Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black children
Dec 14, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

Your a scrub if you don't get your gear at an REI garage sale or the army surplus.

Also Wool is the poo poo. No sleeping bag, just a surplus wool blanket is way more comfortable as long as it isn''t below 30.
Or your corporate sponsors :cool
but yeah seriously, Amen. Wool and canvas. A lot of people make really silly decisions about what to take in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Ultralight owns and I will fight you, gibbon man
For dayhikes and marathons, maybe. Some of us live in the woods full-time, missy :clint:

black children
Dec 14, 2009
back in the day, firefighting crews used to have pack mules to carry their extra poo poo. i think that's a great idea. they also used to have camp cooks too :mad:

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

They also died by the boatloads.

but they were MEN, dammit :bahgawd:

black children
Dec 14, 2009
hammocks? gps? fretting about bugs?

good god i have nothing in common with you people. thru-hike trash

black children
Dec 14, 2009
my typical outing lasts from 2-3 days to 5 months. i don't carry very much, usually just a big camp knife, a smaller folding knife, a hatchet, a few lighters, fishing tackle, tarp, a headlamp, water purifier, compass, rain slick, blanket if it's cold and maybe some floofy odds and ends like toiletries or some weed. back when i was in alaska you would get mobbed by mosquitoes, they were so bad i saw dudes pissing and making GBS threads themselves and passing out on the ground because they couldn't even draw a breath without inhaling a dozen+ bugs. when you pulled your dick out to piss youd have 3 or 4 instantly glom onto it and when you wiped your rear end after taking a poo poo you'd normally get a nice big smear of blood from all the bugs latched onto your asscrack and gooch. trying to apply enough bug dope to deal with that level of bugs is simply impossible. the only way to deal is to just build up a tolerance. i don't know why, but bugs will gradually bite you less if you just take it and let it happen. they tend to go more for the thin-skin types. i know it sounds crazy but it's true. also, as you get covered in sores and bites your skin gradually gets covered in a layer of rubbery scar tissue and you stop feeling the itch so much.

every spring/summer is a fun new lesson in pain, because the tolerance generally wears off somewhat over the off season so you get the pleasure of learning to be a trooper all over again. the only thing to watch out for is malaria or bird flu or whatever, so in malarial zones i would recommend just covering yourself head-to-toe in clothing. this is also a good strategy for sleeping if the bugs are bothering you too much. bugs don't like to fly underneath stuff, so you can protect your face with a wide-brim hat. then you just need long sleeves & pants, gloves, maybe a scarf around your lower face, and just sleep with your boots on.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Where is it that you go hiking again? I want to know so I can never go there.

the tanana valley, basically the biggest part of the central interior

black children
Dec 14, 2009

black children posted:

the tanana valley, basically the biggest part of the central interior

like i know i'm coming across as a huge douchebag like "LOL TOUGEHN UP FUCKBOI" but this is really like old trapper knowledge from back in the day. same as how they used to call people who cared about blisters "tenderfoots", they also used to call people who cared about bugs "thin-skins". lest i be thought of as one of those poo poo-talkers who loudly boasts of their own inestimable tolerance and yet offers no evidence of their experience nor help for the newcomer, i present the following remedies taken from Nessmuk, Breck & Wells:

Nessmuk:
Pine-tar, 3 parts (can be extracted from any pine tree by drilling a small hole with knife, then collecting sap & lightly reducing over fire)
Castor oil, 2 parts (can be purchased relatively cheaply from any pharmacy; can also be replaced with olive oil)
pennyroyal oil, 1 part (available at the finer pharmacies or organic grocers; can also be created by boiling pennyroyal leaves in water & reducing, or substitute eucalyptus oil - be careful with the pennyroyal stuff, it can burn your skin)
Simmer all three over a low fire overnight, watching to make sure it doesn't burn.
(i have used this one and can attest to its efficacy)

Wells:
Olive oil, 1/2 pint
creosote, 1 oz
pennyroyal oil, 1 oz
camphor, 1 oz
stir

Breck:
Pine tar: 3 oz
Olive or Castor oil: 2 oz
Pennyroyal oil, 1 oz
citronella (you can find non-toxic bug dope that consists exclusively of citronella; in my experience, it is totally ineffective. smells nice though): 1 oz
Creosote: 1 oz
pulvirized camphor, 1 oz
vasoline as needed
heat all ingredients and stir until desired consistency is reached

all of these are 100% natural (except maybe the vaseline) and won't burn your skin off like DEET does, plus they are efficacious and smell pretty good.

i took these from a book called the Way of the Woods by Edward Breck; overall it's a very nice primer for long-term bush living. i went ahead and uploaded it here in case anybody is curious
https://www.scribd.com/doc/310416044/The-Way-of-the-Woods-Breck

i have something in the neighborhood of 25 gigs of bushcraft/survival pdfs and i'd be happy to upload more if people are interested, i also have some that are specifically catered towards wetlands survival if people are having bug problems. they're mostly oriented towards boreal zones (that is to say, the northern US, Canada, and Alaska) but if you just list an aspect of outdoor living you would like to know more about, odds are good i have a document pertaining to it :)

black children fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 26, 2016

black children
Dec 14, 2009
the sad thing is, the toxic bug zones are some of the few places left on this gay earth where you can still find unspoilt, untrodden wilderness. if you want to hike for weeks without seeing another human being, you unfortunately generally have to go to places that normal humans find too horrible to visit. just the world we live in :shrug:

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Epitope posted:

I'm g.ay for meselfs and black children :ssh:

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Noun Verber posted:

Ok thanks, you guys had me worried. That would have been some pathetically spergy poo poo if it was earnest. ":bahgawd: HE'S WEARING THE WRONG SHOES GET EM"

quote:

Like, it's walking. Don't be so pretentious you guys.

spoken like true day-hike scum

• Locked thread