Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Anything cotton anywhere other than a desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My $10 Wal-Mart runners will be just fine for scrambling

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everything Muerte did for his Hike Across America

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Drunkboxer posted:

Anyone who needs anything more than street clothes for a hike less than 15 miles is a loving pussy

Enjoy your ball chafe

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

Dude started hiking in pt. Reyes nat sea shore, complained how hard the hills were, made it 20 miles in like 4 days and then quit

Perhaps if he ate more than a handful of raisins he would have made it at least a few miles farther.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I think he was planning on eating at Denny's all the time, yeah

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lotka Volterra posted:

Once hiked a 14er in tennis shoes, come at me

Whenever I see pics of 14ers they always just look like really really big hills.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Slim Pickens posted:

It's cool bro, they got a tether

At least the board will be returned to the beach with their body after they fall off and hit their head on a rock and drown. Those things are pricey.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ultralight owns and I will fight you, gibbon man

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

A lot of those goats are ridiculously poorly packed. It's almost cruel. At least try to make it comfortable for them goddamn

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I would legit be embarrassed to even be seen with that kind of lovely packing job. How lazy can you possibly be.

Also animals are objectively better than people so I would rather go hiking with a goat than some weirdo person. Least I could do is pack like a not-idiot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Can't help but wonder if that's Picnic's great grandmother.

No one else in my family has ever been outdoorsy at all. I'm a lone wolf.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Zip off legs on hiking pants are the greatest thing ever. I use them as work pants too since our uniform can be either or so if the day starts out warm but then snows I'll always be prepared. They're one of my favourite things ever.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Source your quotes

Not a work pic, hopefully it's sufficient

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I've seen giant red ticks, those big-rear end mosquitos with the stripey elgs in swarms, and wolf spiders the size of large coins on summits, we got bugs up here

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's a tailless squirrel that lives near my work and it's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

His name is Buddy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah I'm going to stick with my grizzlies wolves and cougars, we don't get bugs like that here.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That movie was filmed in my backyard. I was probably in that same spot at some point. That's my claim to fame.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I'm legit jealous. Beautiful country right there.

It can be distracting while watching a movie because you're getting into it then all of a sudden you know they're in a field in friggin Canmore. Immersion ruined.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This thread is pretty much derailed at this point, but it works because we're having interesting commentary about various outdoor related things so I'm cool with your post.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We have some paved paths and boardwalks built in the Rockies and they help people with mobility issues get outside, and I believe everyone should get outside so I'm cool with it. We have trails you can take people in wheelchairs and things like that on. There's a big initiative with the local provincial parks to develop some spaces for people with things like cerebral palsy and other severe disabilities to get out and enjoy the forest by developing a few accessible trails. I took my friend and her baby with stroller on one a couple weeks ago, it was awesome.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The only way to be is completely serious and completely self-depreciating at the same time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Those aren't for hiking! Those are for wearing in the city when you go to the coffee shop across the street from the yoga pants boutique that has sterile outdoor scenes plastered on the wall.

Recently there was this guy skiing uphill in freezing weather with snow coming down in only a cotton t shirt and jeans amongst all the downhill goers clad in down. Then, after a 2000ft ascent, he put on a windbreak and tried to ski back down, tumbling as this was his first skiing experiment. That guy was me :wiggle:

Haha I am totally the asshat in a t-shirt on winter days but that's because I radiate a poo poo ton of heat when I'm physically active. I don't even do my coat up when I go outside until it's -20 or else I roast to death.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

meselfs posted:

Ha, you too!? Wait, you're making fun of me. Wait, which thread am I in?

I am totally not making fun of you. It was -25c today and I still didn't do my coat up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Guest2553 posted:

I heat up quickly and have to really pay attention to temperature regulation as well. One time at Ranier I overheard a couple people call me a show-off douchebag for stripping down to a sleeveless tee after a high intensity burst :(

Hey man, know that you have a soulmate in me. I hike in a t-shirt when there's snow on the ground and sometimes take handfulls of snow to rub on my face and neck from overheating too much.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah the alternative to paving stones / asphalt paths in places with that heavy of foot traffic is "muddy, torn-up trail that gets washed out every winter and stays closed all spring"

And then people don't want to walk in a muddy rut 6" deep so they create a new path beside it and eventually you end up with a braided mud slop trail 20 feet wide.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

my bitter bi rival posted:

you guys like to get worked up about this stuff huh?

It's fun to make jokes about it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

• Locked thread