Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
The only time I'll go geartard is when it's wet/muddy out. I have a nice pair of Zamberlans because gently caress having wet feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

I just bought some chocos did I fail? They were the most comfortable shoes that I tried on.

You're only as comfortable as your feet are, so I think you're good.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Flambeau posted:

In an effort to not be featured in this thread in a few months, can y'all give me an idea of the type of clothing/gear I'll need for beginner-level backpacking in northern Montana in late July? Or things I should definitely avoid?

I just booked for a 3-day small group guided backpacking trip in Glacier National Park. It's billed as an introduction to backpacking; they'll provide a pack, tent, and sleeping bag. I only have recent experience with day hiking in Tennessee, and haven't been camping in probably 15 years.

My current gears consists of basic Merrell hiking shoes and a rain jacket. Should I upgrade to boots? What sort of pants should I have? I'm bald, so a hat is necessary - would a whirly bird hat provide comfort and lift?

My two cents on the footwear thing would be this: you're only as comfortable as your feet are. If you have hiking shoes that you like, stick with them. If you're going to swap to boots, do it soon and break them in. Don't wear something you're not comfortable with and don't be dumb and try something new a week before your trip. This goes with socks/liners, too.

I bought a pair of Zamberlans thinking that I "had to" upgrade to boots if I was going to backpack. They're nice, but I barely ever wear them -- only when I know I'm going to be walking through standing water (they're awesomely waterproof) -- as I prefer the comfort of my everyday walkers: Merrill or Keen.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Picnic Princess posted:

That movie was filmed in my backyard. I was probably in that same spot at some point. That's my claim to fame.

I'm legit jealous. Beautiful country right there.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Guys, you just walk up Denali. So easy -- I wore my crocs!

• Locked thread