Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

suboptimal posted:

Can we talk about bikepacking here too? I'm a mountain biker, and I've got some plans for some trips in and around the George Washington National Forest in spring and early summer.

I motion that we can and should.

I've only been bikepacking twice and both times it totally kicked my rear end. First time my tires/tire pressure wasn't ideal and I had 4 flats in 2 days, second time it just took a lot out of me and I got really sick afterwards.

That said, I feel like I've learned a lot about the process and would love to give it another shot. This site http://www.oregonbikepacking.com/ has been a good source of inspiration for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

suboptimal posted:

I grew up in Oregon, spent a lot of time near Bend as a kid and doing a Deschutes ride is way up on my bucket list!

What kind of bike are you bikepacking on? I'm considering turning my Ice Cream Truck (26" wheel size fat bike) into my "adventure/expedition bike," and I've quickly learned that tire pressure is king on that kind of bike. Fortunately, all of my other mountain bikes could accommodate my gear, but I love my ICT's can-do vibe.

I was on a Surly Long Haul Trucker with 35mm wide "bulletproof" tires, store-bought panniers front and back. I found that this setup is great for roads and things mostly resembling roads, but on super lovely forest service roads or singletrack it certainly was left wanting. My friend was on a Surly Troll with some semi-custom gear solution and kicked my rear end up and down on anything that wasn't pure road or twilight hours. She's way more fit than me and has 6 months more experience than I do with bikepacking while I've been mostly doing pansy-rear end road touring.

The one big thing I've taken from all bike touring is that everyone has their own setup and since they all have great attitudes and the willingness to pedal, it all works out in the end. So if you are enjoying your Ice Cream Truck, I would do the incremental improvements you know you want and not worry too much about envying anyone else's setup unless you're willing to drop 3 grand on some grand scheme.

• Locked thread