Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
I want to get into Bikepacking this year and was looking for some gear suggestions. I'm a big backpacker and mountain biker but I want to combine the two and spend some nights out on that tasty tasty single track. I am thinking about taking my daypack and going out with a hammock, change of clothes, rain coat, some misc tools/tubes, food and a water filter. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I've been scoping out different websites but I guess I am looking for the "works well enough" type gear since I don't make enough to buy real gear more than once a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^This

Also, what kind of distance targets do you guys typically shoot for? 60 miles a day? 80? Or is it just dependent on the section? Do you sprinkle riding throughout the day with rest stops or try to knock out a big chunk early?

My goal is to run the Ohio to Erie trail later this year, which is ~300 miles and I'm just not sure what kind of time frame, gear, and preparation I need to do to get ready. Most I've ridden is ~45 miles total in a day, of which only 26 was contiguous. I get a solid 20 miles in every day with commuting, but I just haven't found a group to do longer rides with.

Here is a nice resource for ~real~ manufactured gear I haven't ordered anything from here but when I do, I'll post a little about the quality and any use I get out of it. Apparently, one of the companies (a married couple from Russia) charges less that $200 and makes the bags to custom fit your bike, which seems like a fairly affordable option. Here is mtbr forum discussion about their products.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions for make-shift packs/bags I'd love to hear it since real gear is often expensive.

I'm thinking about doing a ~45 mi loop in southern Va in a few weekends so I'll report back with some details.

• Locked thread