Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I grew up in the countryside 8 miles from a major UK city, and was privileged to be old enough to truly appreciate the start of the big hiking craze in the mid 1980s. It was us, a pack of kids in short shorts, t-shirts and jelly shoes (worse version of crocs) in the summer, and jeans, parkas, and Wellington boots in the winter, racing "townies" across the very flat moors and up the edges who were in full bright neon hiking gear + rucksacks + climbing gear costing hundreds of pounds. "hey mister you know there is a bus stop a mile away back to town and right". My old dad still gets a chuckle out of them as he tramps across the moors in old jogging bottoms and wellies to this day.

Best part about this is that 5 miles away in a different direction there are actual mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The ultralight guy? Is he unlikeable in person? 'cos ultralight means I can still keep hiking with a dickie knee.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because you live in the peak district where there are caves, or alternatively Youth Hostels.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What do you use to camp out there? I'm thinking about switching from a one man tent to one of those nifty four seasons Bivy Sacks with the hoop so you can sit up in it instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Perfect meselfs thank you, looks like I can pick it up cheaper here than the Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy I have been eyeing as well.

My child has been watching me view this subforum with a deep sense of foreboding and impending doom.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm full of I'm stuck in the house for the next week and spending imaginary money on gear questions today...Does anyone here own or know of anyone who owns a Garmin Oregon 600? I have the 450t and it worries me. The screen on the 450t is bevelled and some sort of non-scratch plastic coated e-ink thing, but the screen on the 600 is flat gorilla glass. I don't understand this. Surely it gives it the durability of an iPhone does it not?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I prefer my satmap 10 to anything else, it is admittedly more of a pain in the arse sometimes but the size of the screen and the cheapness of the 1:10000 O/S maps negate the flaws. The 400t is usually attached to a child with an active route back to a safe place and set up for geocashing.

Since I posted I discovered that you probably can hammer in tent pegs with the 600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Ab2lr4WVI

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's your own fault for living somewhere interesting really. I'd like to see an animal in the wild :( Animal rights activists let hundreds of minks free in our area in the 80s which promptly ate everything but the squirrels.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I feel you I really do. On the plus side the birds are doing fine and that's mostly down to farmers keeping a eye on protected areas/ the mini reserves and setting traps for mink, rats, and feral cats, which is quite sweet really as they don't have to police them and they do it at there own expense.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Cats are fine so long as they are kept in the house, but it's undeniable that they kill for fun and are very good at it, which ain't great for the local British wildlife and but is good for spiders of which we have quite the infestation.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Where is it that you go hiking again? I want to know so I can never go there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Few of the Monty python opening sequences with the "It's" man were filmed where my parent's garden would be 10 years later. The peak district is a lot like some of the places posted about here if they had much smaller peaks, actual paved paths for some of the main trails, you were never within a few hours from a bath, lots of tourists, and instead of big bugs there were midges.

I'm not joking about the path thing btw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you use google maps on your iPhone like a real pro?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After 20 years I am finally moving back into the arse end of nowhere, which has a popular hiking route* though it. Last time I was a teenager and therefore didn't appreciate it enough, and now I'm looking forward to really annoying the tourists with short shorts and flip flops again.

*It's one of those UK trails that people wear £500 worth of all weather gear for, and at no point are they more than a mile away from some sort of village, pub, or bus stop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

pointsofdata posted:

I think those paths are also to protect the route from you excessive erosion

They are yes, peak national park has invested a fortune in putting nice paths and stairs along vulnerable parts of the pennine way especially in the Edale/Castleton area. It still makes it really unimpressive when people brag about walking it, unless they keep on going north and out of youth hostel range. The biggest problem mountain rescue has is idiots using google maps as a map or geocaching on a Iphone and then ending up hosed when the heavy fog comes down and oops no battery, few years ago they said that call outs have gone up 180% since the invention of the smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There were always idiots with dogs, what there are now are less farmers walking around their land threatening to shoot dogs since quotas came in. They worked out that selling them to those big mega farm businesses meant they could retire to Spain and not get up at 3am in winter, and besides " the younger generation have no interest in farming and are going to sell up when Im dead anyway so gently caress 'em".

• Locked thread