Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The cart made it like a mile before it broke and he abandoned it on the trail

e: link (requires archives)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Willfrey posted:

i did a 12 mile daytrip with a light backpack. got a kick out of a group of four doing the same loop the opposite way, with giant packs red faced and huffing wind 2 miles from the parking lot. Chit chatted with em, learned they were not staying overnight.

I've done that when training for longer hikes. Helps get your body ready for carrying weight while hiking

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol at people who hike with expensive next gen console, I like to hike with my old NES just to troll people because new consoles can't match the artistry of classic games

enjoy paying $400 for the wrong kind of RAM lol

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dude started hiking in pt. Reyes nat sea shore, complained how hard the hills were, made it 20 miles in like 4 days and then quit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Lol yeah wasn't he all like "I can't cook and don't like food but these raisins will be ok for my 3000 mile trek"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I use comfy trail runners.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

black children posted:

Or your corporate sponsors :cool
but yeah seriously, Amen. Wool and canvas. A lot of people make really silly decisions about what to take in the woods.

wool and canvas suck poo poo if you have to carry a lot of it a long ways

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ya'll like teenagers trying to prove how tough you are "hell yeah look at my 70 lb pack I'm a badass no I just have genetically bad knees I swear hold on can we rest a minute"

For serious though decently lightweight stuff has helped a lot of people keep hiking and backpacking after they've reached the point where their body just can't handle lugging heavy stuff around in the back country anymore

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

eh, boots vs hiking shoes vs trail runners can be a personal thing. I liked hiking in boots for a long time but switched to trail runners and wouldn't go back at this point. It does depend a bit on where you hike (I might lean back towards boots with some water proofing if I was hiking in wet areas a lot). Boots are usually heavier and stiffer and can help your ankles a bit in terms of support, but on the flip side they can also cause you to roll your ankles a bit more because their soles are thicker and raise you up off the ground a bit more. Trail runners are light and comfortable as hell but if you are carrying heavy weight I wouldn't use them, a boot or something thicker would be better.

Footwear really is kind of personal. If you really like your hiking shoes I'm sure they'd be absolutely fine, especially if you're not carrying a lot of weight. Boots aren't necessary to enjoy backpacking, but some people like them better (and it can be kind of fun to be able to stomp around over everything if need be). I'm not sure anyone can definitively tell you what would be best for you and your feet.

Lots of people like the "tilly hat" style for hiking/backpacking since it provides some coverage for your ears and neck. I wouldn't pay for a name brand tilly hat, but most outdoors places sell hats with a brim that goes all the way around (I just use a baseball/trucker hat for vanity reasons).

I'd go with convertible hiking pants (you can zip off the legs at the thighs to make shorts) rather than shorts and pants so you're not carrying as much, but the argument against that would probably be if you get one wet or something you can switch to the other if you're carrying both.

Get a nice, lightweight synthetic shirt, I'd recommend long sleeves that you can roll up but I've been on a cover up as much skin as I can so I don't have to put sunscreen on it kick.

Pack long underwear bottoms and tops for sleeping in and if it gets cold. I'll also switch into them after hiking all day so I can dry out or wash out my hiking clothes. Depends on how you feel about walking around in front of people in long underwear if you're in a group.

I usually just carry two pairs of hiking socks and wash one pair out after hiking and then set them out to dry while switching to the others and wearing them at night, but it sometimes takes awhile to dry. You don't really need the biggest thickest hiking socks or anything but again, it's a somewhat personal thing...do you like using a liner sock to prevent blisters? Do you like the extra thick cushioning? etc.

Are they also providing food and cooking supplies (including eating utensils) and water treatment?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Oh yeah, definitely break in any new equipment, even if it's just your shirt and shorts and socks, before an overnight trip. Put it all on and go for a hike, see how things feel and if there are problems that you can identify when on a day hike before they can become bigger problems on a multi day trip. A poorly placed seam that causes some discomfort would be good to know about before you find it chaffing a whole lot in the back country.

And seconding the sleeping pad, forgot about that. They're pretty important for keeping you warm as you lose a lot of heat through the ground when you compress the insulation of your sleeping bag. Plus they're more comfortable than the ground itself.

Picnic Princess posted:

Not a work pic, hopefully it's sufficient

chipmunk's gonna gently caress you up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Spray all your cloths with Permethrin a couple of days before you go.

Don't spray DEET on nylon poo poo, it's bad for it.

I'm pretty neutral on whether DEET is bad for you or whatever, I used it growing up and don't have too many problems as far as I can tell...Picaridin is supposed to be safer and still effective but I haven't had a lot of opportunity to test it.. Mosquitoes were mostly gone in the mountains by July last year around here

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

meselfs posted:

Footwear is indeed personal, but personally I've come to like trail runners so much that I giggle a bit when I see heavy boots.

Is it sacrilegious to put crampons on trail runners, btw?

Like I said I'm not sure I'd use trail runners if I was carrying 40+ lbs or something but they are great for what I usually carry (around 30 lbs max these days)

I think real crampons don't work well on trail runners because the shoes aren't stiff enough to hold them in place, so you're more likely to twist around in them rather than have a good stable platform. Things like microspikes seem to be OK, but I'm basing this off what I've read while trying to decide if I should get some traction devices this year.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You mean everywhere above the tree line were it is awesome to camp?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bongwizzard posted:

Trees are great, why would you go somewhere with no trees?

Because camping places like this is awesome

(some small white pines in the sub alpine zone but probably hard to find a good hammock spot)

At over 11k feet there's not much in the way of trees

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

To be honest hammock's just seem like more of a hassle to me than I'm willing to deal with. They don't really seem appreciably lighter than lightweight tents and all that...really just comfort seems to be their selling point which is cool and all but not worth making the switch unless I end up really having trouble with tent camping.

learnincurve posted:

What do you use to camp out there? I'm thinking about switching from a one man tent to one of those nifty four seasons Bivy Sacks with the hoop so you can sit up in it instead.

Regular ol' UL tent but I'd play around with just a tarp setup if I was going solo a lot (mostly been backpacking with my wife and she's not going to go for a tarp setup). Tarp, groundsheet, and practice pitching it in different ways should be good enough for the Sierra Nevada

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

dude have you even ever been high?!

:colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Noun Verber posted:

Ok thanks, you guys had me worried. That would have been some pathetically spergy poo poo if it was earnest. ":bahgawd: HE'S WEARING THE WRONG SHOES GET EM"

I mean I do make fun of people who are woefully under prepared but actually hope that they're not going to hurt themselves

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

go late summer/early fall and there will be far fewer mosquitos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

should be using second skin on those burns, not gauze