck. I much prefer to role play as a Klondike prospector

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Ultralight owns and I will fight you, gibbon man

I'm down to brawl. But then we'll have to join forces in the third act, to defend the woods against Robo-Trump and the minions of GloboCorp

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

joke_explainer posted:

The Canadian was shivering but continued to refuse and help

Motherfucker, put on the drat poncho, I swear to god... You're not bloody John Muir, and if you were you'd be nestling into some pine needles right now, not marching back to your Subaru

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Zip off legs on hiking pants are the greatest thing ever. I use them as work pants too since our uniform can be either or so if the day starts out warm but then snows I'll always be prepared. They're one of my favourite things ever.

Source your quotes

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look at these chumps wearing cotton. They probably didn't even bring DEET

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm g.ay for meselfs and black children :ssh:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A thermometer? You're outside, you'll know if it is hot or cold!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lugged soles are an affront to Gaia. Caress your mother with supple skin

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

my bitter bi rival posted:

you guys like to get worked up about this stuff huh?

*pulls your tail*
What's this for? Balance while you try to climb on the couch?
*easily climbs tree while you bark impotently*
Nice claws. I bet you cry when your mom clips them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

my bitter bi rival posted:

oh, where can i find them?

I want to make a retort but your burn is too effective. :( I knew there was a reason I packed all this gauze

• Locked thread