Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
The lady got me a new compass, but it doesnt having a sighting hole :sterv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Flambeau posted:

In an effort to not be featured in this thread in a few months, can y'all give me an idea of the type of clothing/gear I'll need for beginner-level backpacking in northern Montana in late July? Or things I should definitely avoid?

I just booked for a 3-day small group guided backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. It's billed as an introduction to backpacking; they'll provide a pack, tent, and sleeping bag. I only have recent experience with day hiking in Tennessee, and haven't been camping in probably 15 years.

My current gears consists of basic Merrell hiking shoes and a rain jacket. Should I upgrade to boots? What sort of pants should I have? I'm bald, so a hat is necessary - would a whirly bird hat provide comfort and lift?

greetings goon. merrels are good but they're not a great replacement for true boots. i would go ahead and buy a nice pair. they last forever and you will thank yourself for splurging. maybe youll even be encouraged to go outside more once youve spent the money on them. to me, this is probably your most important purchase for QoL

as for a hat, i dont think you should go crazy for a three day hike. i would probably just bring a baseball cap that's comfortable and breathes well

for pants i would probably pack cargo khakis and shorts, one pair of each

youll also need to buy some water containers, like a bladder for your backpack and a nalgene

bring several pairs of long socks, and a couple wool pairs for night. youll want to be able to change into fresh socks as much as you desire

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Levitate posted:

eh, boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners can be a personal thing. I liked hiking in boots for a long time but switched to trail runners and wouldn't go back at this point. It does depend a bit on where you hike (I might lean back towards boots with some water proofing if I was hiking in wet areas a lot). Boots are usually heavier and stiffer and can help your ankles a bit in terms of support, but on the flip side they can also cause you to roll your ankles a bit more because their soles are thicker and raise you up off the ground a bit more. Trail runners are light and comfortable as hell but if you are carrying heavy weight I wouldn't use them, a boot or something thicker would be better.

Footwear really is kind of personal. If you really like your hiking shoes I'm sure they'd be absolutely fine, especially if you're not carrying a lot of weight. Boots aren't necessary to enjoy backpacking, but some people like them better (and it can be kind of fun to be able to stomp around over everything if need be). I'm not sure anyone can definitively tell you what would be best for you and your feet.

This is a really good point I think, and a good rebuttal to my post. I am a huge fan of my boots, and I've definitely gotten value out of the purchase from years of use. I put them on even for little baby hikes just because they are so broken in, waterproof, and durable. My perspective on good boots is skewed, but I still maintain that they're a nice buy, especially if you take some time to break them in before your trip, like the guy posted below Levitate. That's very key to maximum enjoyment..

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Permethrin is extremely ownage. fuuck ticks

• Locked thread