Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Drunkboxer posted:

Anyone who needs anything more than street clothes for a hike less than 15 miles is a loving pussy

Agreed, and anyone who gives anything but kudos to someone who's out hiking is loving retarded.

Every time I go out anywhere I see a group of friends dressed in immaculate probably never before used synthetic garb with trekking poles and other useless crap standing around talking about their hiking apps on their phones, in almost same place doing the same thing after I've reached the end and turned back. Is this the right thread to make fun of them?

ok I admit it I hate them mainly because I don't have friends. they're still stupid though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Moon Atari posted:

Usually I'd agree with this sentiment but once I saw two dudes setting out for a hike in vibram five fingers and the extreme mix of anger and smug superiority I felt caused me to have a seizure.

Shoot, I forgot about those atrocities, thx for the correction.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Epitope posted:

You ultra lite chumps can make believe you're Ueli Steck. I much prefer to role play as a Klondike prospector

I like ultralight (so that I can make more room for cowboy stuff :toughguy:), but seriously about the Klondike prospectors. This expedition (not prospecting, but still) is particularly impressive to me:

http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/12193010600/print

Can't help but wonder if that's Picnic's great grandmother.

Picnic Princess posted:

I would legit be embarrassed to even be seen with that kind of lovely packing job. How lazy can you possibly be.

Also animals are objectively better than people so I would rather go hiking with a goat than some weirdo person. Least I could do is pack like a not-idiot.

Any goat? I've known some very nice and very horrible goats. Like dogs or horses or people, they have a broad range of personalities.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I'm reminded of the woman who went missing in the Gorge in December - still missing. Short unprepared hikes can be disastrous, and according to Freedom of the Hills drizzle kills more people than -30°C wind.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Levitate posted:

eh, boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners can be a personal thing. I liked hiking in boots for a long time but switched to trail runners and wouldn't go back at this point. It does depend a bit on where you hike (I might lean back towards boots with some water proofing if I was hiking in wet areas a lot). Boots are usually heavier and stiffer and can help your ankles a bit in terms of support, but on the flip side they can also cause you to roll your ankles a bit more because their soles are thicker and raise you up off the ground a bit more. Trail runners are light and comfortable as hell but if you are carrying heavy weight I wouldn't use them, a boot or something thicker would be better.

Footwear really is kind of personal. If you really like your hiking shoes I'm sure they'd be absolutely fine, especially if you're not carrying a lot of weight. Boots aren't necessary to enjoy backpacking, but some people like them better (and it can be kind of fun to be able to stomp around over everything if need be). I'm not sure anyone can definitively tell you what would be best for you and your feet.

Footwear is indeed personal, but personally I've come to like trail runners so much that I giggle a bit when I see heavy boots.

Is it sacrilegious to put crampons on trail runners, btw?

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

crampons aren't going to work well with trailrunners. in most conditions that require crampons you aren't going to want to be wearing them anyway. trailrunners are great for casual hiking/backpacking but gangrene bait garbage for serious mountaineering. kahtoola microspikes work very well with trailrunners for low traction stuff where you don't need a boot (ex: training hikes in the winter) any other brand I've tried like yaktrax etc are varying degrees of poo poo. Traction's good but they're not going to do you any good when they fall off your shoes and require constant adjustment.

Guys, I know, I've tried. They work kind of bad, but being 80's made in (edit: West) Germany crampons they are replete with awful faux leather straps and work better than nothing.

I was just asking if it's sacrilegious.

meselfs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 5, 2016

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

learnincurve posted:

What do you use to camp out there? I'm thinking about switching from a one man tent to one of those nifty four seasons Bivy Sacks with the hoop so you can sit up in it instead.

YES

Do it

I recommend Bibler Tripod. Not being produced anymore, but its successor sucks; it's the only one out there that is perfectly sealed and has a hoop to keep the sack (if you could call it that) slightly off you.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Bugs can be super cool above treeline, every now and then swarms of butterflies make it over PNW cascade volcanoes, migrating. No idea why they'd prefer to straddle huge, prominent glaciated peaks.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

black children posted:

my typical outing lasts from 2-3 days to 5 months. i don't carry very much, usually just a big camp knife, a smaller folding knife, a hatchet, a few lighters, fishing tackle, tarp, a headlamp, water purifier, compass, rain slick, blanket if it's cold and maybe some floofy odds and ends like toiletries or some weed. back when i was in alaska you would get mobbed by mosquitoes, they were so bad i saw dudes pissing and making GBS threads themselves and passing out on the ground because they couldn't even draw a breath without inhaling a dozen+ bugs. when you pulled your dick out to piss youd have 3 or 4 instantly glom onto it and when you wiped your rear end after taking a poo poo you'd normally get a nice big smear of blood from all the bugs latched onto your asscrack and gooch. trying to apply enough bug dope to deal with that level of bugs is simply impossible. the only way to deal is to just build up a tolerance. i don't know why, but bugs will gradually bite you less if you just take it and let it happen. they tend to go more for the thin-skin types. i know it sounds crazy but it's true. also, as you get covered in sores and bites your skin gradually gets covered in a layer of rubbery scar tissue and you stop feeling the itch so much.

yer making me roudy

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Epitope posted:

I'm g.ay for meselfs and black children :ssh:

And I though I was lonely, turns out I'm in a love triangle.

Picnic Princess posted:

That movie was filmed in my backyard. I was probably in that same spot at some point. That's my claim to fame.

Everything has to be tastefully exaggerated in cinema to be interesting. So I guess Canada = tastefully exaggerated Montana.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Hobophobe posted:

This honestly bothers me. Who in their right mind pays $100+ for a pair of long johns?

Those aren't for hiking! Those are for wearing in the city when you go to the coffee shop across the street from the yoga pants boutique that has sterile outdoor scenes plastered on the wall.

Recently there was this guy skiing uphill in freezing weather with snow coming down in only a cotton t shirt and jeans amongst all the downhill goers clad in down. Then, after a 2000ft ascent, he put on a windbreak and tried to ski back down, tumbling as this was his first skiing experiment. That guy was me :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Haha I am totally the asshat in a t-shirt on winter days but that's because I radiate a poo poo ton of heat when I'm physically active. I don't even do my coat up when I go outside until it's -20 or else I roast to death.

Ha, you too!? Wait, you're making fun of me. Wait, which thread am I in?

• Locked thread