Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Once hiked a 14er in tennis shoes, come at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Save me jeebus posted:

Because most people only hike the class 1/2s that are close to Denver and eschew the cool climbs in the rest of the state. Except for Longs; Jesus. I will never do Longs again because there are too many goddamned people in class 3 terrain that shouldn't loving be there.

yeah, though hiking class 2s can be fun with some nice scrambling

stuff like elbert, though, yeah. glorified walks up a really big hill

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

B33rChiller posted:

I agree, and the whole list is pretty much common sense. I'd just never heard any kind of codified name for "basic supplies in case something unexpected happens". Well, I suppose that might be called "basic survival kit". I'm surprised water, or at least some form of water treatment, didn't make the list. I mean, you can survive a few days lost in the wilderness without extra food. Good luck without water.

Honestly, I've found my iodine tabs to be much more helpful on long hikes/overnights than anything else.

But yeah, water itself is self-explanatory

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Prop Wash posted:

I saw a guy in vibram five fingers go up and down Mt Fuji, he looked like he wasn't having a great time (because his feet were getting slashed to ribbons from the volcanic rock)

I don't know what would possess someone to wear those while hiking. I guess they just really like destroying their feet and/or knees?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Larry Parrish posted:

I think people who wear shoes like Vibrams, forget that shoes are supposed to protect your feet, and comfort is like, a secondary thing.

it doesnt even make sense from a comfort standpoint, though, because vibrams aren't comfortable. People wear them for the "health benefits" while running, which makes no sense if you're hiking which is specifically not a long-distance running sport

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The Kingfish posted:

I just bought some chocos did I fail? They were the most comfortable shoes that I tried on.

I know quite a few people who wear chacos almost exclusively while hiking/doing field work in krummholz/alpine, so they should be good. The only obvious draw backs are that if you're not graceful you'll end up cutting up your feet and they're not waterproof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mathlete posted:

Huh? What do you mean waterproof? They're sandals. You just slosh through streams and your feet dry as you keep walking.

That said, I don't think I'd like them for hiking because of brush, getting small pebbles and burrs stuck under your foot, sunburned feet, gashing your toe open, etc.

Thus why I said obvious draw backs. Obviously they aren't going to keep your feet warm/dry like waterproof/resistant boots

• Locked thread