Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

And where do you spend most of your time?

I'll start: Calgary, Canada. Spend most of my outdoor time in the central Canadian Rockies, mainly Kananaskis Country and Banff National Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Austin, Texas. The outdoorsy stuff here is too urban unless you're off at Enchanted Rock or something. I'll hop a bus down to Coahuila three times a year for rappelling, dancing and drinking.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! I live in North San Diego County and while I've only been living independently here for about a year and haven't been to any hiking spots, I got my scuba cert recently and can drive about an hour north or south to get to good dive spots.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Right now I'm in an idling bus in the Poulsbo, Washington Transit Center.

In general I'm from "The Pacific Northwest", which includes Portland, Montana and Northern California.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Moved to the San Francisco Bay Area last year and being within driving distance of the Sierra is sweet rear end

Also the biking around here is awesome and I can go hiking in the headlands within like a half mile

Now if only I had money

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

East Tennessee is a good place to be for outdoor stuff. Especially with the AT right next door.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Blue Raider posted:

Especially with the AT right next door.

I thought that was in Argentina?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Norfolk, UK, a flat part of the world. However, I live in the same country as the isle of Skye so I go there every April/May if I get the chance

Top hiking destination that I haven't done is the Semien Mountains in Ethiopia, would also love to go back to America and hike in the Rockies.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
North/Central idaho.

Do most my hiking in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. Cool country.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vancouver Island. Outdoor time is mostly spent ocean kayaking or car camping. Straight of Georgia/Desolation Sound/Broken Group Islands(Pac. Rim National Park) for kayaking, and various Forest Service Recreation sites W/NW of Campbell River for car camping.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

New York City. Plenty of cool nature stuff on the MetroNorth railroad if I feel so inclined, but I'll wait til spring.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sierra foothills near Sacramento. Lotta good fishing and camping, and of course off road stuff of all kinds

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
The Bronx. I hike in the Poconos when the rare opportunity arises.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I live in Pittsburgh. Appalachia is beautiful but you have to sort of go off the beaten path to really explore it on foot because in Pennsylvania "outdoors activity" means hunting so that's all its really set up for

But my fav place to hike etc is either California or Hawaii

Troutful
May 31, 2011

New Jersey :negative:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Troutful posted:

Whereabouts? Go to eastern PA and check out the Delaware water gap or the poconos, or stay in NJ and check out the pine barrens they're cool

Troutful
May 31, 2011

alnilam posted:

Whereabouts? Go to eastern PA and check out the Delaware water gap or the poconos, or stay in NJ and check out the pine barrens they're cool

Central. I hiked part of the AT at the Delaware water gap last weekend, and I've been meaning to visit the pine barrens. Mostly I just stick to the local parks though

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Troutful posted:

:hf:
North or South?

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Northern VA. I've hiked on part of the Appalachian trail and some of the parks around here. I recently joined a DC Urbex group so I'm looking forward to doing that whenever a new meet is scheduled.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

CT to CA man CT to CA

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Boston. Outdoors spots include western MA and Vermont mostly.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Eastern Canada BRAH

Bacchus
Mar 9, 2008
Oahu HI, great short trails and waterfalls but no backpacking

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bacchus posted:

Oahu HI, great short trails and waterfalls but no backpacking

Go to kauai and do the kalalau/na-pali trail and spend at least 2 nights out at kalalau, is amazing

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Australia, the perpetually hot, dry and poisonous part. I have the bibbulmun, the munda biddi, the yurrebilla, and all over the malonga gilderchuck.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

People argue with me about my nationality and insist I am Canadian. The Quebecuois just assume I am one of their own and start babbling at me in "French." If so many people insist that I am an Eastern Canadian, I must be. And all of my Canukistani time has been spent in Montreal. Must be from there. And I walked up the mountain once with a nice view of a derelict parking garage. My rigorous life as a Northern outdoorsman whose veins flow with maple sap has prevented me ever needing take advantage of glorious socialized healthcare.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Denver, it is a wilderness mecca.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I'm from Oregon and like to try and get lost to see how long I can last survival camping (not very long, as it turns out). Oregon's great for it because while it's not impossible to get lost, it's pretty difficult to put yourself in real danger.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I'm from Chicago, Illinois. We have some decent parks in northern Illinois, and just across the border in Wisconsin. I've hiked Kettle Moraine and Starved Rock, though my favorite is backpacking in the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sinnlos posted:

I'm from Chicago, Illinois. We have some decent parks in northern Illinois, and just across the border in Wisconsin. I've hiked Kettle Moraine and Starved Rock, though my favorite is backpacking in the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Porkies are great. I did the big loop over 5 days 8 years ago. The 17 miles along the lake were really rad.

Also you should go hike pictured rocks also in the UP. Super nice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Originally from Michigan (west coast) then moved to Chicago for 10 years and just moved to seattle this summer.

Being less than an hour from legitimate mountains and wilderness is the best thing ever.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Colorado Springs. We have 3 city parks that have extensive hiking and climbing (bolted and trad routes), plus tons of National Forest nearby, and also a pretty neat mountain. If I'm not hanging out here, I'm up in the ranges throughout the state. Saturday is a backpack in RMNP; woot!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Save me jeebus posted:

Colorado Springs. We have 3 city parks that have extensive hiking and climbing (bolted and trad routes), plus tons of National Forest nearby, and also a pretty neat mountain. If I'm not hanging out here, I'm up in the ranges throughout the state. Saturday is a backpack in RMNP; woot!

We are you going in the park? On snow shoes? We headed out of bear lake two Sundays ago to ski. The skinning was nice, decent amount of snow.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

We are you going in the park? On snow shoes? We headed out of bear lake two Sundays ago to ski. The skinning was nice, decent amount of snow.

Snowshoes, yeah. Not sure where we're going; we've done Loch Vale before as a snow camp and it's pretty fun, but really windy. I've only ever been to the Loch in winter and Longs in fall, so I'm sort of thinking about some new scenery.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Memphis. I spend the majority of my time in front of my computer. When I want to hike, I go west to the Arkansas sticks for a weekend with my friends or east to my kin in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I live in Kanab, Utah. I'm convinced we've got some of the best hiking in the world, or at least America, in my backyard. If I wasn't such an antisocial goon sperg I'd show you guys around.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
From the PNW but live in Finland. I miss mountains but am now of the bog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Outside of DC. I mostly hike in order to fish, which works out well with all the water we have around here.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

New Hampshire and I hike in the Whites mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Olympia, WA. Perfect location w/ driving distances to all the cool poo poo in the PNW.

• Locked thread