Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Wrong type of hiking gear? How about anyone that's still using a tent? Hammock up or GTFO :smuggo:

barring the one or two places without, you know, trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

forkbucket posted:

You could look into a light weight hammock stand for above treeline camping. Or string it up between two nice rocks!

Like this:

This guy knows what's up

Levitate posted:

To be honest hammock's just seem like more of a hassle to me than I'm willing to deal with. They don't really seem appreciably lighter than lightweight tents and all that...really just comfort seems to be their selling point which is cool and all but not worth making the switch unless I end up really having trouble with tent camping.

Unless you already spent :homebrew: on a tent, they're usually much lighter, quicker to set up, substantially more comfortable, and you can cook inside it to boot. It's also the little things, like being able to sit down and take your boots on/off, or being able to pack up/set up under your tarp while it's raining.

Once you go hammock, you never go back

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Bright side of mountains: no bugs

Downside of mountains: Poop does not decompose, so it's basically an open sewer

I think I'll stick below the treeline, please and thank you

• Locked thread