Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
crampons aren't going to work well with trailrunners. in most conditions that require crampons you aren't going to want to be wearing them anyway. trailrunners are great for casual hiking/backpacking but gangrene bait garbage for serious mountaineering. kahtoola microspikes work very well with trailrunners for low traction stuff where you don't need a boot (ex: training hikes in the winter) any other brand I've tried like yaktrax etc are varying degrees of poo poo. Traction's good but they're not going to do you any good when they fall off your shoes and require constant adjustment.

if you're doing something that demands crampons but you're a trailrunner person, i'd suggest just wearing lighter weight boots. keen has some offerings around 2.5lb that are crampon compatible but aren't waterproof and run cold in the snow. vasque st elias gtx and soloman quest 4d gtx are 3.5lb and will keep your feet warm and bone dry in any environment.

learnincurve posted:

I grew up in the countryside 8 miles from a major UK city, and was privileged to be old enough to truly appreciate the start of the big hiking craze in the mid 1980s. It was us, a pack of kids in short shorts, t-shirts and jelly shoes (worse version of crocs) in the summer, and jeans, parkas, and Wellington boots in the winter, racing "townies" across the very flat moors and up the edges who were in full bright neon hiking gear + rucksacks + climbing gear costing hundreds of pounds. "hey mister you know there is a bus stop a mile away back to town and right". My old dad still gets a chuckle out of them as he tramps across the moors in old jogging bottoms and wellies to this day.

Best part about this is that 5 miles away in a different direction there are actual mountains.

I'm the dork who brings way too much gear with me when I dayhike. I like to train with the same amount of weight and the same pack I'd use for actual backpacking, don't judge me!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread