Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I know it's not hiking, but it loving infuriates me when I see assholes on stand up paddle boards without a pfd or lifejacket. Mutherfucker, nobody wants your bloated corpse washing up on the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I didn't think hiking was such a heavily regulated sport.
Different classes for terrain / trails?
10 essentials?
I've never heard of any of this. I was under the impression that hiking was simply walking in the woods. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people take it super serious and sperg out about every aspect.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yarville posted:

The 10 essentials isn't something extreme or super serious, it's just basic safety. Carry water, food, shelter, etc. If I'm going to unfamiliar territory or planning on doing anything more than a planned <8 hour hike in familiar territory I'm carrying the full 10. It's stupid not to.

I agree, and the whole list is pretty much common sense. I'd just never heard any kind of codified name for "basic supplies in case something unexpected happens". Well, I suppose that might be called "basic survival kit". I'm surprised water, or at least some form of water treatment, didn't make the list. I mean, you can survive a few days lost in the wilderness without extra food. Good luck without water.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Y'all don't need to worry so much about keeping your pack weight down if you bring along a pack goat!

Learned about this excellent idea in the TFR thread Neckbeards in the bush. Does anal in the woods make a sound?

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

So, if we are going to be talking about TFR and Hiking there is a subject that will need to come up.

This:

So, goats. Goats are herd animals. If you stay the leader of the herd they follow you. You let them grow their horns they can defend themselves and you. If a predator does decide you look tasty, odds are they are going to think your goats look tastier and take one of them.

You don't need to feed them, they are goats, they eat everything along the path.

If you need to carry more gear, you just add more goats. Weight? Who cares, I have goats.

I've been out with my grandfather's pack goats and they just follow you at whatever pace you set, eating the brush along the way. They stick to you like glue, don't stray at all. Aren't afraid of gunfire (we were testing that when we went out with them).

All in all they just love going out, and don't mind the pack at all, and you can easily distribute pretty much any amount of gear between the goats.

• Locked thread