Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

B33rChiller posted:

I know it's not hiking, but it loving infuriates me when I see assholes on stand up paddle boards without a pfd or lifejacket. Mutherfucker, nobody wants your bloated corpse washing up on the beach.

Or for that matter, paddle boards.

Let's just take kayaking and surfing, mash them together, and make a much more lame sport where I can look like a dorky gondola Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Vibram people think "barefoot=natural, and hiking=nature, so I clearly must wear my natural barefoot running shoes to scramble up lava rock."

Pretty sure first early man who tried to climb that poo poo gave up and waited a few centuries until shoes got better. He probably would have taken modern hiking boots, too.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
You ain't poo poo if you aren't out this summer with the new Flextrek Whipsnake 37T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Larry Parrish posted:

That video makes me want to go hike in the summer when it's 100 and unbearable in just a La Cravasse.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

somuch_gravy posted:

bro you seriously ran into my friends.

What was the rest of the story? Did all your friends die that day?

One time, I was on day 5 of a 6 day hike. We had a hard go of it using snowshoes, and the kind of ultra-light techgear you would expect when 2 of the 3 people worked at REI. We ran into some yokels from Florida: a dad, son, and two cousins, all of which arrived at the airport from home earlier that morning, and were attacking the loop from the opposite direction. They set up their Coleman 8 person tent 15 feet from us while wearing sweatpants and tshirts. One of them was in tennis shoes. They got in a fight because the youngest son was supposed to bring a lighter, and it didn't work. It was their only fire source, to either light the Coleman tailgate style stove, or light a fire (despite the fact that Colorado was having wildfire problems, and it was a no burn zone.) One kid had a memory foam sleep pad.

We gave them a book of matches and a lighter, told them about the giant snow crest they are going to have to climb up on top of the ridge, and privately encouraged Dad to go back and try an easier hike not far away. They thanked us, we went fishing and they made dinner, then Dad nearly fell out of a tree trying to climb far enough out on a limb to hang a bear bag, and they all went to bed.

The next morning, we had breakfast and broke camp late because it was a short hike out. Only one kid was up, unsure of what to do by the time we left them. They had a hike ahead of them that took us 9 hours, and we went the easy way. We let the rangers at the station know how many there were, and which direction they were traveling.

Always wondered what happened to those guys.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
But seriously, go hiking with people who work at REI or your local outfitter. You get to field test equipment chosen by people who sell it for a living, and hear way more feedback than they'd ever want to know from customers.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

So, if we are going to be talking about TFR and Hiking there is a subject that will need to come up.

This:

So, goats. Goats are herd animals. If you stay the leader of the herd they follow you. You let them grow their horns they can defend themselves and you. If a predator does decide you look tasty, odds are they are going to think your goats look tastier and take one of them.

You don't need to feed them, they are goats, they eat everything along the path.

If you need to carry more gear, you just add more goats. Weight? Who cares, I have goats.

I've been out with my grandfather's pack goats and they just follow you at whatever pace you set, eating the brush along the way. They stick to you like glue, don't stray at all. Aren't afraid of gunfire (we were testing that when we went out with them).

All in all they just love going out, and don't mind the pack at all, and you can easily distribute pretty much any amount of gear between the goats.

This is amazing, and I'm doing this.

I even know which goats I'm taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Vahakyla posted:

They are also delicious.

I'm not sure if you mean the workers, or the goats but :colbert:

• Locked thread